GC Basketball Head Coach

gibsoncounty5

Derek Copley is a top "college" prospect right now. He has played 2 years at Dyersburg State and I have heard that he's had pretty big SEC colleges look at him in baseball. Also, don't forget about Gaylon Moore. He played at Union and is now playing in England. He is a professional player as he does get paid for it even though it's not in the NBA.

I honestly think John would play better at Gibson Co. Dyer Co. is going to be too fast for him and might cause him to rush shots as well. Buckle, you claim he had no competition. I take it you were not at the TNT State Tournaments when he was double teamed by 2 6'2 kids. He still scored 23 or 25 in the game and that happened to be the championship game as well. He didn't have much competition against schools like Dyer and Medina but when playing Rutherford he did have to go up against a lot more athletic player in Mitchell Simpson. John even dropped 50 points in that game against Mitchell. They also played schools such as JCS and USJ and John held his own in those as well. I really hope he has a change of heart and winds up coming to Gibson Co., that's for sure!

I just asked and it is official that Coach Harshaw did resign, so it's a done deal.

I want to see Hudson play!!!!!! I still say he might get some playing time as a freshman...but I haven't seen him play. I take your word on the competetion argument....sounds like he at least did play against some tough teams. If he averaged 30 a game in the eighth grade and had 40 and 50 point games I don't see how he could not play. Yeah it might be fast and he might rush some shots buts thats the type of enviorment he needs to get better. If i'm not mistaken junior high only plays 7 minute quarters. Think about that ...50 points in a 28 minute game...Impressive!!!!!! People said Larry Bird was slow to. He can get faster and quicker..all kind of speed drills for that plus maximum effort compensates for alot to. If he goes to DC I say he is about to go through the most physically demanding period of his short career and that will be a tremendous benefit to him and his future. It's not uncommon to see a freshman play..not like it used to be although not alot of them play but the really good ones do.

Can Hudson shoot the three? What are his strengths in your opinion?

Can you tell me more about the Simpson kid? How good do you think he can be?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Hudson CAN nail the three!!!!! I'm telling you, for him to be 6'3 and can shoot like he can is AWESOME! He can also drive to the basket and post up. His strength in Jr. High was his ability to use his heigth and his ability to shoot. He also rarely got in foul trouble considering there are not many 6'3 kids in Jr. High and it'd be tempting for him to try and jump over everyone's back and rebound. He plays hard on defense as well. The only thing that will hurt him is his speed and he's not exactly slow. John averaged around 31-32 PPG this year as an 8th grader and that's not hyping up his stats either. Had that 50 point game and a couple of 40+ point games and ALOT of 30+ point games. His shooting coach was Butch Hopkins. Butch and John's family are pretty close and Butch has helped John with alot of things. I'd love to see John succeed in HS whether it is at Dyer Co. or Gibson Co. He's a good kid and can play ball well!

Mitchell Simpson is alot more athletic than John. The only problem for Mitchell will be his attitude. If Mitchell can stay out of trouble he can be just as good as John. Mitchell had a 51 point game against Medina and I know he scored 30 points quite often as he scored 30+ in 3 of the 6 games they played against us (SpringHill/Yorkville, the team John plays on). Mitchell is VERY quick and can handle the ball well. As I said, the only thing that'll get him is his attitude. I hope he stays out of the wrong crowd and has an awesome career at Gibson Co. and then a good college career if he does make it! Mitchell is about 6'1, I'm guessing. He can shoot the ball ANYWHERE on the floor and drives the lane well. I've seen him shoot the ball several times this year from NBA 3 pt. land and drill it. If his team is getting beaten badly though, he does tend to get frustrated and give up. If Mitchell stays out of trouble and plays with heart he will be just as good as John. That's another reason I was hoping John would come to GC due to the fact those 2 would almost be unstoppable in our District!

LOL, Hudson CAN nail the three!!!!! I'm telling you, for him to be 6'3 and can shoot like he can is AWESOME! He can also drive to the basket and post up. His strength in Jr. High was his ability to use his heigth and his ability to shoot. He also rarely got in foul trouble considering there are not many 6'3 kids in Jr. High and it'd be tempting for him to try and jump over everyone's back and rebound. He plays hard on defense as well. The only thing that will hurt him is his speed and he's not exactly slow. John averaged around 31-32 PPG this year as an 8th grader and that's not hyping up his stats either. Had that 50 point game and a couple of 40+ point games and ALOT of 30+ point games. His shooting coach was Butch Hopkins. Butch and John's family are pretty close and Butch has helped John with alot of things. I'd love to see John succeed in HS whether it is at Dyer Co. or Gibson Co. He's a good kid and can play ball well!

