Knox Catholic v. Goodpasture

oknative

This is the third year we have been in DI, no one has ever been recruited to KCHS while we were in DII or DI. we were placed in DII because kids getting help from their parishes (Church) to attend KCHS. We have and always will be above the table, we are Knoxville CATHOLIC High School not Baylor or McCallie or any other rich boy school

Thanks for the explanation. I still think all privates should be in one division though because they all recruit in some shape or form. But then again look at Riverdale in football so it can happen anywhere so its really hard to argue that because public schools get away with it to.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the third year we have been in DI, no one has ever been recruited to KCHS while we were in DII or DI. we were placed in DII because kids getting help from their parishes (Church) to attend KCHS. We have and always will be above the table, we are Knoxville CATHOLIC High School not Baylor or McCallie or any other rich boy school

That is fact not opinion.

Congratulations beating up on all those poor public schools that have to take all comers and teach all children. You're now the tallest pygmy and the guy with most fingers at the leper colony. And as you say "That is fact not opinion".

Congratulations beating up on all those poor public schools that have to take all comers and teach all children. You're now the tallest pygmy and the guy with most fingers at the leper colony. And as you say "That is fact not opinion".

They havent been beating up on public schools they have been beating up on other private schools. So what is the base of your argument? And they will continue to play private schools in the tournament because the only two public schools that made it are out.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think all privates should be in one division though because they all recruit in some shape or form. But then again look at Riverdale in football so it can happen anywhere so its really hard to argue that because public schools get away with it to.

Actually this discussion need to take place in the General Discussions under Public/Private Debate.

Actually this discussion need to take place in the General Discussions under Public/Private Debate.

Well it doesn't bother me that much so I'm not going to waste my time going to another board to argue about something thats not going to change. Not every little private vs public statement has to be said on that board. I stated my opinion with the question I had and that was it.

They havent been beating up on public schools they have been beating up on other private schools. So what is the base of your argument? And they will continue to play private schools in the tournament because the only two public schools that made it are out.

Just to put a stake in this: KC couldn't hack it in DII and moved to DI where they just won their first championship in school history. Congratulations. Just be careful. Too much success and they'll kick you out of DI.

The basis of my argument is simple: KC couldn't hack it in DII and moved to DI where they at least could be in contention for state championships. Congratulations. You have now won the first state championship in school history - boys tennis, and you have a shot at soccer. Competition isn't nearly as tough but you get a trophy and a ring.

That is fact not opinion.

What an incredibly ignorant generalization made from someone with Coach in their id...disappointing!

"...because the only two public schools that made it are out..." Well put and just another reason that all private schools should be together in one division. I was shocked that any public schools made the tournament in A/AA.

The basis of my argument is simple: KC couldn't hack it in DII and moved to DI where they at least could be in contention for state championships. Congratulations. You have now won the first state championship in school history - boys tennis, and you have a shot at soccer. Competition isn't nearly as tough but you get a trophy and a ring.

Let me guess, you are a Webb guy? Whoever you are, you have a strong resentment for Catholic. Catholic soccer was very happy, and successful, in DII. The soccer program was against the move to DI. Several DII East Region Championships and state quater / semifinal appearances doesn't sound like a team that couldn't "hack it". Frankly, I am thankful for the rivalry that Catholic has with CAK. It is healthy and competitive. But, in DII, there was BAylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, and sometimes Webb. Don't jump all over me. I respct Webb as well. They have had some very good teams. But, since I am working on the assumption that you are a Webb guy, I must throw in the fact that Webb would fall in the lower part of DII East over the last 10 years. That is nothing to be ashamed of, it has been an excellent region

Anyway, you people can argue public/private all day (and I am sure that you will), but the line that Catholic couldn't cut it in DII is simply false. Again, the soccer program was happy in DII. The school switched to DI because the TSSAA said that they met the guidelines and it is cheaper to play DI due to travel requirements of DII. At most schools, including Catholic, the general feeling is that decisions are based on Basketball and Football. Well, both sports were doing very well in DII as well. both on the verge of state championships. The general feeling was that these sports would struggle in DI against Austin East and Fulton. In fact, they have done well (and caught slack for it).

The basis of my argument is simple: KC couldn't hack it in DII and moved to DI where they at least could be in contention for state championships. ...Competition isn't nearly as tough but you get a trophy and a ring.

It never ends...

Catholic did just fine in DII. We built a solid program and we advanced to the DII State tournament by being 1st or 2nd in DII East 4 out of the last 4 years we were in DII (2001-2005). Back then only the top two places out of DII East advanced---that's two out of Baylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, Webb, Kings Academy and Catholic. We were DII semifinalists three straight years in 2002, 2003 and 2004---I'd call that contending for state championships. And no we didn't win, but we competed. How did your teams do in A/AA those years?

We should never have been in DII to begin with. We don't recruit, we never recruited, we don't give scholarships, and we sure have never had the athletic department money of our competitors like Webb, McCallie or Baylor. We also never have had the pleasure of going 20 club players deep on varsity like Farragut, Bearden, and other "poor" public schools who "have to take whatever comes." We were and are lucky to get 3 or 4 players per class. Farragut, Bearden, LC, Science Hill and numerous others are "forced" to take two or three times that number in every class. Give me a break.

Seriously, it is time for some of the A/AA schools to commit to getting coaches and building their soccer programs or just get used to getting walked on by teams the way Catholic used to be treated before we started to take soccer seriously. You are totally correct, A/AA competition is less intense than DII. DII was and still is the best division, top to bottom, in the State. If Catholic could learn to compete in DII without money, scholarships and recruiting, your programs ought to be able to stand up in A/AA much more easily.

My own personal preference would be to do away with all of the divisions in soccer and play for one unified championship the way it was done in the early 90's. But can you imagine the whinning? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

"...because the only two public schools that made it are out..." Well put and just another reason that all private schools should be together in one division. I was shocked that any public schools made the tournament in A/AA.

So tell me what you're gonna do with Maryville - a public school that allows students (athletes) to transfer into their school from out of their school district? They've won the 2A football championship for like 5 years in a row. Isn't this the same thing you accuse the privates of doing? So publics do the exact same thing.