Knox Catholic v. Goodpasture

oknative

Congratulations to Knox Catholic for a very well played game tonight against Goodpasture. Good luck as the tournament moves forward.

Having said that, CONGRATULATIONS also to Goodpasture for a turnaround season and a run to the state tournament. Despite playing a team tonight that clearly had more talent, holding Knox Catholic to only 2 goals was a feat that GP should be VERY proud of.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the score did not show, Catholic dominated the game. But hats off to Good Pasture for not letting the game get out of hand. Im looking forward to watching more of Good Pasture in the years to come. Congrats to both teams. And good luck the the Irish on their quest for their first state title.

Although the score did not show, Catholic dominated the game. But hats off to Good Pasture for not letting the game get out of hand. Im looking forward to watching more of Good Pasture in the years to come. Congrats to both teams. And good luck the the Irish on their quest for their first state title.

I would agree on your assessment of the game. Catholic did dominate in most aspects of the game. However, the score didn't show it because Goodpasture's defense and goalie deserve a lot of credit for their efforts which kept Catholic from running the score up. Afterall, what was the count on shots on goal - 100 to 5?? I don't believe they scored on any direct drive in on the goal, instead their only two goals both came on one touch amazing kicks off of hard rebounds. Again, congrats Irish.

By the way, out of curiosity - how many of Catholic's players play travel ball. D1 or D2? It showed.

Catholic was certainly merciful. Don't let 2 - nil fool you. There wasn't much of a question who was going to win this one. Goodpasture got out shot 26 to 1. Their keeper is gonna have some considerable welts on him this morning. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The Irish roll on....it is your year! You believe that, Kazzam does too!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I would agree on your assessment of the game. Catholic did dominate in most aspects of the game. However, the score didn't show it because Goodpasture's defense and goalie deserve a lot of credit for their efforts which kept Catholic from running the score up. Afterall, what was the count on shots on goal - 100 to 5?? I don't believe they scored on any direct drive in on the goal, instead their only two goals both came on one touch amazing kicks off of hard rebounds. Again, congrats Irish.

By the way, out of curiosity - how many of Catholic's players play travel ball. D1 or D2? It showed.

I know that quite a few play club. Definitely more than half. But I would have to disagree with your assessment of Good Pasture's defense and goalie. You are right in the they did not let in many goals, but most any team can keep the score low when you pack the box. But i'm not taking anything away from Pasture, because it's a strategy of the game.

I know that quite a few play club. Definitely more than half. But I would have to disagree with your assessment of Good Pasture's defense and goalie. You are right in the they did not let in many goals, but most any team can keep the score low when you pack the box. But i'm not taking anything away from Pasture, because it's a strategy of the game.

Goodpasture has played 3 defenders and a sweeper all season - just like a million other teams. And the irish were inside our mids ALL night long - so not sure that would be considered packing the box. Holding Catholic to 2 goals on 26 shots on goal, from a team of that quality does say something about GPs defense. And I don't think your 26 shots on goal are counting AT LEAST as many shots that were blocked directly by the GP defense from going in on goal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to take away anything from the irish, their win was convincing and their skill level was incredible - and in the end it doesn't matter whether the score was 1-0 or 15-0. Irish win. Irish advance. But that said, the irish only scoring two goals wasn't from their lack of trying or opportunities, or being merciful - it was because that was about the only thing GP did with any success all night - keep all those irish shots from going in. And despite the loss, that's something GP can certainly be proud of. Go Cougars. Good luck Irish.

oknative, that was well put. I agree...the only points that count are the ones that find the net. Catholic moves on. Goodpasture was a good first match, it will help now that the Irish have settled into the soccer venue. I bet the kids put more than two up on their next opponent! They have so many that can hurt you, and the mids will have much better tempo on their passes now that they are used to playing on the field! Next opponent..watch out! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazito /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

p.s. the commentary by Kazzy is NOT expressly the "voice" of the Irish! (they apparent do their talking on the field) Whether they agree or disagree with me, this voice is my own opinion....so making this bulletin board material is, IMO, merely superficial!

the commentary by Kazzy is NOT expressly the "voice" of the Irish! (they apparent do their talking on the field) Whether they agree or disagree with me, this voice is my own opinion....so making this bulletin board material is, IMO, merely superficial!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I don't know Kaz, maybe we need to convert you and get you on our payroll! You are a great publicist! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I totally agree on the issue of Goodpasture's effort. From what I've heard of the match the Goodpasture mids and defense worked hard all night for a very good result considering the amount of possession Catholic was able to maintain.

I can easily think of two significant matches in Catholic's recent history that illustrate oknative's absolutely correct observations. In 2001 Catholic played at McCallie in the first round of the DII East Region Tournament. McCallie was then undefeated, #1 in Tennessee DII and ranked #2 overall in the Nation. Catholic played catenaccio to perfection that night in Chattanooga. We were outshot somewhere around 30-2 and we won the match and advanced to States with an enitrely improbable 1-0 win. Just three years later, the Irish were similarly ranked highly in DII and favored to face CBHS for the 2004 DII title. We lost at State to USN with virtually the same shot numbers--now in our favor---by the same 1-0 score.

The lessons are clear: 1) Only the shots that hit the net count; 2) You only have to score one more goal than the other guys to win; 3) Riding time (possession) only counts in wrestling; and 4) Anybody can beat anybody on a given night so respect every opponent, especially in knock-out games. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I totally agree on the issue of Goodpasture's effort. From what I've heard of the match the Goodpasture mids and defense worked hard all night for a very good result considering the amount of possession Catholic was able to maintain.

The lessons are clear: 1) Only the shots that hit the net count; 2) You only have to score one more goal than the other guys to win; 3) Riding time (possession) only counts in wrestling; and 4) Anybody can beat anybody on a given night so respect every opponent, especially in knock-out games. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good comments Hoya. I think Hendersonville suffered from those lessons yesterday. From what I heard, they outplayed their opponent all game, only to lose by 1. That's soccer.

This is the third year we have been in DI, no one has ever been recruited to KCHS while we were in DII or DI. we were placed in DII because kids getting help from their parishes (Church) to attend KCHS. We have and always will be above the table, we are Knoxville CATHOLIC High School not Baylor or McCallie or any other rich boy school

That is fact not opinion.