Mitchell Simpson is alot more athletic than John. The only problem for Mitchell will be his attitude. If Mitchell can stay out of trouble he can be just as good as John. Mitchell had a 51 point game against Medina and I know he scored 30 points quite often as he scored 30+ in 3 of the 6 games they played against us (SpringHill/Yorkville, the team John plays on). Mitchell is VERY quick and can handle the ball well. As I said, the only thing that'll get him is his attitude. I hope he stays out of the wrong crowd and has an awesome career at Gibson Co. and then a good college career if he does make it! Mitchell is about 6'1, I'm guessing. He can shoot the ball ANYWHERE on the floor and drives the lane well. I've seen him shoot the ball several times this year from NBA 3 pt. land and drill it. If his team is getting beaten badly though, he does tend to get frustrated and give up. If Mitchell stays out of trouble and plays with heart he will be just as good as John. That's another reason I was hoping John would come to GC due to the fact those 2 would almost be unstoppable in our District!

Are they still called the Yorkville Warriors. I went to 1st grade there.... lived in Mason Hall. Man that was along time ago. Did you know David Russell played at Yorkville. David Russell and my uncle play there togethere.

lol, that's awesome stuff!!!! Yes, It's still the Yorkville Warriors and the Spring Hill Hornets. This was the first year for Yorkville and Spring Hill to combine for basketball. They have been combined for years in Jr. High football. I really think this helped both the schools out basketball wise. It gave the schools a chance to win, a thing neither school has seen in a LONGGG time! Yorkville High School used to be a basketball POWERHOUSE in girls basketball! Do you remember the Galloway sisters by any chance? They are alot older than me (I'm only 20) but I've heard several stories of how good they were. There's been several awesome girl basketball players to walk through Yorkville High School and Yorkville Jr. High. The leading scorer in Gibson Co. history (boys and girls) came from Yorkville Jr. High. That being Tiffany Adkins whom went on to play college ball at Memphis. If I remember correctly Yorkville High School even won a state championship or something of that sort "back in the day".

lol, that's awesome stuff!!!! Yes, It's still the Yorkville Warriors and the Spring Hill Hornets. This was the first year for Yorkville and Spring Hill to combine for basketball. They have been combined for years in Jr. High football. I really think this helped both the schools out basketball wise. It gave the schools a chance to win, a thing neither school has seen in a LONGGG time! Yorkville High School used to be a basketball POWERHOUSE in girls basketball! Do you remember the Galloway sisters by any chance? They are alot older than me (I'm only 20) but I've heard several stories of how good they were. There's been several awesome girl basketball players to walk through Yorkville High School and Yorkville Jr. High. The leading scorer in Gibson Co. history (boys and girls) came from Yorkville Jr. High. That being Tiffany Adkins whom went on to play college ball at Memphis. If I remember correctly Yorkville High School even won a state championship or something of that sort "back in the day".

I don't remeber the Galloway girls but that dosen't mean I didn't see them play. All the old Gibson County schools were somewhat powerhouses in Girls Basketball.....being Kenton, Rutheford , Yorkville, and If I'm not mistaken Medina was pretty gopod to...I beleive David Russell started out coaching at Medina ( not 100% sure about that though). All that carried over to the GC girls when they all consolidated. The boys is still a mystery to me because I know for a fact back in the day Kenton, Rutheford , and Dyer all had alot of talented boys players. Kenton for the most part was always the better of the three but all had good players. Kenton even had a Mr. Basketball ...Timmy White in the early 80's(almost certain about that). Anthony Cannon from Kenton is one of the best highschool players I've ever seen, including todays players...but no AAU or exposure back then. He should be about 43 now ...I bet he can still play....LOL haven't seen him in years but he was a great player.

I've heard stories of all of those teams back in the day. I don't think Gibson Co. has ever been strong in boys basketball. I think they've made it to sub-state one time before only to get beaten by none other than Lorenzon Wright and BTW!

That had to have been a tough matchup!!!! The only reason I can think of is if maybe the most talented players don't even play in highschool....Some kids in Jackson don't play in highschool but if you see them on the playground you think...WOW!!!!!! Lota kids around here like that.

I'm sure it's like that in all major cities. Look at the AND1 Mixtape Tour. The players on there are UNBELIEVABLY good! They obviously got caught in the wrong crowd or didn't have the grades to make it into college. Don't get me wrong, some of those players did play college ball but the majority of 'em didn't. They are streetballers that could've gotten a free education if they would've stuck with school and their talent of basketball!

At Gibson Co., the good athletes tend to get in trouble TOO MUCH! We had a player for the second half of this season who could've been one of the best athletes to come through Gibson Co. if he would've kept his grades up and out of trouble. Demarion Mayes was VERY GOOD and had the NBA range and could nail it. He had great handles with the ball as well! If he would've stayed out of trouble and kept his grades up, he'd easily be headed to play college ball somewhere! It's what I refer to as "talent gone to waste"! It stinks to see it happen.

That had to have been a tough matchup!!!! The only reason I can think of is if maybe the most talented players don't even play in highschool....Some kids in Jackson don't play in highschool but if you see them on the playground you think...WOW!!!!!! Lota kids around here like that.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Me being 1 of them!!! Kidding I'm not good ask anyone! Got a little 3 ball and can post up with most anyone better defense than offense..LOL

GC, the And 1 Mix Tape is awesome and I know of 1 person that is in the NBA now that was incredible back then do you know who I'm talking about?

Back to the subject... Who do you think will take over GC??

