notre dame-19 vs. bledsoe-0

cchsjets08

Bledsoe County is a new soccer team that is co-ed. Anyone that knows Jim Schermerhorn, knows he would never run up a score on any team. Bledsoe only got the ball into the ND end of the field a couple times. ND played two goalies, and I do not remember the starting goalie touching the ball and the backup goalie touched it once. ND played all the young players they had. There was a time that Bledsoe played about 15 minutes with only 10 players on the field, just because they miscounted their subs. ND had to play Beldsoe because they are in their district and they will improve over the year, but they really should be playing a JV schedule this year. While there are many ways to not run up a score, sometimes they do not work. Even the ND young kids were a lot more experienced soccer players compared to the Bledsoe players and you can pass and pass, but sooner or later in soccer, you are going to shoot if the ball stays in front of the net that long.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officially Week 2 now I guess. I've seen MJUHB's ranking method called into question, a few shoulda, woulda, coulda's, a thread on how TSSAA doesn't get soccer, and the first thread about running up the score.

I don't know the coaches and didn't see the game. Those two together mean that that I can't know the game situation or the coaches' heart. There are times where these things just happen. Even with a mercy rule, it still requires the coach on the losing end to ask for mercy. With the professionalism exhibited by most of the High School soccer coaches that I have seen, I think that a losing coach could ask for and receive some form of mercy from the coach on the winning side of the game.

The problem comes in when we THINK that we know a coach or player by seeing their team play and making judgements by what appear to be patterns to us. A few games in one season, give'm a break. Remember even in a district with lopsided soccer talent, there are other competitions between these schools that drive the rivalry and minds of these KIDS.

I don't know about all the districts, but some do use a 10 point system for ranking teams in district standings.

To ND, I mean no disrespect. I don't know the coach but I entirely doubt that he had harmful intent. It's just that I feel sorry for the teams that just don't have as much talent and games end up like that. Like I said before, they're trying just as hard. Sometimes it does come down to stats. Maybe it did in this game, maybe it didn't. Seeing as how I didn't see the game, that's not my call to make. Just for future games, I wish that scores were kept down. Use your judgement as to how high is too high. Just don't jump on a team too hard for a high score. Especially on these threads. On these threads, the people against the high score outnumber the people that are indifferent so don't gang up on them. it's just as unfair as a soccer team with way more talent than another. you just make them look bad. But here again, that's just my opinion

Does goal differential come into play in a tiebreaker situation?

If so, that's all the justification any team needs in running up the score, at least in district matches.

But hey, revenge is often served. Ten years ago, Oakland beat White County 21-0. Those schools play again this year, and the Warriors have a good shot at winning that game.

Guest mustangrein21

This argument happens EVERY year, and you will always have people who are on both sides. The problem isn't that the people have different opinions on each sides, but that they get personal about teams or coaches (which is not allowed on these threads). Agree or disagree with the score, it could not have gotten to that point with a proper "slaughter" or "deficit" rule.

There is so much disparity in some of the districts with the (I hate to say) "stronger" tream districts, that goal differentials ARE going to be high. This is one (of the many) reasons I am in favor of a merit based system for sports in highschool. It puts everyone with teams in relatively equal talent pools, with the opportunity to go up or down as talent does. It gives those small rural schools a chance (outside of the rare cases).

There are mny problems in getting this off the ground, but I think it could work, and better than the "get rid of the privates" philosophy.

There is so much more to this than just Notre Dame's score. Think what you will, but please put some restraint in some of your posts.

a lot of us from Waverly and Camden agree with the merit based rule because we in 06 we both got into the state playoff and in the first round CPA beat us 42-7 and then turned around and beat camden 57-28. I don't believe private schools should be matched or put in the same distric, class. or region of public shcools.

a lot of us from Waverly and Camden agree with the merit based rule because we in 06 we both got into the state playoff and in the first round CPA beat us 42-7 and then turned around and beat camden 57-28. I don't believe private schools should be matched or put in the same distric, class. or region of public shcools.

don't think you can compare those football scores, this would have been more like a 133-0 football game. I know i have been on both ends of some high scores and we do try to restrict our players very early (by goal 3 or 4) in matches that seem like they could get out of hand. But sometimes even pulling your starters within 15 mins and restricting the reserves can end up with some lopsided scores. I have a hard time telling a player who plays very little not to score if giving the opportunity within our restrictions. I remember one game we told the kids to target the keepers hand to work on placement and the keeper dropped a few in the goal mouth. Sometimes it can't be help. Think a mercy rule would be a great solution.

So which is worse-- Having a team play keep-away and playing with restrictions--which can be humiliating or allowing your 2nd and 3rd teamers--who dont get much pt--a chance to play and score like their 1st string role models.

Not to mention. What was it Bobby Bowden said to Lou Holtz? Its my job to score and your job to stop us.

I am not saying 19-0 is OK, but if it was 2nd and 3rd stringers, they do deserve a chance as well.

So which is worse-- Having a team play keep-away and playing with restrictions--which can be humiliating or allowing your 2nd and 3rd teamers--who dont get much pt--a chance to play and score like their 1st string role models.

Cleveland played Sweetwater thursday and when it got to the 4 0 point a little under half way through the first half our coach put restrictions on us. By then he had put in everyone on the Varsity. Then at halftime he gave the defense chance to play up top and forwards had to play d and he just switched us up a little bit. I mean we can still have fun without having to score all the time.

I'm just taking this side becasue i know what it's like to be on the bad end of this deal and its not a good feeling at all.