District 13AA

GCPioneer

I know Obion Co. Central is well over 1000 people. Gibson Co. is around the 850 mark but Medina (feeder to Gibson Co.) is getting their own high school right now so we'll probably stay a small AA school or a large A school. Dyer Co. is starting to get big and is probably close to 1000 people. Crockett Co. is about the size of Gibson Co. as is Milan.

While all of this is supposed to be looked at for next year but with those numbers, it is on the borderline if not over to jump in another classification for some of those schools. I'm sure as close as those schools are and the rivalries that have been built up, that will be as traumatic as some will be all over the rest of the state. Then part of the situation will be to make travel better for as many schools as possible.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gibson Co. drops to Single A, it'll be VERY VERY VERY VERY SCARY!!!!!!!! I don't know if it'd happen or not but when Medina's High School is done, Gibson Co. will lose about 1/4 of it's students to Medina if the Medina kids to attend Medina instead of finishing at GC. I've heard that Medina is supposed to start out as a 9th and 10th grade and then build up to all 4 grades so who knows.

If Obion Central moves to AAA, then that will not help the fact of travel. The closest AAA school to Obion Co. would probably be one of the Jackson schools or possibly Millington and that's a very long drive to both places. I don't know what the cut off is for AA-AAA but I know Obion is around 1100-1200 people. If someone from OC could give the exact number it'd be appreciated!

If Gibson Co. drops to Single A, it'll be VERY VERY VERY VERY SCARY!!!!!!!! I don't know if it'd happen or not but when Medina's High School is done, Gibson Co. will lose about 1/4 of it's students to Medina if the Medina kids to attend Medina instead of finishing at GC. I've heard that Medina is supposed to start out as a 9th and 10th grade and then build up to all 4 grades so who knows.

If Obion Central moves to AAA, then that will not help the fact of travel. The closest AAA school to Obion Co. would probably be one of the Jackson schools or possibly Millington and that's a very long drive to both places. I don't know what the cut off is for AA-AAA but I know Obion is around 1100-1200 people. If someone from OC could give the exact number it'd be appreciated!

Obion have football?

Guest nwtnsports

I could see Milan makin the 4 spot but I just don't know. I just don't think they have the guards to handle the press. I know they have an outstanding post player in Perika Glenn but I just don't know. They might make the 4 spot.

GC, I'm not sure that Milan will be able to handle the press of Gibson Co., Obion Central or Westview. They have a couple of quick young guards, though, that can use their floor vision. Coach Volbert will probably work with the girls on that, as it did give them some problems last season - for example, region championship. I think the Lady Bulldogs will find their success on defense this year. They have Glenn inside, who did a great job in the state tournament - like with 6'3" Karissa Dyer from Upperman; Simpson, who plays smart; an aggressive defender in Joyner and Hamm, who can hold her own.

It may take some time, especially this summer, after losing Gray and Poston. But from what I've seen from the three returning starters, last year's sixth girl in Hamm and a few younger players, Milan will compete.

As for classification, here are the '06-'07 enrollment numbers:

Dyer Co. - 1035

Dyersburg - 990

Obion Central - 922

Crockett Co. - 814

Gibson Co. - 778

Westview - 651

Milan - 630

Medina and Gibson. Medina is a VERY fast growing area. Probably one of the quickest growing areas around. Most of the people are moving out of Jackson and into Medina. Medina will wind up being a large A school or a small AA school but that's just a guess. Medina will keep growing and growing as well because businesses are starting to come into the area alot more now.

So they are AA in basketball?

Do your home work. The info is available on this website. AA - A basketball is the best. Don't read too much into when I post or where I post. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

The TSSAA website has all the school size/classification and other good info.