Bearden VS. Catholic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all these questions about private schools does this help prove that private schools and public schools are on an unequal playing ground with the privates having a distinct advantage over the publics my question is this why not make them play up in triple A would this not make since I mean they beat a strong contender in Triple A year after year they compete for a state championship like last year CAK farragut played to a 1-0 farragut win so i think the privates would have better compittion going up a level and then it gives the small publics a chance that they obvioulsy don't have i mean the whole state championship in two A is privates for both boys and girls does anyone agree opr disagree?

We actually tied Farragut 1-1 and that score did not dictate the game. They outshot us something like 15-5, but our keeper had an amazing game. We also played a public school in the state finals (Hume Fogg) who beat a perennial powerhouse Notre Dame to get there, but I do get your point.

What I think needs to be done is to look at the reason WHY private schools in A/AA do so well in soccer. Obviously there is some disparity, easttnref, which you can see when looking at the state tournament, but I don't think the solution is to "just get rid of them" into AAA, because as a whole, very few A/AA teams do well against AAA teams.

I think it is something to look at (I am a fan of a merit program as you well know) but to continue this conversation, we'll have to move it to the public private debate forum.

On a last note, there are rumors of a "split" at the state tournament level in 2009. Don't know if it is true or not, though.

"How can a 20 year old play for a High School team?"

A 20 year old could not play for a high school team. Ricardo is not 20.

hahahaha people never cease to amaze me. i don't know who this ricardo kid is but i heard he can play.....so my question is why do people always assume that someone who can play or does really well is older than he really is, maybe people are just that good

hahahaha people never cease to amaze me. i don't know who this ricardo kid is but i heard he can play.....so my question is why do people always assume that someone who can play or does really well is older than he really is, maybe people are just that good

Shouldn't you be bowling or something?

The reason people said he was 20 is because he is an older player. Someone said he was a 17 year old freshman transfer years ago, but you know how those rumors fly.

We actually tied Farragut 1-1 and that score did not dictate the game. They outshot us something like 15-5, but our keeper had an amazing game. We also played a public school in the state finals (Hume Fogg) who beat a perennial powerhouse Notre Dame to get there, but I do get your point.What I think needs to be done is to look at the reason WHY private schools in A/AA do so well in soccer. Obviously there is some disparity, easttnref, which you can see when looking at the state tournament, but I don't think the solution is to "just get rid of them" into AAA, because as a whole, very few A/AA teams do well against AAA teams. I think it is something to look at (I am a fan of a merit program as you well know) but to continue this conversation, we'll have to move it to the public private debate forum.On a last note, there are rumors of a "split" at the state tournament level in 2009. Don't know if it is true or not, though.

so what about doing like what they did in baseball and softball and basketball not allowing the kids to play together in club in the offseason cause truly that is where the problem lies you and cathlolic have no kids that do not play club and i bet there is not an A/AA in east tn that its whole team plays club and it is just not even I know more recruiting is done during club than highschool but play on a club team that is not your whole highschool

"How can a 20 year old play for a High School team?"A 20 year old could not play for a high school team. Ricardo is not 20.

so what you are trying to say is he is 20 but his birth certificate says different

so what you are trying to say is he is 20 but his birth certificate says different

How can I say this more plainly...he is not 20.

The moneysh... guy with the cute name tried to make a cute comment about Ricardo. He used what is called hyperbole, or exageration. Unfortunately, these comments are often beleived by those reading these boards.

For example, one might read your previous comment and believe that CAK, or Catholic's complete high school team plays on the same club team. Obviously, that is a complete overstatement. All of Catholic's starters DO NOT play club. There are no more than 3 players that play on the same club team. I don't know the numbers at CAK, but I'm guessing that they are very similar.

so what about doing like what they did in baseball and softball and basketball not allowing the kids to play together in club in the offseason cause truly that is where the problem lies you and cathlolic have no kids that do not play club and i bet there is not an A/AA in east tn that its whole team plays club and it is just not even I know more recruiting is done during club than highschool but play on a club team that is not your whole highschoolso what you are trying to say is he is 20 but his birth certificate says different

How is that a private school issue?

The rule that you are stating about softball and basketball hurts rural schools a heck of a lot more than city schools. Think if a rural school wanted to start a club team. Who would play on it? Probably all of that high school team (or at least most) In the city, you have choices of clubs to play on, so the players are spread out. If you had the rule that less than 50% of the players could play on the team, then the rural school could not have a club (because they wouldn't have enough players to field the team). This is one of the reasons why we fought that.

10 of my 19 players play club soccer, and on multiple teams. The most that play together on one team is 3. They play with Bearden players, Carter players, Farragut players etc. Any kid from any school can do this, public or private.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that the club argument doesn't hold water with a public/private split, since there is no advantage that private schools have in playing club soccer that publics do not. Yes, maybe more private school soccer players are on club teams, but there is no rule that says that the same can't happen in public schools.

Either way, I think a merit system is best, but it won't happen.

I'm also going to move this to the public private debate forum, so that we can continue this discussion.

At Catholic, all of the starters except for Ricardo played club this past fall.

and i would say year after year that is the case

and i would say that g normally has more club players but this year numbers are down

and yes any kid can play club but with whose money you have to be exceptional to get scholarships on club teams and from the county i see alot we dont have to many come through like that and by and large people who pay for highschool can afford the cost of these club teams

think g what is the cost of these elite club teams in knoxville if you arent great you must have money and granted these kids on the good club teams are all good but how much did they pay out of pocket for the coaching they have recieved to this point in our community we rely on ex players and dads we can't afford much else