South Rebels--Starter Predictions-Anyone?

Some we know from last year --Davenport at QB, Fletch at RB, Beetle at OG, Blanken at C, Garvin at TE, KK at WR.

On D: Blanken at DE or Walk Down LB, Garvin at MLB, Phillips at MLB/OLB, Fletch at OLB, KK at Safety,

Columbo at Corner.

Fill in the blanks:; What do you think??

What about Watterson, Zanoni, Bedford, Gibby, Neeley, Riddle, Z.Irvin, Logue, McGlothlin, Conoway, Taylor,

There's a big Senior Lineman (can't think of his name), Williams, St.Clair

What about some of the sophs--are they ready?

Hayden, Cassell, Shanks, the Big Linebacker from Sullivan (name??)??

How about Special Teams? Seems like we have alot of talent that we could use there.

Kicker is solid, who will be punter??

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some we know from last year --Davenport at QB, Fletch at RB, Beetle at OG, Blanken at C, Garvin at TE, KK at WR.

On D: Blanken at DE or Walk Down LB, Garvin at MLB, Phillips at MLB/OLB, Fletch at OLB, KK at Safety,

Columbo at Corner.

Fill in the blanks:; What do you think??

What about Watterson, Zanoni, Bedford, Gibby, Neeley, Riddle, Z.Irvin, Logue, McGlothlin, Conoway, Taylor,

There's a big Senior Lineman (can't think of his name), Williams, St.Clair

What about some of the sophs--are they ready?

Hayden, Cassell, Shanks, the Big Linebacker from Sullivan (name??)??

How about Special Teams? Seems like we have alot of talent that we could use there.

Kicker is solid, who will be punter??

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I hear Shanks is being looked at for wideout. We all expected big things from Hayden however, it is my understanding that St. Clair has come into his own and as most know he is the Wall Street of QB's. He is the thinking man's QB. I hear his arm is developing nicely. It will be extremely difficult for a Soph to break into the '08 O. Too much Senior and Junior talent. I do hear there is room for Nick Solt as a starter if he gets his act together. The current main ofjective is to be in the same or better physical condition than '07 when we hit Memorial Field in August. Take no one for granted this year.

I hear Shanks is being looked at for wideout. We all expected big things from Hayden however, it is my understanding that St. Clair has come into his own and as most know he is the Wall Street of QB's. He is the thinking man's QB. I hear his arm is developing nicely. It will be extremely difficult for a Soph to break into the '08 O. Too much Senior and Junior talent. I do hear there is room for Nick Solt as a starter if he gets his act together. The current main ofjective is to be in the same or better physical condition than '07 when we hit Memorial Field in August. Take no one for granted this year.

Comp,you must have forgot the name Cassell he may not start but I would be willing to bet he will play more than any Soph on the team.Some of the players that I've talked with say that he should be starting over Bobby,,so Stacy says he's going to put the best on the field regardless of what the parents say so guess we will see if Stacy backs his talk,with that being said St. Clair has looked great at the 7/7 drills.Heath has a long ways to go.And for Bradley he has looked great hooking up with K.K. what a football team I believe it can be better than last years team if they will play as a team and not play I ball. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Hey i just started a Rebs @ SH thread and i needed to get some starter stuff so the ppl in JC can know what we're up against when you guys come to town in week 0. Can anybody hook me up with anything useful? Returning starters, young guys who might get some PT, and how did the Rebs spring go?

Don't forget about Moretz, the transfer. He will be a playmaker at safety and at WR.

I didn't make Core's list and as lists go it is incomplete. Yes, Moretz will be on the front lines. We do however, have enough WR's to rotate. No, that is not Stacy's style but with the stacked deck he has I see him playing 5-6 WR's. My comment about Shanks is merely dealing with Soph talent and the need to use it. As far as Cassell is concerned, I have not personally seen anything to warrant putting him in the mix with the current backfield contenders. i.e. Phillips, Bobbeye, and Taylor. As well, I hear he has a lot of "football" maturing to do. Now, does that mean I feel he is not up to par...No, it just means that I have not seen him under enough fire to make a solid judgement call of whether he is the premier RB he is purported to be and whether or not he needs to be on the front line right away. I will tell you that as a Frosh Fletcher was the scout back from day one of summer practice in '05. When asked for a scout back he muscled his way in front of Brad Shanks and a few other more upperclassmen including Chris Collins who by the way was potentially the best FB to enter South in years. Of course prmarily playing D and shoulder complications predominately kept him from the RB mix not Fletcher. And yes, that was after Frosh practice was over and then he would go to the varsity and finish practice as the scout back running against first team D.Which is why he was set to be the starting TB in '06...and then the broken foot. And Bobbeye followed in those foorsteps form by form. Now does that mean Bobbeye is the better back regarding Cassell. Of course not but with Stacy it is all about paying dues and Cassell must pay his. The whole Frosh year Fletcher did not set foot on the field during not so much as one game. Neither did Bobbeye. In his Frosh year Fletcher probably felt he should have been the starting TB as well did Bobbeye, and I'm sure Cassell is no different. Curt Phillips was a different story...end of story. That is no indication Cassell or any other Prima Donna is going to take a vetrans job just because he had a wonderful middle school and Frosh campaign. If we go by middle school and Frosh campaigns then Fletcher should have been drafted in the first round. Now I am not dogging Cassell. I am just saying that we have 3 wonderful RB's and they will fight for carries and yes, since Cassell is a Soph then it is open season for a starting job. I will concede that he has a shot but I will reiterate that character, respect, loyalty and humility are prerequisites to getting a carry at South. Which is exactly why Fletch' and Bobbeye had to pay extra dues. They thought they were superstars and Stacy had to put them on their knees and make them realize to be 1st you have to be last. I mean Fletchers Junior campaign is case in point. Now I hear we are going to run the ball. But I don't see that happening because Bradley is a long baller and we will throw the long ball because we have the WR's to break it open. So if I were Cassell I would strap it on and be convinced that I had something to prove because he is on the chopping block. And what better way to find out his worth. Now you want to compare this scenario to DB...no comparision...they had no RB's...period. They had to bring up Sensabaugh. To be quite honest, IMOP if Cassell wanted immediate playing time he should have stayed at DB because Sensabaugh is all they got. Now I'm glad he is ours now...and I want him to succeed, but he is not Curt Phillips so tell him to get to work.

