BA's Loaded

moose

You are clearly out of touch (or without a clue) about this school. While I cannot speak to the admittance tests that are used at other schools, I can tell you that BA does have a high standard for academics. I can also tell you that most kids at BA do not come for athletics first -- BA offers a rounded experience that includes athletics but also places high emphasis on academics and spiritual growth. Having just graduated my second son (both of whom are now in college on full academic scholorships by the way -- yes they took after thier mother) I can speak to the education that BA offers from personal experience.

Be careful not to believe everything you hear from "many educational circles" . . .

I couldn't agree more with you! I am a parent of 2 @ the school, an alum, and will say this...I could not be happier with the school...in my book it is money well spent ($32,000+ a year...yes, believe it or not, my children are not on scholarship).

BA was founded as a school to offer a broader educational experience for a wide array of students from different social and economic backgrounds. My children are developing in ways (spiritually) which are more important than any championship.

It's just this simple, those with no connection to the school will never grasp the intangibles that make this school special. It's not "better" than others, all the top schools are unique in their own ways, but BA has been super successful for years due to a unique blend of philosophy and leadership.

I am not one for pointing fingers and being "politically correct", but let's face it...the ridiculous statements made by those that criticize BA for their poor academics are making those statements solely on the fact that BA has many prominent black students who are successful athletically, plain and simple. All these children ultimately graduate and move on to college, and come from wonderful families. It is insulting to these students and parents to imply anything else. While I can not offer proof as to the underlying cynicism regarding BA's academics, I can offer this man's opinion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They weren't even the best team in Blount County last year... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Eye thank johnandjimmy haz a knew cry-tear-ia for figgerin' out tha best teems... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more with you! I am a parent of 2 @ the school, an alum, and will say this...I could not be happier with the school...in my book it is money well spent ($32,000+ a year...yes, believe it or not, my children are not on scholarship).

BA was founded as a school to offer a broader educational experience for a wide array of students from different social and economic backgrounds. My children are developing in ways (spiritually) which are more important than any championship.

It's just this simple, those with no connection to the school will never grasp the intangibles that make this school special. It's not "better" than others, all the top schools are unique in their own ways, but BA has been super successful for years due to a unique blend of philosophy and leadership.

I am not one for pointing fingers and being "politically correct", but let's face it...the ridiculous statements made by those that criticize BA for their poor academics are making those statements solely on the fact that BA has many prominent black students who are successful athletically, plain and simple. All these children ultimately graduate and move on to college, and come from wonderful families. It is insulting to these students and parents to imply anything else. While I can not offer proof as to the underlying cynicism regarding BA's academics, I can offer this man's opinion.

For all the people saying MBA expels atheletes that BA wouldn't, YOUR RIGHT! I attend MBA and for a fact we lost 11 kids this year, the majority of them being excellent at football. 5 applied to BA and were accepted...I am also good freinds with a few BA attendents who excel at football, and they have told me that it is very easy and most of the focus is on Football. How is that fare?? With most of Ba's players coming from Antioch I don't see how they don't recruit. In my grade at MBA, we have 3 black boys. Iv'e personally talked to boys who have been interviewd for acceptance at Ba, and at least 5 boys told me they were sat down by Ralph Potter and talked for an hour about them playing football their. The TSSAA needs to do another investigation with BA. This doesn't mention that everyday that have an hour P.E. and a 30 MINUETE CLEANUP SESSION!!!!! At MBA we don't get physical activities during the day. One senior at BA told me that he sometimes wished his school wasn't a total joke and that he had too work. Thats not an exageration. And what do you know... HE STARTS ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM

For all the people saying MBA expels atheletes that BA wouldn't, YOUR RIGHT! I attend MBA and for a fact we lost 11 kids this year, the majority of them being excellent at football. 5 applied to BA and were accepted...I am also good freinds with a few BA attendents who excel at football, and they have told me that it is very easy and most of the focus is on Football. How is that fare?? With most of Ba's players coming from Antioch I don't see how they don't recruit. In my grade at MBA, we have 3 black boys. Iv'e personally talked to boys who have been interviewd for acceptance at Ba, and at least 5 boys told me they were sat down by Ralph Potter and talked for an hour about them playing football their. The TSSAA needs to do another investigation with BA. This doesn't mention that everyday that have an hour P.E. and a 30 MINUETE CLEANUP SESSION!!!!! At MBA we don't get physical activities during the day. One senior at BA told me that he sometimes wished his school wasn't a total joke and that he had too work. Thats not an exageration. And what do you know... HE STARTS ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM

An an MBA alumnus, I have to tell you this sort of screed doesn't make us look any better, on any level.

I doubt that anyone believes this is posted by a real MBA student. I certainly don't.

There's no way this kid attends MBA. It sounds just like the "UT Grad" who called Bill King's show several years ago to ask where the homecoming game was going to be played.

There's no way this kid attends MBA. It sounds just like the "UT Grad" who called Bill King's show several years ago to ask where the homecoming game was going to be played.

Agreed, there are way too many typos/mispellings in his posts for this guy to be an MBA student.

Not a powerhouse...just a quality high school football program. Certainly MBA has been better over the past ten years, nobody can rationally argue otherwise.

For the most part, I think you will find that most of the MBA and BA supporters (and players) on here have a great deal of mutual repect for each other. The exceptions are the immature, wimpy kids who couldn't dream of playing football for either of these fine programs and instaead take out their agressions behind a keyboard, or jealous people who wouldn't be admitted to either school.

THANK YOU!!!!

It is my understanding that since they have such a strong team this year Maryville, Riverdale and others are calling the school every day wanting a game. The other coaches have now decided it wouldn't be a waste of their time to play BA and that BA finally may be able to give them a good game.

I dont know about Maryville and Riverdale calling Ba for a game, maybe the other way around.....

I enjoyed reading this quote from Alex Bullard in his profile on the Knoxville News Sentinel today:

"There are a lot of similarities between the college and private-school setting at my school," said Bullard, who plans to major in computer science or mathematics. "Of course, it's the college level, but it's just similar in the way they do things." That's a kid who will be going places in life.

I also remember when Jason Hill signed with VU from BA, in his interview with the Tennessean, he was asked where he saw himself in 10 years, and why he chose Vanderbilt. That's easy, he said...his words were (something like) "I want to be an entrepenuer, and start my own business, and a Vanderbilt degree is the best way to get there." No "I'll be an NFL starter" or anything like that.

Same way I enjoyed reading the profiles on Sonny Grey from Smyrna...he pretty much told the mlb teams not to draft him, because there was zero chance he wasn't going to Vanderbilt to play for Coach Corbin and get a VU education.

Anyways, not related to moronic stuff on this thread, but it's enjoyable to read about some kids around here who "get it."

COMMON any school could be a powerhouse with DIVISION ONE talent if they were allowed to recruit kids like BA ,MBA etc-I mean lil sisters of the poor high school could be powerful if they went out and recruited some kids as well -

we actually aren't "allowed" to recruit kids, so any recruiting we're doing is against the rules. I guess that speaks to the talent of our organizations that we manage to do it so well while at the same time avoiding trouble with the TSSAA.