5-5a

cat2009

Guest workinprogress

Watching a practice is not knowing what a team or coach does in the off season. Practice does not show a team's work ethic or hard work. I know metro teams do not have the number of kids working in the weight room in the summer as county schools. Some coaches do not expect it or even care, plus the kids will not be there consistantly enough for it to matter. Lilal is correct about metro,very sad that the talent is never fully seen. As for Centennial, they are the worst 5A school in Williamson county and will never be above the other 5A schools. As for seeing the schools workouts, my company has workers in all schools in middle Tenn. and I have been in most and have seen the students in school and in the summers and have first hand knowlegde of what is going on. How many schools have you seen like this?

You say that watching a practice doesnt show work ethic. Kids typically play how they practice. Practice has everything to do with work ethic. If a kid doesnt try hard during practice and takes plays off then more than likely they will do the same in a game. Later you say that you have been in most schools and have seen the students in school. What does that have to do with work ethic on a field? Just because you are in a school building and you see a student doesnt mean you know how hard the student works. So are you in construction, food service, security, band equipment, athletic equipment, etc? Just because your in a lot of schools doesnt necessarily mean that you know anything at all about football or work ethic. Im not saying you dont Im just saying you might not. Lilal knows nothing about metro football. He is so concentrated on hating metro that he doesnt see all of the good going on in metro. Brunetti has done well with PC in 3A. Blade and Thompson have done well in 4A with Hillsboro and Maplewood. Thompson has turned Maplewood around and last year they had a great team and will probably contend again this year with Maryville. In 5A you have Richard Campbell at HL who always have a competitive team. Mike Woodward from Antioch has done well in his first couple of years taking the bears farther in the playoffs than they have ever gone. Anderson from Overton always is competitive with average talent. Talent wise the Sumner Co. teams probably have more than he does. Time will tell if Phillips can turn around Hillwood and if Abner can compete at Cane Ridge, and how well Murray will do at Glencliff. I have been in just as many schools as you have and I can honestly say that that doesnt mean anything. I will admit that I dont know how most of the schools have practice because I am too busy with my own.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on the La Vergne/Smyrna border. I have seen both of their practices. I know what Rector does at Ravenwood and I know what Centennial does. I have seen my fair share of football. Who have you seen in metro or anywhere else that works harder than Hillsboro, Antioch, Maplewood, etc?

Now, who is being an ignoramus, MAPLEWOOD, only an asinine asst. mid. sch. coach would include that team in the same sentance with WORK ETHIC. You have fallen off the porch...... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Guest workinprogress

Now, who is being an ignoramus, MAPLEWOOD, only an asinine asst. mid. sch. coach would include that team in the same sentance with WORK ETHIC. You have fallen off the porch...... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Again I am not an assistant so your information is wrong. So Maplewood didnt work hard to go to the state championship this past season. I guess they only went because they have so many athletes that anyone could come in there and do what they did. I guess their players just had to show up to beat Hillsboro, Henry Co., etc. And I guess by that standard maybe they should put Gallatin and Hendersonville on their schedule since you dont have nearly as many athletes and all they would have to do is show up in Sumner Co. and get a couple of wins. Heck maybe since all they have to do is show up they should have a double header.

Im not an assistant for one. Second, Im a middle school coach because I choose to be. I am sure that if I really wanted a high school coaching position I could find one that would take me. And as far as me having no conception of work ethic, I am sure that if you talked to anyone who actually does know me they would tell you my work ethic is definately better than most. It has to be and if you know me then you know why I say that. I am not knocking Hendersonville or Gallatin I am simply stating that metro programs work just as hard as your boys do.

You are right. Do not try to be a coach anywhere but metro, you will fit perfectly. Metro needs you.

Guest workinprogress

You are right. Do not try to be a coach anywhere but metro, you will fit perfectly. Metro needs you.

I dont know if I fit well or if metro needs me but if you are correct then I can live with that. There are a lot of good coaches in metro and not just in football. Metro has some really good coaches period. Look at McGill at Hillsboro, Morrison at Overton, Doris from MLK, Sorahbi at Overton, Reese at Cane Ridge, Rommie at Cane Ridge. I

Look, I'm as hard on Metro coaching as anyone for on-field decisions.....i.e. playcalling (please throw away the Wing-T, LOL)!

But I don't think any of you guys, outside of a few like WIP, RTB, WIP's dad, Moonwink, and a few others have any concept for the challenges that occur daily at any Metro schools. At some Metro schools, you're just happy to see a kid show up five straight days, due to a variety of issues. Some the student can control, some the student cannot.

Schools like H'Ville and Gallatin have some inate advantages over many Metro schools in support levels, income, and "buy in" from the athletes. Its hard to tell a 15 year old who is the "man" of a single parent household whose mom works two jobs what to do, they can drown you out sometimes.

Look, I'm as hard on Metro coaching as anyone for on-field decisions.....i.e. playcalling (please throw away the Wing-T, LOL)!

But I don't think any of you guys, outside of a few like WIP, RTB, WIP's dad, Moonwink, and a few others have any concept for the challenges that occur daily at any Metro schools. At some Metro schools, you're just happy to see a kid show up five straight days, due to a variety of issues. Some the student can control, some the student cannot.

Schools like H'Ville and Gallatin have some inate advantages over many Metro schools in support levels, income, and "buy in" from the athletes. Its hard to tell a 15 year old who is the "man" of a single parent household whose mom works two jobs what to do, they can drown you out sometimes.

Why does every discussion about Metro football have to end up here, listen believe it or not, kids at Hendersonville and kids at Gallatin and schools like these have problems too. Guess what man, I was in a single parent household throughout my entire childhood, my mom worked multiple jobs and we still had to use food stamps. Don't give me this crap about how Metro students have this hard, doomed life. Just because you have some preconceived notion about kids form Hendersonville having nice easy lives doesn't make it true. Even if they do have hard lives, how does that prevent them from working hard at football?

You don't want Metro teams to work hard bro.....If they work harder and smarter your teams don't win. I'd keep that little secret to myself if I were you. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No problems, no matter how much I say it, it isn't going to make them work any harder. It has to come from within them and I certainly don't think that will be a problem.

I think your totally wrong in saying that hardly anyone knows the challenges facing metro schools. I think everyone on this thread knows the challenges facing metro schools. This is the reason they say things like Sumner County schools work harder than Metro schools in sports. You just said that its hard to get a kid to show up 5 days in a row. You miss a day at the school bigried came from or I came from and you'd be riding the old pine more than likely. Hendersonville man is just trying to make the point that if Metro schools,like the Maplewoods and Hillsboros did not have athletically gifted kids at almost every position then they would really struggle against teams that do come to practice 5 days a week for 52 weeks out of a year. I dont think anyone is really putting down the kids or the coaches of Metro schools. I think its quite the opposite. Everyone strongly believes that with the proper work ethic and mind set many metro schools would be just short of unbeatable by most county shool districts. I also think that it would take a very different type of coach to win at a Metro school than what it would take to win at a county school.