West @ Farragut Region Semis

knoxvegas19

K.W.-

I think it is extremely disrespectful to call out the Maryville coaches and the Maryville keeper. I also think that it was poorly timed and immature for you to approach the coaches minutes after the game's conclusion and demand an answer for their tactical decisions. The fact of the matter is...it was the coach's decision, and the PLAYERS actually expressed the fact that they were more comfortable with the flat back as well. We had hardly NO transition offense against Farragut in the second half and OT, and we were hoping that by switching back to the flat back that we could stay a little more organized in transition offense and build better from the back. We were also hoping that this would help us use the width of O.R.'s field and get the ball to the flanks more.

It never fails...when the team loses, it is always the coach's fault. Keep in mind that this Maryville team had a pretty good season. In order to make it farther than any Maryville team, the coaches and the keeper must have done a pretty good job at times.

In my opinion, it is poor choice to publicly denounce your coaches and brothers, especially since they have been so supportive of you over the summer.

However, thanks for your support this season, even if you are unhappy with the final game. Good luck at A.U.

Well said, Ned. If you had won using the flat back four, they would have called it a brilliant coaching decision (or maybe not; in coaching you find quite often that no matter what decisions you make, someone is going to be upset).

Until you have to step into the coaching role, it is quite easy to do so from the bleachers. Maryville has nothing to be ashamed about. They knocked of an incredible Bearden team (when I would believe no one thought they would) and played a great season.

Ned, I appreciate the classiness of your post. It would have been very easy (and understandable) for you to go off on the young person who said those things. You handled it with the utmost style (as always).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both farragut and west played a great game last night and it is disappointing to see one of these two teams lose and be eliminated. that was the best finish to a game in a long time. it would have to be up there with joey saving those pks against cak last year. congratulations and good luck to west

I want to second the notion that Diego played a great game. Besides the two goals, he was seemingly everywhere. Coach Sheppard was quoted as saying, in effect, that he's very crafty. I would agree with that. He's always doing little things to help his team.

An unsung hero for Oak Ridge, in my opinion, is Jordan (I hope I have the first name right) Howell. This is Trenna Howell's brother, I think. He really stepped up in the back and played a strong game all night. He was particularly effective in the air.

Aside from these two, the whole O.R. squad played with passion and intelligence.

Maryville has a very, very nice team. A pleasure to watch. They actually controlled action for long stretches, but their attacks were often foiled by very tenacious O.R. defense. I believe O.R. had Mr. Ridge (#7) marked out. Speaking of #7, he's quite an athlete. I suspect Coach Quarles would be very happy to have him on the football team as a defensive back or a running back. I believe #10 who's obviously a key player, was slightly hurt in the second half, which didn't help Maryville's cause.

I don't know the distribution of classes on the Maryville's squad, but if they don't lose many seniors they will certainly be a force next year as well.

Trevor is his first name and Trenna is his sister and he really is a GREAT player. What people are forgetting about Trevor is that he is very dangerous in the air when it comes to free kicks. So with this factor he is a very strong defender in my opinion one of the best with his height and ability to jump as high as he does. He has really came through for his team as the sweeper. It seems to me that Oak Ridge has really started playing alot better with him back in the D. I have high hopes for trevor and hope that him and his team can pull out a cindarella story and win state.

Trevor is his first name and Trenna is his sister and he really is a GREAT player. What people are forgetting about Trevor is that he is very dangerous in the air when it comes to free kicks. So with this factor he is a very strong defender in my opinion one of the best with his height and ability to jump as high as he does. He has really came through for his team as the sweeper. It seems to me that Oak Ridge has really started playing alot better with him back in the D. I have high hopes for trevor and hope that him and his team can pull out a cindarella story and win state.

ok..first off. oak ridge all the way! even they are not that good...but trenna is an academic all american division 4 soccer player...but really smart in the books so it doesnt matter where or how she plays....go get em' eagle!

ok i can only speak for what i saw witch was the last 20 min of regulation and the overtimes, witch was the most important part of the game, but who ever said that the west farragut game was a good game needs to quiet posting or learn more about soccer. sorry but both teams HAD to be tierd when i got there because it was the sloppest game i have seen in years..... i haven't seen so many bad first touches since i was in high school and watched lower developed high school teams play. besides the goals and a couple (very few) of deffensive stands this game was aweful. This was the prime example of a kickball game with both teams sitting back.... and if these teams were that tierd with 20 left to go in regulation then it's going to catch up with them later down the road.....

ok i can only speak for what i saw witch was the last 20 min of regulation and the overtimes, witch was the most important part of the game, but who ever said that the west farragut game was a good game needs to quiet posting or learn more about soccer. sorry but both teams HAD to be tierd when i got there because it was the sloppest game i have seen in years..... i haven't seen so many bad first touches since i was in high school and watched lower developed high school teams play. besides the goals and a couple (very few) of deffensive stands this game was aweful. This was the prime example of a kickball game with both teams sitting back.... and if these teams were that tierd with 20 left to go in regulation then it's going to catch up with them later down the road.....

