Maher at Brentwood

softballjunk

I have seen the Maher upperclassman (senior I think) pitch several times over this season. Early in the year I thought very little of her from the mound, don't get me wrong she was ok and seemed to get the job done for the most part. However, over the last month or so I have gotten to see her several times and she has stepped her game up to a new level. She has managed to keep some known "big hitters" to fizzle out to the infield or pop out. She is not humming the ball by any means, I have not gunned her but would imagine she is in low to mid 50's. She just seems to have alot of junk that keeps teams off balance no matter how many times they face her. So I was curious to know if she was going to continue her career in college. I beleive she has something to offer.

I have seen the Maher upperclassman (senior I think) pitch several times over this season. Early in the year I thought very little of her from the mound, don't get me wrong she was ok and seemed to get the job done for the most part. However, over the last month or so I have gotten to see her several times and she has stepped her game up to a new level. She has managed to keep some known "big hitters" to fizzle out to the infield or pop out. She is not humming the ball by any means, I have not gunned her but would imagine she is in low to mid 50's. She just seems to have alot of junk that keeps teams off balance no matter how many times they face her. So I was curious to know if she was going to continue her career in college. I beleive she has something to offer.

Jennifer used to be a power house pitcher in 12 U. She has a screwball for a fastball she calls a slider. She throws at top speed 58. She also plays two other sports, volleyball and basketball. If she stops and focuses on pitching she has a shot at a good scholarship in softball but as she is now she really isnt effective in upper level travelball. High school teams are much easier for her to keep off balance. My guess is at 5'11 she will focus on basketball, I think she is more successful in this sport.

Yes, she is a senior. When you saw her early in the season, she hadn't thrown in quite some time. She was fresh out of basketball and has played first base for the softball team the last few years. Her success late in the season is testimony to her work ethic and determination and to the same for the entire Brentwood team. They are the most improved team in their district this year. I have seen Jennifer play all three sports. She is humble, graceful and she never shows any emotion. She is just what I would call STEADY. I am not certain about this but I think she is going to Duke to focus on academics and will play none of the three sports in college. If someone has heard differently, please correct me.

Thanks for your insight. You are probaly right on her effectiveness in stronger competiion, the district is weak with Ravenwood being the only other pressure team. But I have seen her throw against alot of travel players this year that I am used to seeing hit the ball extremely hard that have been less than successful against her. I did not realize that she played other sports as well, is she a senior? If not maybe her senior year she will pick a sport and focus on it to help secure herself a nice ride somewhere.

Thanks for your insight. You are probaly right on her effectiveness in stronger competiion, the district is weak with Ravenwood being the only other pressure team. But I have seen her throw against alot of travel players this year that I am used to seeing hit the ball extremely hard that have been less than successful against her. I did not realize that she played other sports as well, is she a senior? If not maybe her senior year she will pick a sport and focus on it to help secure herself a nice ride somewhere.

Her sister goes to Duke so I too am certain that is where she will go. Duke is an IVY league school that doesnt offer scholarships for Athletics. She may end up walking onto the vollyball team or softball team but not on a scholarship. You are right if she had focused on either one or two sports she could have gotten a scholarship somewhere, maybe even a top school,but she is a senior and it is too late now. Her dad is very wealthy so I am sure it wasnt a concern of his.

Her sister goes to Duke so I too am certain that is where she will go. Duke is an IVY league school that doesnt offer scholarships for Athletics. She may end up walking onto the vollyball team or softball team but not on a scholarship. You are right if she had focused on either one or two sports she could have gotten a scholarship somewhere, maybe even a top school,but she is a senior and it is too late now. Her dad is very wealthy so I am sure it wasnt a concern of his.

Duke is an ACC school, not an Ivy League school! and yes, they do offer athletic scholarships. you really believe that they could put together the mens and womens basketball teams they do w/o them?!?!?!?

Duke is an ACC school, not an Ivy League school! and yes, they do offer athletic scholarships. you really believe that they could put together the mens and womens basketball teams they do w/o them?!?!?!?

I checked , you are right, they are not an IVY school. I dont know why I thought that. They have what is called a NCAA Associate Club Sport team, whatever that is. They dont play anybody and they have tryouts each spring.

I checked , you are right, they are not an IVY school. I dont know why I thought that. They have what is called a NCAA Associate Club Sport team, whatever that is. They dont play anybody and they have tryouts each spring.

Duke, Clemson and Wake Forest are the only ACC teams who have yet to see the light with regard to Fastpitch softball. They do not have varsity softball teams yet at those schools. They do have "club" teams and they play a schedule against other schools who field "club" teams. It's kind of like intercollegiate intramurals.

Just thought I would help clear that up.

Duke, Clemson and Wake Forest are the only ACC teams who have yet to see the light with regard to Fastpitch softball. They do not have varsity softball teams yet at those schools. They do have "club" teams and they play a schedule against other schools who field "club" teams. It's kind of like intercollegiate intramurals.

Just thought I would help clear that up.

Thank you , that was a whole lot clearer than how I put it. Vanderbilt plays volleyball in a program like this.