West Tennessee team camps?

BallerStatus

So who all was in action toady?? What camp are you talking about? who was the best teams up there? I heard about the Avery kid. I heard he is the real deal.

the martin westview team camp... martin, dresden, lexington, gibson county, lake county, union city, greenfield, munford, obion county, trenton, south fulton, fulton, ripley, and a few others. ripley and fulton were both really athletic and ripley beat them in a close one. i'd have to say the team that impressed me most was lexington, with really good speed and size and went 15 deep! yes the Avery kid has alot of potential to at least play ovc i'd say... did see he might have a slight attitude problem though... almost swung at a kid after an uncalled foul... but that could of been a one time deal that's the first time i've seen him in action...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTBaller, what teams were at the McNairy camp and who stood out. Also, did you or UTfan3 see McNairy play any. They lost alot from last year and was wondering what they looked like?

Unfortunately, I was only able to go the last day and only got see our games and the end of the games right before ours. Saw Mcnairy beat Station Camp (pretty sure), but when I got there, Jenkins was on the bench and only came in during the last few minutes of the game. Talked to Snyde (what I always called him) and he did say they were down this year and rebuilding.

I really did not know what to think after spending one day down there. I only saw us play Waterloo (?), Ripley and Corinth.....and wasn't impressed that much with Ripley even though I've seen where they seem to be doing pretty well. They were very atheletic and deep like some have said, though. We beat Waterloo (wherever that is) if that tells you anything.......and couldn't care less about Corinth. Only other game I saw any of was the end of Chester county and Waterloo........which was not pretty.

The only input I got was from my kid who used the word "drilled" alot! They are young, not many back. Gonna be a long season. They did stay with Ripley (under 10) for most of the first half, yet then, being the last day I guess, both coaches emptied the benches and our younger guys played most of the rest of the game.

This is my first year in a long time really paying attention to high school basketball, so I really hesitate to comment on many of the teams.......I think I was expecting a little more than what I saw, will take me some time to adjust.

Did seem like most teams were emptying the bench.......not caring a whole lot about who won or not...which was good, I guess?

WTBaller, what teams were at the McNairy camp and who stood out. Also, did you or UTfan3 see McNairy play any. They lost alot from last year and was wondering what they looked like?

Saw them yesterday. They beat Middleton by about 4. Middleton had deep bench but had ball handling prolbems. McNairy has about 3 really good players but they don't seem to be playing as a team at this time.

the martin westview team camp... martin, dresden, lexington, gibson county, lake county, union city, greenfield, munford, obion county, trenton, south fulton, fulton, ripley, and a few others. ripley and fulton were both really athletic and ripley beat them in a close one. i'd have to say the team that impressed me most was lexington, with really good speed and size and went 15 deep! yes the Avery kid has alot of potential to at least play ovc i'd say... did see he might have a slight attitude problem though... almost swung at a kid after an uncalled foul... but that could of been a one time deal that's the first time i've seen him in action...

Baller..I've seen Russell play the oast 3 seasons and I've never seen an attitude problem with him and especially swing at another player..even though you said almost.But ..with Channin being gone this year..a lot of teams may know he's the key player this year for Lake Co and put more pressure on him..some double teams..So.. maybe more pressure this year may bother him some this year..But definitely not the player I've seen the past 3 seasons

I would like to mention that Perry Co. really surprised me in this camp. I only saw 4 of the games they play going 3-1, beating teams like Gibson Co.(+23), Carlise Co., Kentucky(+7), and Dresden(+5). The two games they lost were to Obion Co.(-3 very close), and Union City(-a lot). But whatever District they are in should be in for a surprise this year and the years to come. I talked to their coach and he said they were very young. And one more discussion i would like to bring up is the 3 point shooter, he is amazing he prolly hit 15 3's against Obion Co. with a guy in his face!

I would like to mention that Perry Co. really surprised me in this camp. I only saw 4 of the games they play going 3-1, beating teams like Gibson Co.(+23), Carlise Co., Kentucky(+7), and Dresden(+5). The two games they lost were to Obion Co.(-3 very close), and Union City(-a lot). But whatever District they are in should be in for a surprise this year and the years to come. I talked to their coach and he said they were very young. And one more discussion i would like to bring up is the 3 point shooter, he is amazing he prolly hit 15 3's against Obion Co. with a guy in his face!

I believe Obion Central's top player,Nick Gilliam is out with an injury so they're probably not the same team they'll be when the season starts and you said Union City won by a lot..Most people think U.C. will finish 3rd in our district this year so maybe they've just reloaded..Looks like our District 14A is going to be tough again this year

I believe Obion Central's top player,Nick Gilliam is out with an injury so they're probably not the same team they'll be when the season starts and you said Union City won by a lot..Most people think U.C. will finish 3rd in our district this year so maybe they've just reloaded..Looks like our District 14A is going to be tough again this year

Maybe so but i am just saying that Perry Co. is not the same team as last year starting the season beating a few good teams. Union City is an outstanding ball club they probably hit 20 threes against Perry Co. and there was nothing they could do about it. I also talked to their coach he says there is not a day he drives by the gym when all 15 players aren't in the gym playing pick up or lifting weights to get better. They are a dedicated team with all 15 players playong nothing but basketball 365, while other teams with some big time players contributing to other sports such as football or baseball.

