Whitwell Basketball

Talkitup

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heath Thacker is the new coach at Whitwell High School. Heath played basketball at Marion County and has been coaching softball and basketball for years. He is someone that is you know him has alot of energy and drive and will do great things for Whitwell. He has a great personality that will fit in great at Whitwell. Is there soemthing that you don't like about him alumni4? He seems like a great guy to me and PurpleGrad seems to think so to.

Heath Thacker is the new coach at Whitwell High School. Heath played basketball at Marion County and has been coaching softball and basketball for years. He is someone that is you know him has alot of energy and drive and will do great things for Whitwell. He has a great personality that will fit in great at Whitwell. Is there soemthing that you don't like about him alumni4? He seems like a great guy to me and PurpleGrad seems to think so to.

Let's not get carried away..... I said he was a "good" guy.... not "great".... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I know of Mr Thacker a little. How much High School coaching has he done. I don't know all the players that have played at jasper, but I can't remember him playing. Someone told me he played for Coach Roberts when he was coaching Basketball. What position did he play? What years? What kind of team leader was he? I also heard he will be an assistant football coach. Did he play football at Jasper? Maybe someone from Jasper can answer my questions. I hope he does well, but being a Tiger fan I am concerned. How come we never post these openings and put together a group for filling these head coaching positions? It seems when South Pittsburg or Jasper is hunting for head coaches, they always do interviewing. I am tired of .500 and below records. We are competitive in girls sports and we should compete in boys. Go Tigers!

thacker ran around wit my older brother in high school and right after they got out. he is about 21 or 22. i asked my brother about him and he said they aint talked in a while. the only coaching we no about is little league basketball and girls summer softball has he been an assistant any where?

I know of Mr Thacker a little. How much High School coaching has he done. I don't know all the players that have played at jasper, but I can't remember him playing. Someone told me he played for Coach Roberts when he was coaching Basketball. What position did he play? What years? What kind of team leader was he? I also heard he will be an assistant football coach. Did he play football at Jasper? Maybe someone from Jasper can answer my questions. I hope he does well, but being a Tiger fan I am concerned. How come we never post these openings and put together a group for filling these head coaching positions? It seems when South Pittsburg or Jasper is hunting for head coaches, they always do interviewing. I am tired of .500 and below records. We are competitive in girls sports and we should compete in boys. Go Tigers!

He started playing for Coach Phillips and finished playing under Coach Roberts. He didn't play very much at all. He rode the bench and got some mop up minutes his senior year. If I remember right he didn't even get to play on senior night. It might be hard to be a team leader whne you sit the bench. He never played football and he played baseball through his Jr year. He didn't play baseball his senior year because he was mad at Coach Roberts about the basketball season. I didn't know he had a teaching degree so he must have just got it. The only coaching experience that he has is Jr. Pro basketball and one year of Little League baseball when he coached his little brother's team. Someone said he coached a girl's softball team this Spring I don't know. Makes you wonder why Whitwell didn't go after someone with more experience. There are plenty of more qualified people in the county. Many of who have actual coaching or assistant coaching experience. Looks to me like there is huge difference between Jr. Pro and Head Coach at the high school level. I guess Mrs. Ware and Mr. Holtcamp know more about it than I do. Good luck Whitwell. You'll need it.

He started playing for Coach Phillips and finished playing under Coach Roberts. He didn't play very much at all. He rode the bench and got some mop up minutes his senior year. If I remember right he didn't even get to play on senior night. It might be hard to be a team leader whne you sit the bench. He never played football and he played baseball through his Jr year. He didn't play baseball his senior year because he was mad at Coach Roberts about the basketball season. I didn't know he had a teaching degree so he must have just got it. The only coaching experience that he has is Jr. Pro basketball and one year of Little League baseball when he coached his little brother's team. Someone said he coached a girl's softball team this Spring I don't know. Makes you wonder why Whitwell didn't go after someone with more experience. There are plenty of more qualified people in the county. Many of who have actual coaching or assistant coaching experience. Looks to me like there is huge difference between Jr. Pro and Head Coach at the high school level. I guess Mrs. Ware and Mr. Holtcamp know more about it than I do. Good luck Whitwell. You'll need it.

