Best HS game ever?

Guest panther09

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cookeville vs. Crossville, 1967. Watson Brown at QB for Cookeville with his brother Mack (now head coach at Texas) at tailback running the run & shoot offense.

Crossville lead by UT All American Curt Watson at running back. Homecoming for Crossville. Final score- 13 to 7 Cookeville. Winning score was a late punt return by Mack Brown.

Guest panther09

The best game I've ever seen has been the '98 Trousdale and South Pitt matchup. It was also the best single-handed performace that I've ever seen. South Pitt jumped out to an early lead with Eddie Moore pouding the ball down Trousdale's throat. Then Thomas Payne, the jackets qb, put on a show. He ended up with 5 touchdowns, 4 rushing(each covering 50 yrds or more) and 1 off a kickoff return. He single-handedly won the game for Trousdale and put them in the Clinic Bowl. The Pirates put up a great fight and the game went back and forth untill the jackets won 42-32.

Posted by scout:

Cookeville vs. Crossville, 1967. Watson Brown at QB for Cookeville with his brother Mack (now head coach at Texas) at tailback running the run & shoot offense.

Crossville lead by UT All American Curt Watson at running back. Homecoming for Crossville. Final score- 13 to 7 Cookeville. Winning score was a late punt return by Mack Brown.

That was Watson Brown's junior year, wasn't it, and Mack was a sophomore. So I guess it was Curt Watson's senior season?

I would have to say the '75 Maryville vs. Loudon game is the best game. Loudon came into the game defending 4-A state champs and had a 20+ game winning streak. The game also pitted 2 legendary coaches, Ted Wilson of Maryville and Bert "Chig" Ratledge of Loudon. As for the game, Maryville broke Loudon's streak and won a 4 overtime thriller 13-10. By the way the 2 teams played again in the semi-finals of the double A playoffs and Loudon won in overtime 9-6. Loudon then went on to win their second straight 2-A title. Go Rebs.

Coacht,

If I remember correctly, Watson and Curt were the same age. I believe both were seniors. Mack was a year behind Watson.

The Brown brothers came from a great football family. Their grandfather was Coach Jelly Watson who was Cookeville's football coach for many years and their family ran the local sporting goods store. Watson was All American as a H/S senior and could really make that run & shoot offense hum. What most people do not know is that Watson had polio as a child and his left arm is about 1/2 the size of his normal sized right arm.

Both of the Brown boys went on to become good coaches and great citizens. They are excellant role models for H/S football players.

Posted by scout:

Coacht,

If I remember correctly, Watson and Curt were the same age. I believe both were seniors. Mack was a year behind Watson.

I played against Mack his senior year which I believe was 1969-70. Never got to play against Watson but did see him in a couple of his high school games, on game film.

Curt Watson and Watson Brown are the same age. My brother, Tony Sweeney, (Forrest High School, class of '68) played in the East-West all star game at Cookville (Tech) with Curt Watson in the summer of '68. Watson Brown was also chosen, but I believe he didn't play because of an injury.

The Forrest-FRA game in '98, (I think) that went into 6 OT's has to be one of the best games I've ever seen. Forrest won, by the way.