Yeah, I got there a little before halftime of that game, and that kid hit almost everything he threw up....I think his number was 44...bald kid with the head band......Whether or not the team will be good.....that kid can shoot

I went and watched OC vs Trenton yesterday at 6....OC misses too many layups(missed atleast 6 in the 2nd half).....They make them they win by 6-10 points....but they lost.....The kids with the big hair for Trenton really shot lights out....Jacques Williams for OC looks to be a really good post player coming up for the Rebels(Soph.) Brandon Smith continues to impress me everytime I watch him.....

I will probably be going to Paragould, Arkansas this coming up Saturday to watch OC play in the Greene Co. Tech Camp......Scott Bowling, former GC head coach, hosts this camp.....

Maybe so but i am just saying that Perry Co. is not the same team as last year starting the season beating a few good teams. Union City is an outstanding ball club they probably hit 20 threes against Perry Co. and there was nothing they could do about it. I also talked to their coach he says there is not a day he drives by the gym when all 15 players aren't in the gym playing pick up or lifting weights to get better. They are a dedicated team with all 15 players playong nothing but basketball 365, while other teams with some big time players contributing to other sports such as football or baseball.

I wasn't trying to say Perry Co didn't have anything..I probably should have worded it differently..Most people think U.C. is going to finish 3rd behind Humboldt and Lake Co ..I said Union City must have just reloaded..Plus,I've been hearing good things about Trenton even though I thought they lost most of their players..Looks to be a tough district again this year if U.C. shoots as well as you say they did..Good luck to Perry Co this year!

I wasn't trying to say Perry Co didn't have anything..I probably should have worded it differently..Most people think U.C. is going to finish 3rd behind Humboldt and Lake Co ..I said Union City must have just reloaded..Plus,I've been hearing good things about Trenton even though I thought they lost most of their players..Looks to be a tough district again this year if U.C. shoots as well as you say they did..Good luck to Perry Co this year!

I was at the Westview camp and talked to Coach Hart there the team is currently 8-3 during the summer with wins over, west carroll, trenton, munford, U.C., TCA, and with close loses to Lexington and Ripley and a game vs. Perry County where 3 of the players from GC wasnt there for personal reasons, plus Hart played alot of players that game. Coach Hart said the guys are really working so far this summer and he is pleased with the progress considering only 7 practices. I think he knows they have along way to go, but I believe they will be one of the best 2 teams in the district along with Westview and Dyer Co. behind both G.C. and Westview. They have a big week next week with a full week of team camps with very tuff camps. I hope the guys keep working hard and listening to what Coach Hart is trying to teach them as they can have a very successful upcoming season if they do. I believe Hart has blended some of U.C.'s stuff into his own game plan, but by far I do not believe they are playing the same super fast pace that U.C. does. G.C. does press some, but alot of man pressure on defense. Offensively they seem to set up some things a little more especially if they need a basket and go to ralph or the reeves boy.

All in all its a great start for Coach Hart and the Pioneers boys basketball program.

I was at the Westview camp and talked to Coach Hart there the team is currently 8-3 during the summer with wins over, west carroll, trenton, munford, U.C., TCA, and with close loses to Lexington and Ripley and a game vs. Perry County where 3 of the players from GC wasnt there for personal reasons, plus Hart played alot of players that game. Coach Hart said the guys are really working so far this summer and he is pleased with the progress considering only 7 practices. I think he knows they have along way to go, but I believe they will be one of the best 2 teams in the district along with Westview and Dyer Co. behind both G.C. and Westview. They have a big week next week with a full week of team camps with very tuff camps. I hope the guys keep working hard and listening to what Coach Hart is trying to teach them as they can have a very successful upcoming season if they do. I believe Hart has blended some of U.C.'s stuff into his own game plan, but by far I do not believe they are playing the same super fast pace that U.C. does. G.C. does press some, but alot of man pressure on defense. Offensively they seem to set up some things a little more especially if they need a basket and go to ralph or the reeves boy.

All in all its a great start for Coach Hart and the Pioneers boys basketball program.

Looks like some good basketball teams this comming year for our area..Purple said he had watched Lake Co and that they had beaten Dyer Co and Dyersburg by 9 and someelse else said in a camp that Ripley and Fulton Co were very athletic..So..a lot of these teams may still have palyers out..Central has Nick Gilliam out I believe ..so it's probably early yet..In Lake Co's case..hear they are looking pretty good..but if 6'6 Bledsoe decides to play and if Coach Whitby allows Dominic Kimble to play this year..can be evn better..So..there's probabl still a little uncertainty for a lot of teams still..Looks like Gibson Co has been playing prety well..Hudson in the lineup would have probably helped even more as the season went along had he not decided to have gone to Dyer Co..Good luck to all the area teams..Win or lose..I love good basketball!