Lets not run him off before he gets a chance to prove himself, everyone deserves that. Best of Luck to the new coaching staff. ButI does make you wonder if there were any other applicants for the position since there seems to be a lack of experiance. Does this mean that all three area teams are being coached by former MC alumni? Is Jasper's coach from Jasper or Chattanooga area??

Makes you wonder why Whitwell didn't go after someone with more experience. There are plenty of more qualified people in the county. Many of who have actual coaching or assistant coaching experience. Looks to me like there is huge difference between Jr. Pro and Head Coach at the high school level. I guess Mrs. Ware and Mr. Holtcamp know more about it than I do. Good luck Whitwell. You'll need it.

Scaramouche, You make some valid points. Heath is a nice young man, but why would they pass up on Grant Webb if they wanted someone local? I know he was interested in the job. He has 8 to 10 year of middle school coaching experience. Oh well, hopefully they will give Heath time to learn. If they are expecting results the first couple of years, this may be a rough relationship for both. Best of luck Heath. I hope everything works out for you.

Scaramouche, You make some valid points. Heath is a nice young man, but why would they pass up on Grant Webb if they wanted someone local? I know he was interested in the job. He has 8 to 10 year of middle school coaching experience. Oh well, hopefully they will give Heath time to learn. If they are expecting results the first couple of years, this may be a rough relationship for both. Best of luck Heath. I hope everything works out for you.

Heath has been placed in a tough spot. He was hired just three weeks before school started so he hasn't had any time with the boys this summer. He is following a coach who was very popular among the students, faculty and community. He is coming in on the heels of an unfortunate event that has shaken the school and community. All of this with little or no experience coaching at this level of organized ball. That is a very tall order for a young man to fill. The only way that he will be able to survive is for the community to rally behind him and give him and the team their full support. They have to give him a chance to prove himself. Again, I wish him the best of luck.

Now, as to the deal about Webb. I absolutely do not understand why Webb wasn't given the opportunity to take this job. He wanted it. He has proven to be successful at the middle school level. I believe that he could also be successful at the high school level. This would have been a good place and time for him to step up to the high school ranks. I thought that they probably didn't give it to him because he was a "Jasper" boy but then they hire someone from MC. To not offer Webb the job is one thing.... to not call him in for an interview is another.

Our middle school has beat this Webb guy the last two years and we were not very good. I think we have the right guy. We need someone who will come in here and want to stay. If Webb got the job he would run to Jasper the first chance he gets. Good luck Coach Thacker, the Tiger family is behind you.

Our middle school has beat this Webb guy the last two years and we were not very good. I think we have the right guy. We need someone who will come in here and want to stay. If Webb got the job he would run to Jasper the first chance he gets. Good luck Coach Thacker, the Tiger family is behind you.

Grant was interested in the job at Whitwell. He did apply the first time it was posted when they hired Coach Pickett. They was of threw all those away when they hired him. As far as you beating Grant and the middle school, last year was the first time that G has lost to Whitwell in his career. Grant would of been the perfect fit for Whitwell. But I personally am a little selfish and for one is glad that Grant is still at Jasper Middle. He is great with the kids, he loves to coach and can coach the game, and he is also the football coach. I am glad he is still a Warrior.

Now Heath is not a bad choice. He played for David and Steven. They both are good basketball coaches. David runs a little bit of everything( zone, man, press) and Roberts was slow it down patient offensivly and man on man on defense. IF Heath learned from that and takes what both coaches brought to the table, He will be just fine. Remember you dont have to be a good player to be a good coach. This guy up at Purdue a couple of years ago named Gene Keaty never played organized sports. And also there is this guy up in Knoxville named Pearl, who never even played basketball. He was a football guy. Give the kid a chance.