Best HS game ever?

Guest panther09

Guest JP7SHELLY

I think the best game i ever saw in high school football was M.B.A. against Jacksonville Bolles when Ingle was a junior. Back and forth all night between 2 great teams.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ridge1grbk

Don't know if its the best, but it's one of the best recent, William blount over Dobyns Bennett in the playoffs this past year, 5-5 WB vs. 10-0 DB, who gave the govs a chance, but 5A player of the year reece mcmahan pulled out some magic and led them to a last second victory over the tribe with an impressive 4th quarter drive, it wasnt the last second field goal that was impressive, it was seeing mcmahan in the best high school performance by one athlete that could be possible, he vomitted between plays, threw the ball well, ran it well, tackled well, and punted well, and returned punts well, he ended the game on a stretcher with a separated shoulder which caused him to miss the next playoff game, but it was the best high school game that i have seen in my ten years of following the sport

Guest 4cubes

for me it was the win morristown west posted over maryville in 2001. maryville had not lost at home for several several games. of course we all know maryville handled west a defeat in the playoffs at their home place. a place where they two had not lost in 3 regulat seasons.

Watson Brown was a senior in '67, Mack in '68. Yes both of the Brown boys were super athletes that played in college & have established themselves are excellent college coaches. Jelly Watson was a great HS coach in the Cookeville, but both of Watson/Mack's parents were also super athletes. The dad played at Tenn Tech and their mother was an outstanding basketball player. As good as Watson/Mack were their younger brother never lived up to their greatness as a n athlete, but is a very successful businessman now.

Wonder why the Browns chose Vandy over say UT. Ask Doug Dickey...when Watson made his official visit to THE HILL, Dickey called him CURT (as in Curt Watson). Then when Dickey came to thier home, he told Watson that he owed it to the "state university" to play football there. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Mack followed him to Vandy only to transfer to FSU after his sophomore season. Many don't know that Watson was also a fine basketball player and was offered a contract to play pro baseball while at Vandy. If my memory serves me correct Cookeville finished the '67 season undefeated & ranked 2nd in the state behind MBA. Bucky Pitts was the head coach, and Wilbur Tucker's son, Kevin, was a receiver. For you guys, Coach Tucker was the head coach at Tenn Tech before Don Wade.

msgov,

That's an excellant review of Cookeville football history. Are you from Cookeville? The Tuckers were also a fine athletic family. In fact the younger son, David Tucker, played at MTSU and now coaches at FRA. He is a class guy.

Do you know where Bucky Pitts is today?

[Edited by scout on 7/25/02 8:33A]

Oak Ridge and Central have had several memorable games. Central was the only team to defeat Oak Ridge in both '75 and '76, denying Oak Ridge the chance to repeat as champs in '76.

Also, the two games from the '91 season were two of the best ever. These were the two best teams from that year, long-time rivals from the same district.

The playoff game was incredible. Although not for the state championship, it might as well have been (Oak Ridge dominated Gallatin 30-0 despite not playing great). The game was one in overtime when Central's extra point attempt was blocked.

An interesting note on this:

There is a sideline film of the game where Coach Helton debates going for two and the win. He actually tried to get a time out, but was unable to get his players attention before the snap on the extra point.

The regular season game is often overlooked, but was equally exciting and full of big plays.

By the way, nominating a Farragut vs. Bearden game that has never meant (and will never mean) anything is a joke. This is a football board, not soccer!

actually maryville lost at home in 2000 to alcoa so when mtw beat them in 2001 in had only won a few straight at home. i also remember the 1970 maryville loudon game. two 2A powers. they played at loudon and the redskins took a 21-7 halftime lead. maryville, behind qb tommy beaver, running backs bob hood, gary burchfield, steve mynatt and gary elrod slowly krept back into it and elrod dove over for the winning touchdown in the closing seconds for a 35-28 win. maryville went on to a 12-0 record and won the state championship game over cleveland 42-14 on that same loudon field.

Scout, Coach Pitts is retired & living in Alabama. Plays a ton of golf now. He in fact had a grandson that was a fine player for Maryville HS, 95, 96, 97. Made All-State & the Tn. all-star squad. Wound up going to APSU, I would assume because of speed (or lack of). Never could master the feeling that he was imortant at The Peay - coach treated everybody like

$!. Heard he will enter the teaching/coaching field in the near future.

My husband played against Watson/Mack in HS, but we are not from Cookeville. My husband knows Kevin Tucker quite well. All of my info came from my husband.

1989 PLAY-OFFS. MOORE COUNTY VS. MT PLEASANT. NEITHER TEAM ATTEMPED A PUNT. MOORE COUNTY WON 35-21. BOTH TEAMS WERE RUNNING TEAMS. MT. PLEASANT FUMBLED ONCE AND MOORE SCORED EVERY TIME IT GOT THE BALL EXCEPT WHEN THEY WERE RUNNING THE CLOCK OUT. I REALLY ENJOYED THE EFFORT BOTH TEAMS PUT FORTH THAT NIGHT. BOTH TEAMS COACHES WERE REFUSING TO LOOSE POSSESION OF THE BALL.