Steel cleats

Lefty's Dad

That simply isn't true. NFHS did approve metal cleats, but TSSAA isn't bound by that rule and can make an exception. Several states did exactly that. TSSAA can adopt or reject the NFHS rule book, and if they adopt it, they can make their own exceptions as they elect to do so. NFHS isn't the NCAA nor have any type of NCAA-type control over member schools in situations like this.

Tell 'em Pop!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal Cleats are not the problem. Baseball players have been wearing them for years and it has never been a problem. You ever heard it the Indian not the arrow. Well this applies here. The girls made a choice to wear metal cleats, don't blame the TSSAA. That is like saying a player slides into second breaks his ankle and it is the TSSAA's fault for making him slide. He made the choice to slide. Softball coaches and parents are making something out of nothing. I guess it is good to get a little pub every now and then.

Metal Cleats are not the problem. Baseball players have been wearing them for years and it has never been a problem. You ever heard it the Indian not the arrow. Well this applies here. The girls made a choice to wear metal cleats, don't blame the TSSAA. That is like saying a player slides into second breaks his ankle and it is the TSSAA's fault for making him slide. He made the choice to slide. Softball coaches and parents are making something out of nothing. I guess it is good to get a little pub every now and then.

Sorry to disagree.

Baseball has a thread, we really don't care about it over here. If they are not a problem why are there so many more serious injuries since they were allowed. And about TSSAA they made the decision to allow them and most teams require athletes to wear the same foot apparel, so the athlete really does not have a choice. Read the other thread about the injuries to athletes this year (and what some of the coaches think now after season ending injuries to their players) due to metal cleats when not sliding. This includes the UT signee from Riverdale who broke her ankle in two places. I don't care if they wear metal cleats on their heads in baseball, females are different built ahtletes. Their joints and tendons do not have the same strength, exspecially at younger ages.

I contend that bad technique or the physical differences between boys and girls lead to more injuries in softball. I guarantee that if you don't put your leg on the ground in front of the bag, your risk of being cleated is greatly reduced. If you'll learn how to slide properly, there will be less of a chance of injury. The real thing that I hang my hat on is that of the thousands of boys that wear metal cleats every year, from a percentage standpoint there are a lot fewer injuries to boys than girls. If it's a physiological issue, then let's just say that. If it's a matter of coordination and natural athletic ability, then just say that. What other differences are there between the boys game and the girls game?

My opinion is that girls are more susceptible to ACL injuries period, regardless of the foot gear. If metal cleats increase that chance, then don't wear them, but that has nothing to do with getting spiked. That's just poor technique or poor coaching. Take your pick.

I asked a trainer today what their opinion of metal cleats in the girls game was. They indicated that they didn't think it was proper for girls or boys if they didn't have the agility and athletic ability to wear them. Their contention was that poor technique led to most injuries caused by metal cleats in both sports and that it just wasn't worth the risk. That's sad.

Metal cleats should be outlawed in all associations. Gibbs lost their second baseman last night because she was cleated by a girl from Baylor. The laceration was so deep they had had to take her to the hospital for stitches.

What purpose do metal cleats have? I play travel mens ball and we have all gone to turf shoes because they do less damage to your feet and you get a great grip. The only drawnback is playing in the wet.

Baseball has a thread, we really don't care about it over here. If they are not a problem why are there so many more serious injuries since they were allowed. And about TSSAA they made the decision to allow them and most teams require athletes to wear the same foot apparel, so the athlete really does not have a choice. Read the other thread about the injuries to athletes this year (and what some of the coaches think now after season ending injuries to their players) due to metal cleats when not sliding. This includes the UT signee from Riverdale who broke her ankle in two places. I don't care if they wear metal cleats on their heads in baseball, females are different built ahtletes. Their joints and tendons do not have the same strength, exspecially at younger ages.

From you post, I would be having a serious talk with my coaches then. It sounds like it is the coaches fault, forcing them to wear the same shoes and not allowing the girls to opt for the same shoes with different cleats. Get on your coaches.

From you post, I would be having a serious talk with my coaches then. It sounds like it is the coaches fault, forcing them to wear the same shoes and not allowing the girls to opt for the same shoes with different cleats. Get on your coaches.

A guy gets on here and tells us a kid on his daughters team just got her leg sliced up and all you have to say is this?!?!?!

To the Gibbs parent , I hope everything is OK with this young lady. My heart goes out to her. I am with you. Metal cleats have no place in middle school and high school softball.

A guy gets on here and tells us a kid on his daughters team just got her leg sliced up and all you have to say is this?!?!?!

To the Gibbs parent , I hope everything is OK with this young lady. My heart goes out to her. I am with you. Metal cleats have no place in middle school and high school softball.

Maybe we should use a plastic softball verses a hard ball as well,,,,,,,how many players or pitchers get hurt from taking a lick from the ball,,,, tough sport out there but many players prefer metal cleats...

Check this picture out:

If this was your daughter would you feel the same.