Milan

theplayer

This is ridiculous. VG no need to bring the recruiting or "attracting kids" into the discussion. The stars past and present of Milan football are and were Milan's finest. No kid leaves Trenton or Humboldt to come to Milan and play football. These are two very intense rivalries. I've enjoyed all the stories about the great coach Tucker. And while he's not the polarizing figure Tucker was, I think someday we will tell some of the same stories about Coach Morris and his staff.

Ok..This is THE WAY I SEE IT....

If Tucker could get ANY kid he wanted out of Gibson County...Why did Humboldt go 14-0 and win the State Championship in 79?...Milan was undefeated in 77....AND NAME ME ONE GREAT PLAYER MILAN HAD WHO WAS FROM OUTSIDE GIBSON COUNTY?....I don't think Tucker had kids from Haywood, Hardeman, or Crockett County playing for him did he?...If I am wrong...NAME SOME NAMES.... Never said you said Tucker wasn't a great coach but THERE IS NO PUBLIC SCHOOL THAT CAN COMPETE WITH THESE "SO CALLED PRIVATES" for great players..."MONEY TALKS"...

And WHEN I SAY BA can get ANY KID THEY WANT.......heck, Bubba Miller was FROM FRANKLIN....The TUITION is HIGH at those schools...and you think that most "REALLY GOOD ATHLETES" have THAT KIND OF MONEY... WHAT DID BUBBA MILLER"S PARENTS DO FOR A LIVING?...I don't think they made ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY HIS WAY TO BA....I am sure "They have special SCHOLARSHIPS for those players dont' you think?....Or they might have a SPECIAL JOB for the father of one of the kids... Just like MUS or CHRISTIAN BROTHERS.THERE IS SOME KIND OF "FINANCIAL AID MADE AVAILABLE......and as far as Tucker RECRUITING....You had Trenton, Humboldt and Milan...Never HEARD of one kid going from Humboldt or Trenton to play for Tucker Don't say it didn't happen but Humboldt was a POWER for years..so if Tucker got to CHERRY PICK Gibson County then...why was Humboldt so good?......Like I said...I heard that on The Late Larry Smith...But someone from Milan corrected me on that today...HE WAS FROM MILAN...

Brentwood Academy has always had LOADS OF DIVISION ONE material...In 1981 for example..I think they had 9 .....Milan HAD ZERO....Jimmy Hockaday went to GEORGIA..... Years later...The Late "Tito Lee" from BA...Rest his soul...COULDN"T EVEN READ OR WRITE...Couldn't even get into MTSU...Richard Land...who was 6-8 and 290..( Another RICH KID WITH MONEY)LOLwho went to THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS ANS STARTED AT OT......said he never was hit harder in college or high school than by Tito Lee. and this poor kid killed himself because he couldn't get into COLLEGE...Couldn't even get into JUCO......And yet "he had the money to go to Brentwood Academy"...and hang in the halls with Johnny Cash's son....Yeah right...

Those schools..WILL GET A GREAT PLAYER IN SCHOOL.........One way or the other...they fix it where YOU CAN GET INTO SCHOOL...Your OUTRAGEOUS TUITION will be covered by some way or the other....Some sort of SCHOLLY....That Kurston Biggers kids they had up there about 10 years ago was from MURFREESBORO....

...IF YOU ARE GOOD THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO GET YOU IN SCHOOL...watch HOOP DREAMS sometimes....About the PRIVATE CATHOLIC school that Isiah Thomas went to...and how they "GAVE OUT SPECIAL Scholarships....To the INNER CITY KIDS....IF the KID DIDN"T PAN OUT BY HIS Sophmore year...Suddenly there was NO MONEY for him...If he was AA..Then his way was paid...

Same thing with these private schools..Oh, sure you have some PRETTY GOOD athletes that have money...But when you see alot of these INNER CITY KIDS going to a RICH PRIVATE SCHOOL...."I THINK THERE IS A LITTLE CHERRY PICKING GOING ON"...JMO.... "These so called privates.".or NON-Privates as they like to call themselves..... Give me a break...THEY GET WHO THEY WANT....A Public school RARELY can compete with them...

