Oak Ridge vs Hendersonville

soccerplayer123

oknative, the "ball that did not cross the line" the line the are talking about is the endline before the player crossed it to a player who vollyed it into the net.... does that make it clear? the ball did not go out for a goal kick, but the ref called the goal ball back because he thought it went out before the player crossed it. clear?

OK, got it. Officiating soccer is all angles and position. Don't imagine the call was intentional, but the ref didn't help himself if he was behind the play. Tough call. Glad it wasn't me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter where you were standing I doubt you were on the field. Therefore you were out of position. Did the ball go out, in the air, after the player kicked it for the cross? Are you sure?

Get a license. Ref some games. You will realize you can't see it all.Then come back and say you know better than the refs. You may view the game differently.

No matter where you were standing I doubt you were on the field. Therefore you were out of position. Did the ball go out, in the air, after the player kicked it for the cross? Are you sure?

Get a license. Ref some games. You will realize you can't see it all.Then come back and say you know better than the refs. You may view the game differently.

I'm not here to argue but your case is weak. I was as close to the field as one could possibly be. The ball was 10 to 15 yards in front of me so I had a much better view than the ref. I do not have my license, nor do I claim to know better than the refs - but I have seen a great deal of soccer and I do know the rule about a ball being out. It was kicked prior to going out and it was kicked at a backward angle so the answer to your question is "no" the ball did not go out in the air. Let's assume it did...the official guessed either way. I happen to think they do a good job for the most part. I'm not even saying that this call cost Hville the game - if you read my earlier post I said OR got the goal, did their job and Hville failed to score. I'm just giving you my perspective on the goal and the call. It was a missed call - its that simple. All refs have missed calls. This one was a missed call whether I have my license or not.

Everybody sees something different on the soccer field. And its for this reason why most referees usually don't consider fan, player or coach input when making calls. We can't.

Consider the play described. The play was described as a long pass that went all the way to the goal line. I know VERY few refs that can keep up with these 17 & 18 year old studs when they are racing at full speed after a ball. Face it, MOST refs in this situation are going to be behind the play. It was a tough call and I'm sure the ref made his decision on what he truly believes he saw.

Everybody sees something different on the soccer field. And its for this reason why most referees usually don't consider fan, player or coach input when making calls. We can't.

Consider the play described. The play was described as a long pass that went all the way to the goal line. I know VERY few refs that can keep up with these 17 & 18 year old studs when they are racing at full speed after a ball. Face it, MOST refs in this situation are going to be behind the play. It was a tough call and I'm sure the ref made his decision on what he truly believes he saw.

Speaking as a referee also, No referee should ever guess. Facts are as you state sometimes the ball +/or players will beat an AR to a position, when that occurs the montra is "when in doubt, do not guess."

The first person to relay the information was someone from Tullahoma, a town far from either school, standing still in position a yard or two from the goal line, while the AR was still more that 10 yards away trying to "catch up".

The ball was 10 to 15 yards in front of me so I had a much better view than the ref.

I'm assuming that you were behind the hashed lines behind the goal? I take this from your statement that the ball was in front of you, making your judging of the ball being in or out of play on a close on such as this impossible.

The assistant referee, whilst behind play as you stated, would've had a much better angle, and I suspect (knowing the guy in question), that he wouldn't have guessed, but would've seen the ball clearly over the line, even from a poor angle.

Just my 2c.

PS - yes I'm a ref. I had the honour and pleasure of refereeing HVille in the post-season last week and thought they looked really strong and composed. I wish Coach Plummer all the best.

PPS - Ref2Coach - fancy seeing you on here! I suspect you know who this is?!

PPPS - Brentwood vs Houston. Again, I've worked for both teams. It's going to be a banger.

I'm assuming that you were behind the hashed lines behind the goal? I take this from your statement that the ball was in front of you, making your judging of the ball being in or out of play on a close on such as this impossible.

The assistant referee, whilst behind play as you stated, would've had a much better angle, and I suspect (knowing the guy in question), that he wouldn't have guessed, but would've seen the ball clearly over the line, even from a poor angle.

Just my 2c.

PS - yes I'm a ref. I had the honour and pleasure of refereeing HVille in the post-season last week and thought they looked really strong and composed. I wish Coach Plummer all the best.

PPS - Ref2Coach - fancy seeing you on here! I suspect you know who this is?!

PPPS - Brentwood vs Houston. Again, I've worked for both teams. It's going to be a banger.

My position was on the corner looking right up the end line toward the goal. I am absolutely certain the ball did not go out - I don't know how else to say it. The ref was 10 yards up the side line behind the play....I don't expect them to keep up as someone else stated. I just think if you don't know in that position you simply don't make the call. I'm sure refs at this level (state tourney) are highly qualified so I would assume he's a fantastic ref. However, he made the same call up the sideline where the ball didn't completely cross the line - I'm sure an OR player could attest to this as it was right in front of their bench.

Now...I will concede if the rule states that if a player's foot is touching the ground beyond the line and touches the ball that it is considered out - I've not heard that but if it is the case then possibly the Hville player, while kicking at an angle to cross the ball back touched his foot beyond the end line and as he kicked the ball. Still would've been as assumption based on refs position but let me know if this is a rule.

Bottomline here: he made the call and it is over either way. The guy is not perfect and I'm sure there's a lot of pressure on those guys. Other than those two calls, he called a good game - correct on an offsides goal, etc. I don't see how you all do it with all the crazy parents yelling at you all the time. My hats off to you.

Speaking as a referee also, No referee should ever guess. Facts are as you state sometimes the ball +/or players will beat an AR to a position, when that occurs the montra is "when in doubt, do not guess."

The first person to relay the information was someone from Tullahoma, a town far from either school, standing still in position a yard or two from the goal line, while the AR was still more that 10 yards away trying to "catch up".

Agreed, you only call what you see - if you don't see it you can't call it. Which is why I said I would hope he truly believed that he saw the ball go over the line. That should have been the only reason he made that call.

The line is considered part of the area it surrounds, so as long as his feet are inside, or touching any part of the line, he is still in bounds. Just like the ball - as long as the ball is touching the line or the upward plane of the line, its in.

A player being outside of a field boundary line has NO BEARING on whether the ball is in play or not. A player may be temporarily, totally off of the field of play and play a ball that is in, on or above the boundary line.

boomer10 Thanks for clarifying your exact position. The game result is as it was. My curiosity was due to the player who made the cross was adament that the ball was still in play. At this time it makes no difference other than the discussion may clarify the rules for any who are in doubt.

A player being outside of a field boundary line has NO BEARING on whether the ball is in play or not. A player may be temporarily, totally off of the field of play and play a ball that is in, on or above the boundary line.

boomer10 Thanks for clarifying your exact position. The game result is as it was. My curiosity was due to the player who made the cross was adament that the ball was still in play. At this time it makes no difference other than the discussion may clarify the rules for any who are in doubt.

ref2coach, thanks for the catch. I stand corrected.