2008 McMinn Central Chargers

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I missed the Alcoa scrimmage, can anyone update me on the progress of the Big Blue? Remeber folks, the kids might be reading so lets keep it positive!

The Chargers looked ok against Alcoa. They are definately bigger and faster than last year. From what I could tell Central's starters scored twice to Alcoa's one. As the scrimmage went on Central looked to get stronger and stronger, the young QB settled down and began to run the offense fairly well. Both teams fumbled twice and both were lost. Alcoa is definately going to be a power to reckon with in AA. Central still has some depth concerns from their younger players, but if they keep progressing, it could be a good year in Charger Country. Hope everyone stays healthly, and Good Luck to a first-class program like Alcoa.

i wasn't at alcoa game this year but i went last year and from what i hear central played them alot better this year...does it matter if you win or lose a scrimmage...i thought it was about making improvement...sounds like central has improved from this time last year..

i wasn't at alcoa game this year but i went last year and from what i hear central played them alot better this year...does it matter if you win or lose a scrimmage...i thought it was about making improvement...sounds like central has improved from this time last year..

The final score in the scrimmage was alcoa 22-14. Alcoa played that scrimmage without wr-sam thompson,TE-DE tyler robinson, who were both all state and leading rusher jaron toney. Also missing were starters lb-jalik toney, te-de-adrian womac, wr-brother walker and a few others but that doesnt diminish what mcminn accomplished. Looks like they have a solid foundation and if they keep up the hard work could have a pretty good year. The only glaring weakness I could see was the secondary where guys who are pretty much Alcoas backup wrs consistantly got behind the 3rd level and had one long td and another one dropped. Still could be a really great year for mcminn.

The final score in the scrimmage was alcoa 22-14. Alcoa played that scrimmage without wr-sam thompson,TE-DE tyler robinson, who were both all state and leading rusher jaron toney. Also missing were starters lb-jalik toney, te-de-adrian womac, wr-brother walker and a few others but that doesnt diminish what mcminn accomplished. Looks like they have a solid foundation and if they keep up the hard work could have a pretty good year. The only glaring weakness I could see was the secondary where guys who are pretty much Alcoas backup wrs consistantly got behind the 3rd level and had one long td and another one dropped. Still could be a really great year for mcminn.

Pretty good observation but Central also was without 2 starting DBs and the passes completed were all against the 2nd teamers. 2's against 2's was 14-0 Alcoa, Central is looking for depth and rotated out a bunch of people when the 2's were on the field. 1's vs 1's, Central took the fight to Alcoa pretty good. Alcoa couldn't block Central's two DE's without holding, pretty obvious holds. All in All, a good test for both teams, very even.

Spring practice ends Tuesday with the "Black and Blue Game" against cross-county rival McMinn. Any thoughts on how this "scrimmage" plays out.

If Central can get the ground game cranked up and HOLD ONTO THE BALL (Rember Last Year?) I like their chances. But the real test will be for the Central defense to avoid the "big play". It seems every time McMinn will break a long play for a touchdown on their first possesion and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Spring practice ends in a great way. A big "goose-egg" laid on the Cherokees. Ables was doing the "Cherokee Shuffle" all night trying to avoid the pass rush. The D-Line played great. The two new LB on defense did outstanding. Ragland and Watson are beasts. Good effort by DB in covering the deep ball and on run support . Brady Guy is a player. Defense-Would grade a B-plus.

Offense ( freshman QB) was good enough. Thought the young QB held his own, made some good reads and just missed on some throws. When 3 goes in the game-How big is that Train with Ragland and Watson? Showed all the opponents in the stands the speed and power. Jarrel, Bandon, Moss and Moses -Defend them all--I Dare You!

Offensive Line- Tested some new guys who get better everyday. Long and Cass are getting it done. Matt Green got some good snaps at guard. Offense-B-......As vanilla as you will ever see from Coach Derrick.

About 2000 people attended the spring game. Great community support. Eight Weeks--Season will be exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

Should finish, maybe 4 or 5 in the region!! Lineman questions. Good Luck

Jimmy you are right. There are some lineman questions. Which 5 of 9 are going to start? How many pancake blocks does Kyle Long get this year? Are there any offensive tackles that will be able to block Ben Stiles and DJ King? How often are most teams going to have to max protect in order to throw the football? These are just a few of the questions that are being pondered.

Jimmy you are right. There are some lineman questions. Which 5 of 9 are going to start? How many pancake blocks does Kyle Long get this year? Are there any offensive tackles that will be able to block Ben Stiles and DJ King? How often are most teams going to have to max protect in order to throw the football? These are just a few of the questions that are being pondered.

I agree...From what I have already seen and heard I can't believe that Central is going to be having any kind of line trouble...Maybe secondary (could get corrected when practice starts), but not line trouble.../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I agree...From what I have already seen and heard I can't believe that Central is going to be having any kind of line trouble...Maybe secondary (could get corrected when practice starts), but not line trouble.../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Secondary??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />