How the multiplier worked

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City might have been AA with 391 students...but Manassas would have been A anyway with 336 students.

Size of the school does not usually matter near as much in basketball rather than football. It wouldn't bother me to have one or two classes for basketball...softball...and baseball.

You might do a little more research than just the current TSSAA enrollment figures. It has been pretty well publicized in West Tennessee that Manassas and Westside merged this year and put the Manassas enrollment somewhere around 700. I realize this is an anomaly that will be corrected at the next re-alignment period, but it doesn't change the fact that Manassas was a 2A sized school this year.

I agree with your assertion that size is a less significant factor in basketball than in football. It would not bother me in the least to see us drop classification altogether. I've been consistent on that point throughout my discussions on this board.

your concern for the small public is touching soupersteve.

but arent you a supporter for a small private that could get back into 1-A without the multiplier?

who is it wanting to see competition removed?

i dont remember hearing any of the publics talk about union city's student count,

and i know one of the coaches they beat on the way.

I love your sense of humor. I really do!

I have been a supporter of a Boyd-Buchanan for about twenty years. It would have been hard not to do so since my three children competed for the Bucs and Lady Bucs! I'm not wanting competition to be removed. BBS has not dodged any competition. They have competed fairly well over those twenty years in whatever district, region and/or classification they have been placed. They have not always been successful as far as wins and losses are concerned, but they have always competed well. Isn't that what it is all about?

I am a graduate of a 3A public school and have five siblings and in-laws who teach in public schools -- four of them small, rural class A schools. I am sympathetic to their plight. They have a much better chance of competing with Columbia Academy (for instance) than they will ever have of competing against Union City.

I don't suspect you will hear any public school coach decry the ramifications of the multiplier re: losing to another public school. It wouldn't be PC to voice those concerns through the media. I heard some of it in the coaches's "break room" at Murfreesboro. I also suspect you would have heard quite an outcry in the media of how the multiplier did not work had Temple pulled the improbable upset of Union City in the first round.

I'm all for competition. I have consistently been supportive of eliminating classification, especially in basketball.

My main point in raising the question in this thread is to point out the consequences of some actions taken in the last few years. When you buy the bull, you get the horns.

You might do a little more research than just the current TSSAA enrollment figures. It has been pretty well publicized in West Tennessee that Manassas and Westside merged this year and put the Manassas enrollment somewhere around 700. I realize this is an anomaly that will be corrected at the next re-alignment period, but it doesn't change the fact that Manassas was a 2A sized school this year.

I agree with your assertion that size is a less significant factor in basketball than in football. It would not bother me in the least to see us drop classification altogether. I've been consistent on that point throughout my discussions on this board.

This is the third year of the four-year classification period, with new two-year football schedules. Manassas could have easily been moved up for this school year, probably AA basketball and 3A football but as usual on such things, the TSSAA dropped the ball. Walker Valley thrived playing 3A football and Class AA in other sports with as many as 1200 students, for the same reason, won region and district titles in nearly everything but hasn't done much since.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the third year of the four-year classification period, with new two-year football schedules. Manassas could have easily been moved up for this school year, probably AA basketball and 3A football but as usual on such things, the TSSAA dropped the ball. Walker Valley thrived playing 3A football and Class AA in other sports with as many as 1200 students, for the same reason, won region and district titles in nearly everything but hasn't done much since.

Just goes to show that any system has flaws and loopholes that give advantages to some schools some of the time. Many of these are corrected in time (like re-classification for schools that grow larger or merge and the multiplier placed on D1 privates for having greater rates of student participation) while some of them are more nebulous and difficult to "correct" (like better facilities, more fan support, more parental involvement, more money, etc.).

One thing you seem to be assuming, when you talk about regular-season difficulties, is that you would still have to play the same teams as both your regular-season league and your first-round playoff bracket. The plan I proposed scraps that requirement--you play whoever you want in the regular season, and then the merit-based tier decides your playoff opponents.