I hear that the Gibson County Pioneers Head Coach Steven Harshaw is leaving and if he leave the upcoming juniior guard Terrance Rodgers is leaving too I hear that he is going to be the best guard on the team with all love and respect the best player on the team as a junior from what i been seeing lately.

I've heard that two coaches in Jackson was asking about the job

GC..I heard about this boy during the middle school season..I'm sure he's a great player..I'd loved to have seen him play to get a gauge on him..You always hear about these boys getting 30 points a game but in middle school sometimes it's hard to know about a certain player unless he has played against biger schools..I take your word about him as I've read about a lot of your high school posts..But what I'm saying is Gibson Co plays teams like Medina..Springhill etc.I assume because I didn't see them in the conference with Lake Co.,Humboldt,Union City,Halls,

Northview,Three Oaks,Dyersburg..Northview had a loaded team this year but was beaten by Humboldt,Lake Co and Three Oaks..Lake Co blew Three Oaks out both times in the regular season and had a tie game and the ball with just over a minute left in the tournament..Lake threw the ball away..Three Oaks scored and went on to win by 4 points..Northview had blown Three Oaks out also but Northview suffered a blow when one of their best players,6'3"Fred Yarbro, suffered a season ending knee injury at the end of the regular season..Three Oaks beat them in the tournament and Three Oaks went on and won the Small school state sectionals...So,,what I'm trying to say is ..I'm sure he's a great player..but Northview has 3 or 4 players coming to Dyer Co from this years team..One of them is Fred Yarbro and the other is Cranston Fisk both about 6'3 and can run like deers and are capable or close to slamming the ball..Cranston is the cousin of former all star Brian Fisk and was held back a year ..So ,although he's going to be a freshman is a sophmore body wise but is eligible all 4 years..Two boys on the Dyersburg middle school ,the taller boys,I believe are the Jordan twins, are supposedely coming to Dyer Co ..,..Four players from Three Oaks are also said to be comming to Dyer Co,including the best ball handler in the area and maybe best player overall in Sadarius Taylor,a magician with the ball..Beleve me..he's ahead of C.J. at the same time with the ball..Two of the Northview players that were starters this year are still in middle school for 1 more year along with another kid that started a few games in 6'5 Tyler Williams..I heard the incoming freshmen,now playing together on an AAU team, scrimmaged a team from Missouri yesterday and won 100 something to 50 and that was without Fred ,still not back from his knee injury..And if the kid at Gibson Co does come and is as advertised..Dyer Co is already loaded..Believe me..Northview was loaded this year..a small version of the run and gun Dyer Co high school team...add Sedarius Taylor from Three Oaks and the two kids from Dyersburg.this bunch will be the most athletic team to come through Dyer Co!

GC..I heard about this boy during the middle school season..I'm sure he's a great player..I'd loved to have seen him play to get a gauge on him..You always hear about these boys getting 30 points a game but in middle school sometimes it's hard to know about a certain player unless he has played against biger schools..I take your word about him as I've read about a lot of your high school posts..But what I'm saying is Gibson Co plays teams like Medina..Springhill etc.I assume because I didn't see them in the conference with Lake Co.,Humboldt,Union City,Halls,

Northview,Three Oaks,Dyersburg..Northview had a loaded team this year but was beaten by Humboldt,Lake Co and Three Oaks..Lake Co blew Three Oaks out both times in the regular season and had a tie game and the ball with just over a minute left in the tournament..Lake threw the ball away..Three Oaks scored and went on to win by 4 points..Northview had blown Three Oaks out also but Northview suffered a blow when one of their best players,6'3"Fred Yarbro, suffered a season ending knee injury at the end of the regular season..Three Oaks beat them in the tournament and Three Oaks went on and won the Small school state sectionals...So,,what I'm trying to say is ..I'm sure he's a great player..but Northview has 3 or 4 players coming to Dyer Co from this years team..One of them is Fred Yarbro and the other is Cranston Fisk both about 6'3 and can run like deers and slam the ball..Cranston is the cousin of former all star Brian Fisk and was held back a year ..So ,although he's going to be a freshman is a sophmore body wise but is eligible all 4 years..Two boys on the Dyersburg middle school ,the taller boys ..I believe are twins,have enrolled at Dyer Co..Four players from Three Oaks have enrolled at Dyer Co,including the best ball handler in the area and maybe best player overall in Saderious Taylor,a magician with the ball..Beleve me..he's ahead of C.J. at the same time with the ball..Two of the Northview players that were starters this year are still in middle school for 1 more year along with another kid that started a few games in 6'5 Tyler Williams..I heard the freshman team scrimmaged a team from Missouri yesterday and won 100 something to 50 and that was without Fred ,still not back from his knee injury..And if the kid at Gibson Co does come and is as advertised..Dyer Co is already loaded..Believe me..Northview was loaded this year..a small version of the run and gun Dyer Co high school team...add Sedarius Taylor from Three Oaks and the two kids from Dyersburg.this bunch will be the most athletic team to come through Dyer Co!

Sounds like Dyer Co. is going to be good for a few years to come... Am I right in thinking that? Oh and by any chance do you know what Missouri team did they play?