D-II

tennisplaya

Wow what a smushing. But that was no surprise.

And whoever said the whole bit about Webb's Fourpeat is off their hinges. Because any way you put it McCallie is the favorite. No not the winner, but the favorite.

To countrypk:

Why wasn't Roger Briggs in that line-up? Is he still hurt?

And what is the situation with Disterdick? Is he a senior or junior?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a smushing. But that was no surprise.

And whoever said the whole bit about Webb's Fourpeat is off their hinges. Because any way you put it McCallie is the favorite. No not the winner, but the favorite.

To countrypk:

Why wasn't Roger Briggs in that line-up? Is he still hurt?

And what is the situation with Disterdick? Is he a senior or junior?

He was injured but is back at #6 and played #2 doubles at Carter. McCallie won all nine finals this weekend including 5 head to heads with MUS. Won 36 of 37 single sets in quarters, semis and finals. They might be competitive this year at the state championships if they can just get by Webb.

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_126706.asp

Webb beats Baylor 5-2

Brandon Fickey over Orlando big

Chris Haydek over Joe Yantis 1 and 1

MacGregor Wallis over George Butler 0 and 1

Harrison Smith over David Patil

Brian Carman over someone...

Doubles

Haydek/Fickey over Patil/Orlando 8-3

Yantis/Wallis over Carter Tisdale/Ryan Markman 8-6

Last year was the first year Webb beat Baylor, and I think the tides have turned in Webb's favor. Baylor didn't seem very talented or deep at all in their lineup.

Webb plays McCallie next week sometime. Should be close I would expect.

Webb beats Baylor 5-2

Brandon Fickey over Orlando big

Chris Haydek over Joe Yantis 1 and 1

MacGregor Wallis over George Butler 0 and 1

Harrison Smith over David Patil

Brian Carman over someone...

Doubles

Haydek/Fickey over Patil/Orlando 8-3

Yantis/Wallis over Carter Tisdale/Ryan Markman 8-6

Last year was the first year Webb beat Baylor, and I think the tides have turned in Webb's favor. Baylor didn't seem very talented or deep at all in their lineup.

Webb plays McCallie next week sometime. Should be close I would expect.

Yeah I agree McCallie vs. Webb should be close. In the Rotary, Webb's Fickey (#1) posted an impressive win over McCallie's David Henry (#1) (4 and 1) and Webb's Haydek lost a close one to McLemore (could have gone either way). Also, Webb's number 4 has got a shot at Schlabach or whoever they put there.

The problem is doubles...

Basically, McCallie owns doubles. Schlabach/Nelson seemed to be the more solid doubles team in Rotary than Henry/McLemore but both are impressive teams.

If McCallie comes out of singles against Webb with 3 wins, then I think they've got it in doubles, but Webb did come back against MBA (while missing #3) last week....

It's gonna get crazy.

Yeah I agree McCallie vs. Webb should be close. In the Rotary, Webb's Fickey (#1) posted an impressive win over McCallie's David Henry (#1) (4 and 1) and Webb's Haydek lost a close one to McLemore (could have gone either way). Also, Webb's number 4 has got a shot at Schlabach or whoever they put there.

The problem is doubles...

Basically, McCallie owns doubles. Schlabach/Nelson seemed to be the more solid doubles team in Rotary than Henry/McLemore but both are impressive teams.

If McCallie comes out of singles against Webb with 3 wins, then I think they've got it in doubles, but Webb did come back against MBA (while missing #3) last week....

It's gonna get crazy.

Eric would shoot me but McCallie by 8-1 and if Webb gets lucky 7-2. That assumes McC plays all three doubles. This is the most dominant DII team in recent memory. You might have to go back to Baylor's national powerhouse team of Tanner, Guerry, Gotfreid (3 future pro players) to find a more dominant team.

Eric would shoot me but McCallie by 8-1 and if Webb gets lucky 7-2. That assumes McC plays all three doubles. This is the most dominant DII team in recent memory. You might have to go back to Baylor's national powerhouse team of Tanner, Guerry, Gotfreid (3 future pro players) to find a more dominant team.

[/quote

If all goes in Webb's favor, numbers 1,2, and 4 will win in singles.. which would mean just one doubles victory Webb would need and I have to believe that after seeing Haydek/Fickey play Schlabach/Nelson at Rotary (although losing in a close tiebreak) that they could pull it out at home.

If anybody is going to knock off McCallie this year, it's Webb. The deck is still unfairly stacked against Webb, but the combination of a home crowd and less to lose, Webb has the talent to pull it out.

There is good news though for all those dynasty-haters...next year McCallie loses Henry, McLemore, and Nelson (top 3) while Webb loses no one in the top 6 and adds three potentially top 5 players in its lineup, bumping out of the top 6 two impressive and competitive tournament players.

I'm not calling anything yet, but I think next year's matchup between Webb and McCallie should be an even closer one...

I wouldn't say McCallie is as good as those 3, seeing as not one of McCallie's players will ever win an Australian Open let alone go pro, and then go to jail (Tanner for all those who dont know).

You're right, none are that good and in all likelihood none will go to jail for fraud or failure to pay child support. I specifically wrote "most dominant" as in I believe they are the most dominant team in a long time. Dominant is a relative term and a combination of an extremely good McCallie team and an off year at MBA, Baylor and MUS makes them " the most dominant DII team in recent memory". As far as next year is concerned, the remaining 3 or 4 starters are very good and a Charlie Ramsey, Tariq or two might be transferring in from somewhere in the US around the world. Who knows, Baylor might bring in the #1 South African or German or both.

Well yea thats the thing which I don't particularly like about McCallie is that they take kids from around the south and internatioanlly to make their teams better, while schools like Webb and MBA use the kids they've got locally and make the best of them. On McCallie, you have a kid from Alabama, a kid from Nashville, and a kid from NC and then Tariq from last year wherever he was from. And I'm not saying recruiting is involved because I have never talked to these kids so they might all came there voluntarily, but I am just skeptical of the situation.

Well I mean if you look at the people that go to those schools, tons of kids from all over go there for all sports and even academics. I mean if a kid has talent or just wants a good education it is logical for their parent to send them to a school as prestigious as Baylor or McCallie