Retirement

TheGreatLineJudge

Guys,

It's been a long, fun ride. The first time I ever heard about CoachT, I was at Lewis County HS doing lines at the district tournament in October 2003. I sat in a corner on break and overheard one of the coaches talking about what the Page players had been "saying" on the site (back when Page dominated the world in A-AA!) My curiosity was in full force when I hopped on and discovered the message board you're reading now. I became moderator two months later and continue to be so to this day.

I started officiating when I was 18, fresh out of high school. Fall of my senior year was comprised of pretty much nothing but volleyball in the afternoons and evenings, when I did lines for the school team and sometimes went to practice. It was a non-TSSAA school at the time... the head coach who got me into our beloved sport is now head coach at a major AAA school in Middle Tennessee.

I entered the officiating fray and had what everyone else gets - middle school. I begged and pleaded to get into the state tournament that first year - fortunately, Marsha Goodwin "took a chance" on me to do line judging. My travels ended up bringing me to Murfreesboro five straight Octobers, always as a line judge. After a couple of years in the Columbia area, I switched to Nashville to coincide with college transfer (and better matches). There, I met up with several officials who I'd seen over the years and improved my knowledge and skill level in the game. Time, patience, and practice allowed me to soak up the game I love and pretty much live and breathe the game in the fall. I was a board member of the local association for four years and had the privilege of training so many new people to the game. In addition to the high school side, I worked most of Lipscomb's home matches over the last four years, becoming the only PAVO Certified Line Judge in the mid-state in 2005. That opened other doors - 2005 Sun Belt and 2005/2006 A-Sun, including the A-Sun championship finals both years.

Finally, and most importantly, I've had a lot of fun. The number of hours spent on the website chatting, debating, dissecting rules, etc. are countless. No telling how much time I've put on courts all over middle Tennessee line judging, working up, working down, scorekeeping. More so than all of that, I've been privileged to meet several of you and share time talking about all things volleyball and many things non-volleyball. So to the many of you I've met, eaten with, been yelled at by (COWBOYS UP!!), been liked and disliked by, called for, called against, been both hero and villain to (whether you know it was me or not), I thank you.

Thanks to both politics and that thing we call "life", my high school career is more or less over. I'll be seeing some of you on a club court and maybe collegiate court sometime soon, with any luck.

Play4keeps has done a fantastic job as moderator in the last year. She should be considered the primary moderator on this forum. "Team mom" will be taking good care of you.

I hope I've been half as good to volleyball as it has been to me. It's someone else's turn to be an ambassador to the sport. Thanks for the memories, ya'll. TGLJ

Wow!!! This poster has written numerous posts about subjects that I was passionate about and subjects that others have been passionate about. This post has so many special feelings in it, it is hard to explain. Being introduced to GLJ a few years back by Page, I was familiar and had great respect not only for what I had heard about him but what I had read of his posts. Factual, accurate, to the point is the man. That is the way he operates both on and off the floor. Yes, many times he called it like it was and this poster is sure it caused him some grief but even at that it was the same. If a controversial issue came up, his research and straight forward appproach was always there.

Ambassador, yes, in 2004 he was someone who could teach you the little things and those things which are gray areas that an official had to know. He has had as much to do with the teaching of the game to regular fans than anyone that has been on this site. He has been a technacrat of CoachT Volleyball. His visability up or down at matches has given not only the game a great deal of creditability but this site for he has been the fall back poster when things got tough, things had to be explained, traditions have had to be breeched and slight changes each year has had to be allowed "for the games sake". Yes, the integrity of the game, whether you agreed with him or not, has never been a question with his writings and also when you just have talked with him. Tennessee Volleyball is known about and for the information he provided especially when in 2004, it had a reputation of being a little stiff and not allowing some to enjoy the matches as they would like but he was there, to explain the history and why it was like it was and along with some Chattanooga Posters allowed a number of us to find a way to make things work and it worked.

He has always found a way to help Middle School programs when his prestige added to the drama and i can remember a MS tournament in the Boro that he took the time to be up and it added prestige and attendance to a great event.

Now this poster can go on and on about the judge, the linesman and the personality and the person and it is hoped the politics and life statement can be overcome at some later date. His attaining PAVO status and working the College games has been a great testament to his skills. Everyone loves people who are good at what they do and that work to make themselves better. That's the GREAT LINE JUDGE. At least keep on posting.

The GLJ, always passionate, always ture to himself, always my friend. Many hours we have share together discussing our mutal passion of volleyball, rules, etc. I refuse to say goodbye, but only see you later. How many times did Michael Jordan reitre? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This too shall pass.

I don't quite remember now when I first saw TGLJ calling lines, but I think posted back in 2003 or 2004 that "that guy is a great line judge" Whether that influenced his choice of his user name here, I don't know. Over the years since then I had many conversations with him and learned many of the finer points of the game and rules. I looked forward to seeing him on the court in the matches I have attended as I knew he would make the right call. He has now progressed to be a full-fledged official and he will be missed on the high school courts. Good luck in your future endeavors on the college courts, Tyler.

• 4 weeks later...

GLJ, I have been away from the site for awhile and was just catching up and saw this.............

All I can say is that I'm glad I got to meet you and thanks for everything you have done to promote Vball. Most of all thanks for many intersting conversations in person and on here. I appreciate everything you have done for me!

Good luck and take care in your future endeavors!

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• A lot of people don’t realize how valuable JMO was. QB, safety, punter and holder on pat’s. Kid did it all. I fully believe if he was healthy Dburg would have made it to the ship last year. 
    • If Dyersburg quarterback who is also starting safety hadn’t got hurt it would of another blowout 
    • For perspective the county school I’m associated and graduated from only has 7,600 people in the entire county with a median age of roughly 47. That’s not very many 14-18 year olds to choose from. I think the football team had 25-28 kids or around there.  On the other hand Shelby County has 916,000+ with a median age of 36. This isn’t just about Shelby county, but all the big ones with huge economic advantages!  An urban/rural split would benefit tons of smaller schools that have to compete with counties with 120x the amount of people. Especially the ones who can pick and choose their players from a pool like that!   I also agree with Pujo about charter and magnets and they will eventually be phased into the private divisions because it is obviously an advantage plus all the funding! Add that county schools can’t go recruit outside of their county like charters and magnets! 
    • They should be starting next week and go from there.  They never do Spring Practice in April