That said, Cassell is fast. Bobbeye is slow. But there is more to it than that. Bobbeye has heart and that is everything. Rest assured, all eyes will be on Cassell and a tale will be told...and so...we shall see. He was an Indian and now he wants to be a Rebel...time will tell.

I didn't make Core's list and as lists go it is incomplete. Yes, Moretz will be on the front lines. We do however, have enough WR's to rotate. No, that is not Stacy's style but with the stacked deck he has I see him playing 5-6 WR's. My comment about Shanks is merely dealing with Soph talent and the need to use it. As far as Cassell is concerned, I have not personally seen anything to warrant putting him in the mix with the current backfield contenders. i.e. Phillips, Bobbeye, and Taylor. As well, I hear he has a lot of "football" maturing to do. Now, does that mean I feel he is not up to par...No, it just means that I have not seen him under enough fire to make a solid judgement call of whether he is the premier RB he is purported to be and whether or not he needs to be on the front line right away. I will tell you that as a Frosh Fletcher was the scout back from day one of summer practice in '05. When asked for a scout back he muscled his way in front of Brad Shanks and a few other more upperclassmen including Chris Collins who by the way was potentially the best FB to enter South in years. Of course prmarily playing D and shoulder complications predominately kept him from the RB mix not Fletcher. And yes, that was after Frosh practice was over and then he would go to the varsity and finish practice as the scout back running against first team D.Which is why he was set to be the starting TB in '06...and then the broken foot. And Bobbeye followed in those foorsteps form by form. Now does that mean Bobbeye is the better back regarding Cassell. Of course not but with Stacy it is all about paying dues and Cassell must pay his. The whole Frosh year Fletcher did not set foot on the field during not so much as one game. Neither did Bobbeye. In his Frosh year Fletcher probably felt he should have been the starting TB as well did Bobbeye, and I'm sure Cassell is no different. Curt Phillips was a different story...end of story. That is no indication Cassell or any other Prima Donna is going to take a vetrans job just because he had a wonderful middle school and Frosh campaign. If we go by middle school and Frosh campaigns then Fletcher should have been drafted in the first round. Now I am not dogging Cassell. I am just saying that we have 3 wonderful RB's and they will fight for carries and yes, since Cassell is a Soph then it is open season for a starting job. I will concede that he has a shot but I will reiterate that character, respect, loyalty and humility are prerequisites to getting a carry at South. Which is exactly why Fletch' and Bobbeye had to pay extra dues. They thought they were superstars and Stacy had to put them on their knees and make them realize to be 1st you have to be last. I mean Fletchers Junior campaign is case in point. Now I hear we are going to run the ball. But I don't see that happening because Bradley is a long baller and we will throw the long ball because we have the WR's to break it open. So if I were Cassell I would strap it on and be convinced that I had something to prove because he is on the chopping block. And what better way to find out his worth. Now you want to compare this scenario to DB...no comparision...they had no RB's...period. They had to bring up Sensabaugh. To be quite honest, IMOP if Cassell wanted immediate playing time he should have stayed at DB because Sensabaugh is all they got. Now I'm glad he is ours now...and I want him to succeed, but he is not Curt Phillips so tell him to get to work.

That said, Cassell is fast. Bobbeye is slow. But there is more to it than that. Bobbeye has heart and that is everything. Rest assured, all eyes will be on Cassell and a tale will be told...and so...we shall see. He was an Indian and now he wants to be a Rebel...time will tell.

