D-II

tennisplaya

Well yea thats the thing which I don't particularly like about McCallie is that they take kids from around the south and internatioanlly to make their teams better, while schools like Webb and MBA use the kids they've got locally and make the best of them. On McCallie, you have a kid from Alabama, a kid from Nashville, and a kid from NC and then Tariq from last year wherever he was from. And I'm not saying recruiting is involved because I have never talked to these kids so they might all came there voluntarily, but I am just skeptical of the situation.

MUS draws from 1.3 million metropolitan population. MBA draws from 1.5 million. Webb draws from 700 thousand. Baylor, GPS and McCallie draw from 500 thousand. Baylor and McCallie draw from out of state but you have to pay $35,000 for that privilege. Obviously those aren't the only private schools in those cities but those are the ones that consistently produce competitive tennis teams. There's a whole section of this board for debating Public/Private issues and the arguments go around and around and around.....................................

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUS draws from 1.3 million metropolitan population. MBA draws from 1.5 million. Webb draws from 700 thousand. Baylor, GPS and McCallie draw from 500 thousand. Baylor and McCallie draw from out of state but you have to pay $35,000 for that privilege. Obviously those aren't the only private schools in those cities but those are the ones that consistently produce competitive tennis teams. There's a whole section of this board for debating Public/Private issues and the arguments go around and around and around.....................................

I have no doubt that McCallie recruits. JP McLemore (#2) is from Montgomery, AL where I used to live and there are some solid Alabama tennis teams that he could have played at.

Regardless of whether or not McCallie breaks TSSAA regulations to recruit, having dormitories allows them to obtain players from anywhere. Additionally, those metropolitan area statistics are almost completely irrelevant when half of McCallie's top six are from outside the Chatanooga area. The truth is, most schools do break TSSAA regulations, and I'll admit that I've even heard stories of Webb doing it. But never in tennis. Also, does McCallie offer any athletic or "diversity" scholarships? Webb offers only academic need-based scholarships, which makes it even more difficult to get players from outside Knoxville. Basically, you would have a hard time arguing that the playing field is level even if McCallie doesn't recruit, and in all likelihood they do. The numerous letters McCallie has sent to Brandon Fickey are a good indication of this. Finally, this is not a Public/Private debate, all the schools you mentioned are private. And I don't even want to hear the "non-boarding schools are semi-private" argument.

I have no doubt that McCallie recruits. JP McLemore (#2) is from Montgomery, AL where I used to live and there are some solid Alabama tennis teams that he could have played at.

I'm sure the fact that McCallie offers one of the finest academic programs in the Southeast if not the nation had nothing to do with the McLemore's decision of where to send their son. As I said before, at the Private/Public board you can debate this issue ad nauseum.

Oh by the way, do you know what the "n" stands for in Auburn?

Regardless of whether or not McCallie breaks TSSAA regulations to recruit, having dormitories allows them to obtain players from anywhere. Additionally, those metropolitan area statistics are almost completely irrelevant when half of McCallie's top six are from outside the Chatanooga area. The truth is, most schools do break TSSAA regulations, and I'll admit that I've even heard stories of Webb doing it. But never in tennis. Also, does McCallie offer any athletic or "diversity" scholarships? Webb offers only academic need-based scholarships, which makes it even more difficult to get players from outside Knoxville. Basically, you would have a hard time arguing that the playing field is level even if McCallie doesn't recruit, and in all likelihood they do. The numerous letters McCallie has sent to Brandon Fickey are a good indication of this. Finally, this is not a Public/Private debate, all the schools you mentioned are private. And I don't even want to hear the "non-boarding schools are semi-private" argument.

A school can't offer an athletic or diversity scholarship. Families seeking financial aid have to submit their financial information in Princeton, NJ to determine if they qualify. Academic scholarships are different. But if a student accepts an academic scholarship and his family doesn't meet the financial requirements (they make too much money) the student is prohibited from participating in TSSAA sanctioned sports. Over the years some very good athletes have accepted the McCallie Scholar awards and were unable to particiipate in TSSAA sporrts. He can play lacrosse, participate in crew or be on the swim team. This topic is discussed ad nauseum on the Public/Private board and if you want to hear the arguements over and over and over......, go there.

This is still not a Public/Private debate; like I said, the schools we are talking about are all private. And its ad nauseam, not ad nauseum. I know correcting you is a dick move, but when you repeat a phrase like that twice you are clearly trying to assume an air of superiority. What I am talking about is the relative equality for private schools in DII, especially when some of these schools recruit. But I appreciate the effort.

I'm sure the fact that McCallie offers one of the finest academic programs in the Southeast if not the nation had nothing to do with the McLemore's decision of where to send their son. As I said before, at the Private/Public board you can debate this issue ad nauseum.

Oh by the way, do you know what the "n" stands for in Auburn?

Ok, soccerpro1...

First of all, why are you so obsessed with the Private/Public board chat? Go visit that message board if you want to debate the advantages and disadvantages of public versus private...because I could care less. I bet you'd have a great time though. This is a D-II tennis board and we're talking about tennis players, not about some obscure, made-up population statistics of a school's region. (50.65% of statistics are made up anyway)

Second, SpartanTennis had it right when he said you were trying to impress somebody by using "ad nauseum". Kudos to you dude.. you used a big word. Want a cookie?

Third, I have never heard of the "n" actually standing for something in Auburn. I would guess that "n" is a letter that plays a part in forming the word...it's not like Auburn is an acronym.

I can't wait to see what big word you try to impress us with in your next post.

Ok, soccerpro1...

First of all, why are you so obsessed with the Private/Public board chat? Go visit that message board if you want to debate the advantages and disadvantages of public versus private...because I could care less. I bet you'd have a great time though. This is a D-II tennis board and we're talking about tennis players, not about some obscure, made-up population statistics of a school's region. (50.65% of statistics are made up anyway)

Second, SpartanTennis had it right when he said you were trying to impress somebody by using "ad nauseum". Kudos to you dude.. you used a big word. Want a cookie?

Third, I have never heard of the "n" actually standing for something in Auburn. I would guess that "n" is a letter that plays a part in forming the word...it's not like Auburn is an acronym.

I can't wait to see what big word you try to impress us with in your next post.

Hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist?