Sequoyah

dumdum

I just want to say that I think the board made a huge mistake with their vote. There is no way Monroe County Atheltics will survive without community coaches. With that being said thinsk about this for a minute. Who in their right mind would want to coach in Monroe County as a volunteer if they did not have family involved in the sport. I mean you guys pay them so much to put up with the politics I can see people beating on the door to coach now. Jeff and Dave I am sorry you guys got screwed because I for one know for a fact that your kids were not the only ones you cared about. You were just like any other and just wanted to best for them and tried to help by working with the folks around them. I know a lot more about this than you will ever know. Tell Jake and John Ray to remember what character is like they have been told before and to just do what is right which I know they will.

Character - What you are doing when noone else is watching.... Some schoold board people need to learn this and do the right things.

Thanks that means alot.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to stir the pot but at Central right now, they have 5 Volunteer football asst. coaches and not a single one has a kid in the program. It can work if there are people in the community who want to help for the right reasons.

Just and outsider observation.

The problem is finding good coaches to step up and do it. We had 3 vol. coaches in football 2 had kids playing 1 did'nt. The 2 that had kids playing did'nt ask for the jobs, they were approached by the school and asked if they would help. I know with Jeff he turned it down 2 times. The 3rd time he was approached he agreed to help. Its hard to find people who can find the time to do this. We all know that this is year around thats alot of time to give exspecially when these folks don't get paid. Where this really is going to hurt is in the minor sports. Not alot of folks out there that are going to coach soccer, volleyball, track, cross country and so on. These sports really need the help. When you figure in that the county does not even offer paid asst. positions in alot of the sports, what are they to do. Just go without the help? The school Board did'nt think this through.

Coach Satterfield and I had this discussion while he was at Greenback and again recently. He and I share the same viewpoint. I do not have a problem with a parent being a coach as long as they are a coach only on the playing surface. What I mean by that is, we have all seen it at sometime, a dad coaches his son and that son gets special treatment and is tried to be made the superstar. I do not believe that is acceptable. In the same scenario, I have seen dad's that have been able to coach their sons and be an overall good coach because they only wanted to make the team better, not just their son. I personally do not want to coach my son because I know I would be harder on him than anyone else. I also want his accomplishments to be recognized on his own merits and not allow anyone to say he got it because his dad is the coach. I feel like that any dad that coaches his son will always automatically get that criticism whether it exists or not. To answer your question, if a dad can distinguish between being a dad and a coach and can seperate the two, then no I do not have a problem with it. We have had some good volunteer assistants at Sequoyah who have been dads that have been able to make that seperation. A lot has happened involving volunteer assistants at Sequoyah in the last while and it has caused a lot of knee jerk decisions. Good or bad, those decisions have been made and we will have to live with those decisions. A school as big as Sequoyah should not have to rely so heavily on volunteers, but the sad reality is the school has to be very dependent on them. I know of two dads at Tellico a few years ago that I had heard people say that they were only doing it because of their daughters. Their daughters have since graduated and they are still volunteering their time as much if not more. Again I feel the same as Coach Satterfield and I believe a coach should be able to hire who he wants, but I agree with them having to meet approval, whether by the board, principal, AD, or whoever so that proper checks can be made. As far as what is termed "daddy" coaches, I feel it should be done on a case by case basis. I don't think it is right to punish the ones that can seperate coach and dad just because others can't. This is not an accusation towards anyone, just an observation of seeing this for several years. Bottom line is some can make the seperation and some can't. Those that can should be allowed to continue their good works and those that can't shouldn't. I hope this answers your question.

So Kevin in your honest opinion under which of your scenarios did Jeff and I fall under? You may feel free to separate your feelings on each of us if necessary.

Thanks that means alot.

Maybe we should start another board headed "Monroe County Interscholastic Sports"! I hate to use the Sequoyah forum, but these folks are most informed about the shenanigans of the board members. Due to outside interests that could influence their votes Dean Williams, Sonya Martin Lynn and Doris Davis should have recused themselves from the topic. Williams apparently had alliances that had to be paid back, Lynn was just being vindictive and following along with Williams, Davis as mentioned had family that were directly involved with the issue. According to TSBA amd MCSBA policy there is no way that either of the three should have been allowed to cast a counted vote.

Monroe County Board Policy

Article II Section 2. I will represent at ALL times the entire school community and REFUSE to represent "SPECIAL INTERESTS" or PARTISAN POLITICS.