I agree. The goals were nice, but they were not reflective of the game as a whole. West packs the box, and is boring when they attack; Farragut is sloppy. Nice midfield play for the Admirals, but the offensive 3rd is a disaster. West has 3-4 players on the field who stand out, but very little fluidity to their play. Farragut is forgettable, posing no attack except for set plays. #8 and #22 are Farragut's best, and only real threat. Unfortunately, the better team did not win Tuesday night, and West benefitted from an inexperienced goalie. 2/3 should not have scored. Looked pretty, but saveable.

I agree. The goals were nice, but they were not reflective of the game as a whole. West packs the box, and is boring when they attack; Farragut is sloppy. Nice midfield play for the Admirals, but the offensive 3rd is a disaster. West has 3-4 players on the field who stand out, but very little fluidity to their play. Farragut is forgettable, posing no attack except for set plays. #8 and #22 are Farragut's best, and only real threat. Unfortunately, the better team did not win Tuesday night, and West benefitted from an inexperienced goalie. 2/3 should not have scored. Looked pretty, but saveable.

I'll have to agree with ucsoccer and smokymtnfutbol. However I did think it was exciting - never knew what was gong to happen when ball got close to the 18. Poor one touches, resorting to kick ball style (though there were attempts to control the ball), ball in air way too much (kept heading five, six times in a row several times throughout the game), touch passes that were uncontrollable (adrenaline must have been up).

Now time for the second guessing; was the Muth red card foul worth it in the Maryville game? Would he have made the difference? People can debate this for a while. I did, however, think #20 filled in pretty good, but when score #2 happened, d?©j? -vu flashback of the Muth take down gasped through the stands, though not as blatant - #20 did grab at West player to try and slow him down (unsuccessfully), foul was called, but score went in so waived off.

No one mentioned the home field advantage West had ??“ field conditions were horrible, very West like. FHS Football coach had grass mowed to dirt level and then killed off remaining grass just days before (unsure why). FHS soccer contingent were definitely not happy with field conditions (BUT not blaming this on loss ??“ champions must win under any circumstances).

U.S. , i dont know if your a coach or a player or what, but i dont believe you should be bashing on these two teams, where is your team? It is very likely that they have been knocked out by now. And if these teams played bad, im sure your team would have played 5x worse. .

FHS keeper unexperienced? To my knowledge he has atleast one state championship under his belt and has played many years for his club team(select). I have heard before that if a player were to score on a keepers front post than its the keepers fault, but if a player were to score on a keepers backpost, it were a nice play by the shooter. #11 is an experienced player that has scored on even the best keepers. Dont blame goals number two and three on FHS keeper.

FHS keeper unexperienced? To my knowledge he has atleast one state championship under his belt and has played many years for his club team(select). I have heard before that if a player were to score on a keepers front post than its the keepers fault, but if a player were to score on a keepers backpost, it were a nice play by the shooter. #11 is an experienced player that has scored on even the best keepers. Dont blame goals number two and three on FHS keeper.

Yes state championship under belt, yes with Select, yes a pretty good player, BUT still young for the high school game. Club soccer vs high school soccer; tough transition and playing against older and more mature players (both in physical attributes and mental toughness). Heck, Select was not even challenged in the D1 states, cruising to pretty easy victories (if memory serves). FHS keepers (both of them) benefitted from an awesome back line, as evidenced with the VERY few goals allowed, BUT when challenged, those goals did happen - mistakes, own goals, playing with ball during pass backs, quick kicks...nerves? No bashing intended, just a growth stage all players must go through. Heck I've been there and it can be intimidating (no matter what sport) - only the best of the best are able to overcome and move on to the next level. Next year will be a real test with more seniors graduating than what is expected to fill in (but then again, the same was said about last years class). Keep the cup east, good luck West/OR.

Yes state championship under belt, yes with Select, yes a pretty good player, BUT still young for the high school game. Club soccer vs high school soccer; tough transition and playing against older and more mature players (both in physical attributes and mental toughness). Heck, Select was not even challenged in the D1 states, cruising to pretty easy victories (if memory serves). FHS keepers (both of them) benefitted from an awesome back line, as evidenced with the VERY few goals allowed, BUT when challenged, those goals did happen - mistakes, own goals, playing with ball during pass backs, quick kicks...nerves? No bashing intended, just a growth stage all players must go through. Heck I've been there and it can be intimidating (no matter what sport) - only the best of the best are able to overcome and move on to the next level. Next year will be a real test with more seniors graduating than what is expected to fill in (but then again, the same was said about last years class). Keep the cup east, good luck West/OR.

I understand, good input. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Moneyshot.... who i play for does not matter on a high school board because i no longer play high school, i am futhering my career and playing college soccer now. all you need to know is that my opionon no longer matters to anyone but me. I just usually read the boards to keep up because i am away at school (not now because of summer break!!!!!). I admit that i found some flaws both teams had and if you think that is bashing then so be it. Trust me everything i said was true. I was a little disappointed that these two teams that i had heard so much about their attacking abilities decided to sit back. the first touch was really bad (i wasn't the only to state that). but if you read in other threads i have complemented and given some creadit where it is due.