I guess time will tell...and it might not be the results that all people want!!!!And you are right there is no Curt Phiilips on the field this year but we have a great TEAM!!!And (TEAM)is what its going to take.And I dont think it's right to be calling Cassell a Indian when he's a REBEL.I mean do you have to try out for 2yrs to be a Rebel or what...Duke will be a great player for us. GO REBELS!!!!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I guess time will tell...and it might not be the results that all people want!!!!And you are right there is no Curt Phiilips on the field this year but we have a great TEAM!!!And (TEAM)is what its going to take.And I dont think it's right to be calling Cassell a Indian when he's a REBEL.I mean do you have to try out for 2yrs to be a Rebel or what...Duke will be a great player for us. GO REBELS!!!!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Rebelred...what I am saying, and please don't misconstrue my meaning, is that after Fletchers Frosh year it was said he was transferring. So when he stayed Stacy treated him with this mentality...prove to me you want to be a Rebel. And he did. All will agree, it's not easy being a premier RB at South. It will be doubly hard for Cassell. Bobbeye is no slouch. Clint is a Mack truck and Fletcher is Fletcher. Granted, I have never...never seen Cassell play before spring drills. I was not overly impressed. BUT spring drills is never impressive for anyone...including Fletcher and for that matter Bradley. We couldn't throw, we couldn't catch, and the only person looking good running the ball was Bobbeye. It means nothing. By Science Hill we will know what the drill is. If Cassell turns out to be the front man or even a player then wonderful because that's how it works. I wish him the best. But I feel that coming to South from DB allows him expectations that might be unrealistic. We will see. You are the only person singing his praise on here. The DB people scoff at the notion that he is on par with Sensabaugh. I have only seen him (Sensabaugh) play basketball and I sense that roundball is his forte'. But then how would I know never seeing him play football. But he is an athlete and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. If Cassell is of that calibre'...then we do have another Curt Phillips and most definately it will stand out. If that is the case then he will be in the backfield. Otherwise, he must pay his dues. Natural selection with preference given to those that tow the line. There is no doubt that he will get field time. But start? I've got to see more. And one more thing...you are correct when you say it is a team. The '08 Rebels will be a team like no other Stacy has coached...including '05. It's a good time to be a Rebel.

Rebelred...what I am saying, and please don't misconstrue my meaning, is that after Fletchers Frosh year it was said he was transferring. So when he stayed Stacy treated him with this mentality...prove to me you want to be a Rebel. And he did. All will agree, it's not easy being a premier RB at South. It will be doubly hard for Cassell. Bobbeye is no slouch. Clint is a Mack truck and Fletcher is Fletcher. Granted, I have never...never seen Cassell play before spring drills. I was not overly impressed. BUT spring drills is never impressive for anyone...including Fletcher and for that matter Bradley. We couldn't throw, we couldn't catch, and the only person looking good running the ball was Bobbeye. It means nothing. By Science Hill we will know what the drill is. If Cassell turns out to be the front man or even a player then wonderful because that's how it works. I wish him the best. But I feel that coming to South from DB allows him expectations that might be unrealistic. We will see. You are the only person singing his praise on here. The DB people scoff at the notion that he is on par with Sensabaugh. I have only seen him (Sensabaugh) play basketball and I sense that roundball is his forte'. But then how would I know never seeing him play football. But he is an athlete and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. If Cassell is of that calibre'...then we do have another Curt Phillips and most definately it will stand out. If that is the case then he will be in the backfield. Otherwise, he must pay his dues. Natural selection with preference given to those that tow the line. There is no doubt that he will get field time. But start? I've got to see more. And one more thing...you are correct when you say it is a team. The '08 Rebels will be a team like no other Stacy has coached...including '05. It's a good time to be a Rebel.

Comp...are you saying just because Jordan came from DB Stacy's going to hold that against him and punish him for that.If thats the case maybe his parents need to send him back to DB !! I know the Cassell's well and they are great people and if they knew Jordan was being punished for that they would pull him from South in a heartbeat Jordan's a great kid and if he has to prove something just because he came from DB thats B.S... And if i'm right Jordan was the only rb to score in the Volunteer scrimmage Bobby got run down from behind twice that should have been td's on screen passes that Fletcher or Cassell would have taken to the house.With all that being said I believe you are right this will be the best South has ever put on the field. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

Comp...are you saying just because Jordan came from DB Stacy's going to hold that against him and punish him for that.If thats the case maybe his parents need to send him back to DB !! I know the Cassell's well and they are great people and if they knew Jordan was being punished for that they would pull him from South in a heartbeat Jordan's a great kid and if he has to prove something just because he came from DB thats B.S... And if i'm right Jordan was the only rb to score in the Volunteer scrimmage Bobby got run down from behind twice that should have been td's on screen passes that Fletcher or Cassell would have taken to the house.With all that being said I believe you are right this will be the best South has ever put on the field. GO REBELS!!!!!!!!

I can say with confidence that Stacey Carter will not hold anything against Jordan for being from DB. Graham Clark would not hold anything against a player from South either. They are both fine coaches that want to win and don't care what side of the tracks you are from. If you are a player, you will play. Jordan will do fine, he has 3 more years and many carries ahead of him. Taylor and Bobby will be a dynamic duo this year. You can never have enough good backs with the punishment they take. Go Rebs!!

Best team South has ever had? No chance. Does that mean you expect another State Semifinals run, or call yourself a State championship contender. South is gonna have all it wants in conference play.