Lewis County

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win most of the regular season games...

This may be LC's last year of easy pickins in the regular season. Check out next year's new grouping:

District 12: 3A East Hickman, Hickman Co., Lewis Co., Loretto; 4a Giles Co., Marshall Co., Page, Spring Hill

Next year we will not have to wait till playoff time to see Hohenwald's weaknesses exposed. If you think your going to be able to run up the middle 60 times a game against those 4A programs and be successful... think again.

I for one am tickled to death at the new alignment. It might finally force the program to expand the offense. Don't abandon the wing-t, just make it more dynamic.

Last year against Mt Pleasant, Crowell ran some veer-option that was spectacular. We all thought the staff had finally clued in, yet by mid-season it was non-existent.

C'mon, coaches. You gotta trust this kid. He is too good of an athlete to be just a hand-off machine.

i think speed helps but not that much in highschool well 2a football not so much.. who ever wants it more will win! thats wat i think

You think speed isn't a factor in 2A football. your kidding right? Speed is the biggest factor at any level, period. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you can out coach speed because you can't. People have this romantic view of how coaches come up with this masterful plan to beat the other team and stymie all their speed. Doesn't happen friend. Case in point: Goodpasture.... They had avg speed and continued to win, generally recruiting about one or two players a year that were very athletic. But to their surprise Alcoa had better speed, much better speed. So what does a good private school do.....they recruit more speed. Look at the last three years and tell me i'm wrong. Gp will continue to recruit more and more speed until they somehow catch up. Alcoa will continue to thump their heads and anyone else unfortunate enough to match up with them at whatever level they play until someone can play at the same speed as them.

Here is some of the Leading passers in LC history

Most TD passers in a season

WESLEY DUNCAN

TYLER BELL

CHARLIE BREWER

CHARLIE BREWER

ROB CODILL

WESLEY DUNCAN

DAVID SHARP

Most Yds. in a season

TYLER BELL

TYLER BELL

WESLEY DUNCAN

WESLEY DUNCAN

CHARLIE BREWER

DAVID SHARP

SHANNON PETERS

CHARLIE BREWER

Most yds. passing in a careerTYLER BELL

WESLEY DUNCAN

TERRY BUNCH

CHARLIE BREWER

ROBERT COGDILL

SHANNON PETERS

DAVID A. SHARP

BRIAN HINSON

BILLY BARNES

JASON GRAVES

I see several QBs that played for Coach Sharp on each list

You think speed isn't a factor in 2A football. your kidding right? Speed is the biggest factor at any level, period. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you can out coach speed because you can't. People have this romantic view of how coaches come up with this masterful plan to beat the other team and stymie all their speed. Doesn't happen friend. Case in point: Goodpasture.... They had avg speed and continued to win, generally recruiting about one or two players a year that were very athletic. But to their surprise Alcoa had better speed, much better speed. So what does a good private school do.....they recruit more speed. Look at the last three years and tell me i'm wrong. Gp will continue to recruit more and more speed until they somehow catch up. Alcoa will continue to thump their heads and anyone else unfortunate enough to match up with them at whatever level they play until someone can play at the same speed as them.

Lewis Co. will not beat Giles, Marshall, nor Page because all of those teams will spread the Panthers out and it will look like an arena football game to them. All of them are faster and more athletic than LC. It's not just Lewis Co. either though folks. Hickman Co. & East Hickman & Loretto are all going to experience the same thing for the next four years as well.

At the same time Lewis will be good this year. They are in a region where the only team that can even test them is Hickman Co. Harpeth is coming back but they aren't there yet and Fairview is not the same team that they were in years like 2003 & 2004. East Hickman is still buidling and Loretto is terrible.