Article III Section 3. I WILL NOT CRITICIZE empolyees publicly but will make such criticism to the DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS for investigation and action if necessary

Article IV Section 2. I will REFUSE to make promises as to how I will vote on a matter which should PROPERLY COME BEFORE THE BOARD AS A WHOLE.

Section 3. I will make decisions only after FULL discussion of matters at a board meeting.

Section 4. I will respect the opinion of other members and will accept the principle of "majority rule."

Article V. Section 3. I will refer ALL complaints and concerns to the APPROPRIATE school official.

Article VI. Section 2. I will avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest, and will refrain from USING MY BOARD POSITION FOR PERSONAL OR PARTISAN GAIN.

Thanks that means alot.

Maybe we should start another board headed "Monroe County Interscholastic Sports"! I hate to use the Sequoyah forum, but these folks are most informed about the shenanigans of the board members. Due to outside interests that could influence their votes Dean Williams, Sonya Martin Lynn and Doris Davis should have recused themselves from the topic. Williams apparently had alliances that had to be paid back, Lynn was just being vindictive and following along with Williams, Davis as mentioned had family that were directly involved with the issue. According to TSBA amd MCSBA policy there is no way that either of the three should have been allowed to cast a counted vote.

Article II Section 2. I will represent at ALL times the entire school community and REFUSE to represent "SPECIAL INTERESTS" or PARTISAN POLITICS.

Article III Section 3. I WILL NOT CRITICIZE empolyees publicly but will make such criticism to the DIRECTOR OF SCHOOLS for investigation and action if necessary

Article IV Section 2. I will REFUSE to make promises as to how I will vote on a matter which should PROPERLY COME BEFORE THE BOARD AS A WHOLE.

Section 3. I will make decisions only after FULL discussion of matters at a board meeting.

Section 4. I will respect the opinion of other members and will accept the principle of "majority rule."

Article V. Section 3. I will refer ALL complaints and concerns to the APPROPRIATE school official.

Article VI. Section 2. I will avoid being placed in a position of conflict of interest, and will refrain from USING MY BOARD POSITION FOR PERSONAL OR PARTISAN GAIN.

There is no question that Dean Williams, Doris Davis, Jean Allison and Sonya Lynn broke all of those Policies. This is not just about sports because if you will stoop to this level,, it has and will carry over into the majority of the decisions you make. Doris , and Sonya will get beat(people must vote), Jean is retiring and Dean Williams should resign immediately. He has held these kids back long enough with his vendetta's and bulling ways. Everyone that cares about these kids should call the Advocate and tell them they need to do a "Real" story on it.

There is no question that Dean Williams, Doris Davis, Jean Allison and Sonya Lynn broke all of those Policies. This is not just about sports because if you will stoop to this level,, it has and will carry over into the majority of the decisions you make. Doris , and Sonya will get beat(people must vote), Jean is retiring and Dean Williams should resign immediately. He has held these kids back long enough with his vendetta's and bulling ways. Everyone that cares about these kids should call the Advocate and tell them they need to do a "Real" story on it.

i have a good idea why cant everyone get over there self and start talking about sum football everyone nos what has happen out here is uncalled for and it goes all the way back 2 summey beening fired it is almost time for the season to start and it want help anything if the kids have got to listen to this crap all year

No doubt that this is a underhanded bunch that needs to go!

Maybe we should start another board headed "Monroe County Interscholastic Sports"! I hate to use the Sequoyah forum, but these folks are most informed about the shenanigans of the board members.

I agree that we should start another thread. Let's get the politics off this thread and instead use it for promoting/commenting on the return of unity, hard work and accomplishments (or constructive criticism) of this team. Although most of them had not other alternative, these new and returning players have chosen to come back to a team that has unknown coaches, unkown game plans and renewed bickering between the Vonore and Madisonvilee factions (the majority of these boys DON'T CARE which town they are from-they just want to play football!!!!). Let's use this thread to support and encourage these brave players who are showing the character mentioned previously.

I agree that we should start another thread. Let's get the politics off this thread and instead use it for promoting/commenting on the return of unity, hard work and accomplishments (or constructive criticism) of this team. Although most of them had not other alternative, these new and returning players have chosen to come back to a team that has unknown coaches, unkown game plans and renewed bickering between the Vonore and Madisonvilee factions (the majority of these boys DON'T CARE which town they are from-they just want to play football!!!!). Let's use this thread to support and encourage these brave players who are showing the character mentioned previously.

thank you but there is no way that it will be just for that reson.There are some people that just want to keep the trouble stirred up and will never just shut up and every one knows who they are.