UMPIRE FEEDBACK NEEDED

FridayMainEvent

I agree with everything you guys say but the problem will never be fixed until these guys get called for what they do illegal, I hate that the umpires pick and choose who they call illegal, and when they call illegal pitches even at the top levels.

Mowatt - Championship College pitcher- Arizona - taken this year- crowhop -she is literally pitching from 3 ' in front of the rubber.

You can see her drag line. That looks legal to me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaping is not illegal. Flying is illegal...as is crow hopping. Leaping & dragging is a style of pitching where you leap from the rubber and drag your toe. The trailing toe does not leave contact with the ground. Flying is when a pitcher's trailing toe leaves contact with the ground....hence the two examples shown. Flying is a violation of the so-called leaping rule. The contrasting style to leaping pitcher is a step style pitcher. A step pitcher does not leap from the rubber. They step and release. It is an old style. Sling-shot pitchers step. There are not too many of them left around. It is a style used by most young pitchers before they learn to leap. Also the larger the pitcher...the more likely they are to step.

Here is a good article to explain the terminology.

http://www.pitchsoftball.com/Page5.html

Ok , well these two " leap and drap " pitchers forgot the "drag" part and one forgot you cant take a second push off call a "crow hop " part. Call it what you wish the NCAA calls it "leaping"

here is a link: www.spysoftball.com/april_1_2008_update ... age006.jpg

exact quote taken from the NCAA page: "No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitchers plate. The pivot foot must always slide or drag from the ground. If both feet are off the ground at the same time it is called a leap and it is illegal."

Ok , well these two " leap and drap " pitchers forgot the "drag" part and one forgot you cant take a second push off call a "crow hop " part. Call it what you wish the NCAA calls it "leaping"

here is a link: www.spysoftball.com/april_1_2008_update ... age006.jpg

exact quote taken from the NCAA page: "No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitchers plate. The pivot foot must always slide or drag from the ground. If both feet are off the ground at the same time it is called a leap and it is illegal."

If you replant or fly you are illegal. Most all that replant do so very close to the rubber. The picture of Mowatt looks legal. Also the video of her looks legal. You have to have your whole foot outside the rubber to be illegal. It's hard to tell by the camera angle...but she appears to be on the line with her change and screwball.

not illegal unless it is called /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> about the same sense as 'your not breaking the law unless your caught'' My daughter was always taught the correct way growing up. I does discourage her when she watches opposing pitchers pitch illegal, crow hopping mainly, and not being called. The only time she has to adjust is when she goes back to summerball, after taking advantage of being able to step back during highschool. ASA exposure tournaments are usually well officiated and they do call illegal pitches in most instances.

She can drag away but what she cannot do is take a second push from where she stops dragging which is what she does when she throws her rise.

No way. You don't push with your back foot on a rise anyway. You block against your front leg and throw uphill. She isn't illegal on that.

She can drag away but what she cannot do is take a second push from where she stops dragging which

is what she does when she throws her rise.

I posted a topic on this very issue a few weeks ago.

I agree with swingaway. The pitcher may drag, but if a re-plant occurs, (which many do),

an illegal pitch SHOULD be called.... regardless of WHAT pitch is thrown, or what inning.

I posted a topic on this very issue a few weeks ago.

I agree with swingaway. The pitcher may drag, but if a re-plant occurs, (which many do),

an illegal pitch SHOULD be called.... regardless of WHAT pitch is thrown, or what inning.

I totally agree. Re-planting should be called because you do gain an advantage. What swingaway is calling a re-plant is not a re-plant. You can't replant 3 feet from the rubber.

I totally agree. Re-planting should be called because you do gain an advantage. What swingaway is calling a re-plant is not a re-plant. You can't replant 3 feet from the rubber.

It appears the guy on the crowhop tab on the NFHS video on mytwocents post on page 3,

is actually dragging and replanting 2-3 feet in front of the rubber.

Take a look and let me know what you think. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It appears the guy on the crowhop tab on the NFHS video on mytwocents post on page 3,

Take a look and let me know what you think. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thank you hits123, finaly some intelligence on this topic. All I know about the rise is the way my daughter throws it and I think she has an excellent one.

Mowatt is known for 1) stepping outside the 24" rubber illegally and 2) leaping and 3) crowhopping when she throws her rise. I was just showing examples of what all the all the college coaches and pitching gurus were all complaining about concerning illegal pitching in college ball. These pictures were taken off a college softball forum as examples of illegal pitching. The video was too.

I've never seen a girl strong enough to do that. Also...he is taking a step back that increases his momentum.

Also...when did the rule change so high school pitchers could take a step back? I thought the rule was changed several years ago so you could not take a step back. Was it changed back?