As for speed..........YOU'D ALL BETTER AGREE WITH TURBO!!!! Alcoa wins with speed. Goodpasture thought they were "fast" all year last season but they got exposed.....AGAIN........in their BC Bowl beatdown against Alcoa.

well let me rephrase myself.. speed is helpful but u dont hav 2 hav 2 be a really fast team 2 win in 2a football.. 40 yard dash means nothin in highschool football its wat u do side 2 side.im sayin i will take techique n quick people over speedy people... but i will say if u hav 2 teams thats even on everything than yes speed could be the difference but speed is over rated..

Football has evolved into a speed game. If it were all about strength then the teams that just lined up in the I Formation and the Wing-T and ran the ball down peoples throats would always win. The fact that just about everyone is running spread stuff these days shows that people are trying to get everyone outside the box and utilize team speed.

POWER = Nebraska under Tom Osborne

SPEED = Florida under Urban Meyer

Teams like those examples run the ball to win games but the difference in the styles that they go about doing so is due to the way that the sport has evolved over the last 10 years. Osborne's last National Title came in January of 1998 when the Corn Huskers demolished Tennessee in the Orange Bowl. Florida's last National Title came in January of 2007 when the Gators demolished Ohio State.

Unless you are superior to teams and have the ability to do so (ie USC in the "soft" Pac 10) then you'll rarely see a team just line up and hammer the opposition at will out of the traditional I-Formation. That's because power is no longer #1 on the priority list.

THAT WOULD BE SPEED!!!!!

well let me rephrase myself.. speed is helpful but u dont hav 2 hav 2 be a really fast team 2 win in 2a football.. 40 yard dash means nothin in highschool football its wat u do side 2 side.im sayin i will take techique n quick people over speedy people... but i will say if u hav 2 teams thats even on everything than yes speed could be the difference but speed is over rated..

If your in LC's region and the majority of teams are slow then the team with the most speed wins or if your all slow then the strongest and best coached wins then gets beat early in the playoffs. Ex. Gatlinburg Pittman, great record every year only to be demolished by alcoa every year. Why? They play up there in that mountain region where there is no speed, when they see it their head explodes.

Coach Sharp and his staff do perhaps the best job in the state with the talent they have. They seem to have developed some speed but I personally believe speed is god given so you can only develop so much. They are very good defensively and man do they coach those kids up. I personally think we might see them get to a state final someday but what would have to happen is for them to get a good draw in the first three rounds where they don't run into to much speed. That would set up a "anything can happen" scenerio in the semi's and I believe sharps karma might be good enough to pull it out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Football has evolved into a speed game. If it were all about strength then the teams that just lined up in the I Formation and the Wing-T and ran the ball down peoples throats would always win. The fact that just about everyone is running spread stuff these days shows that people are trying to get everyone outside the box and utilize team speed.

POWER = Nebraska under Tom Osborne

SPEED = Florida under Urban Meyer

Teams like those examples run the ball to win games but the difference in the styles that they go about doing so is due to the way that the sport has evolved over the last 10 years. Osborne's last National Title came in January of 1998 when the Corn Huskers demolished Tennessee in the Orange Bowl. Florida's last National Title came in January of 2007 when the Gators demolished Ohio State.

Unless you are superior to teams and have the ability to do so (ie USC in the "soft" Pac 10) then you'll rarely see a team just line up and hammer the opposition at will out of the traditional I-Formation. That's because power is no longer #1 on the priority list.

THAT WOULD BE SPEED!!!!!

well i waz talkin bout highschool football ur examples r from college football were u do hav 2 hav speed cause everyon runs under a 5flat in D1 college football... BUT in highskool football quickness is all u need buddy trust me!!!!!

Well fellers,LEEEEEET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUMBLE!!!!I'm STOKED!!!!!!! for this coming season.I am a bit curious on how everyone thinks the "D" will be this year?What about the MLB's?theyve got some big shoes to fill. Hinson's still a junior,and mathis will be going both ways,how will they do?Have there been any position changes?Someone fix me up with a reply,it would be much appreciated! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> LETS ROCK N ROLL FOLKS!!!