SRV - First off Franklin is about 5 miles from Brentwood. Stephen attending BA is not that far fetched, I would say that most (note, most) of the kids that play at BA are from Williamson County. To assume that any student attends BA on a "full ride" is false. Each child pays tuition. If you don't believe me call the school and ask them and they will give you an admission packet that gives you the policies and practices of admitting students into their schools.

Stephen attended BA in the 7th grade. Tito attended BA in the 7th grade. Richard attended BA in the 8th grade. Kurston attended BA in the 9th grade. So to insinuate that BA goes out looking for 6th graders or 7th graders that are great football players is ludicrous. I'm pretty sure that Carlton Flatt did not have a crystal ball that would tell him which 12 and 13 year olds would turn out to be outstanding high school football players. This may come to a shock to you, but Brentwood Academy's purpose is not to go out and get kids so that they can win football games. In fact, I would venture to say, that all of the DII schools are not about that. While being successful in athletics is important at these schools, they have higher purposes and greater priorities.

SRV please do not speak about people you have no knowledge of. Tito was one of the finest human beings that I have ever known. Yes, TITO COULD READ AND HE COULD WRITE. In fact, Tito probably worked harder in the classroom than he did on the football field. Please do not attempt to be sarcastic/funny or prove your unfounded claims and opinions by demeaning his achievements on the football field and making false assumptions on why he did or didn't go to certain colleges.

Coach Tucker and Coach Flatt are two of the greatest coaches to ever coach in Tennessee. Both Milan and Brentwood Academy have storied pasts and great tradition. Let's leave the speculation and hearsay of rumors out of the discussion. Good luck to Milan, they have an outstanding team, tradition and community. I hope that they play for a state championship and are successful in their pursuit of their 5th gold ball this year.

Stevie Ray, You are dead wrong in saying that Lipscomb recruits. To begin Since 1982 when Coach Glenn McCadams showed up the following players have gone D-1: Jonathan Shaub- Vanderbilt (His Dad went to Lipscomb and he came to Lipscomb in the 5th grade. Ethan Flatt- Olemiss (His dad was the president of the University so he was not brought in or recruited. Austin Rogers and Zach Rogers(committed to Tennessee) : Austin signed with Tennesse two years ago and both of them have been at Lipscomb since Kindergarten. Two players that could of gone D-1 were Justin Chunn and Sloan Burton but did not want to play in college. There have been a handful of players go to I-AA and D-2 schools and play as well as a few more walk on at D-1 schools. Sounds like they win with alot of D-1 talent NO. Coach Mac was John Tuckers assitant at Milan for 9 years. He was the defensive coordinator that lost all those games to Coach Flatt at BA. Coach Flatt and Coach Mac also faced off for years before reclassification. Lipscomb wins every year with discipline and execution. Most of the kids that start for Lipscomb are Seniors that have worked there way up the depth chart for three years. Also there is not work study programs or financial scholarships available at the school. No school toes the line harder then Lipscomb and Coach MAc. Glenn built the program at Lipscomb it took him 12 years to get to and win a state title. I cannot vouch for other private institutions but to throw Lipscomb in a recruting group is not fair or right or accurate based on facts not opinions or denials. I look forward to seeing Lipscomb march down the field again with great coaching and hard working kids. GO Stangs

I have NEVER heard a bad thing about Coach McCadams.. One of my really good friends from Milan talks to him regularly....And speaks of him in terms of REVERENCE and RESPECT....Yeah, I know Coach "Mac' was on Tucker's staff and coached at Trenton Peabody too if I remember....AND isn't McCadams closing in on Tucker's record?...I know he has MORE STATE TITLES....And those "Stangs" seemed to take a lot of pride in those Purple jerseys.... They ran what 6 plays against Dyersburg...But they ran them to perfection.....Yeah, I don't remember any D-1 prospects .....Except I remember Austin Rogers( don't think he played against Dyersburg)... ...and I know that Galilee from Memphis Mitchell says that they COULD NO NOTHING with ZACH ROGERS.... This conversation could go ON AND ON about the Private/public schools.....They do have a GREAT TEAM IT SEEMS YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT REGARDLESS OF CLASSIFICATION....

SRV - First off Franklin is about 5 miles from Brentwood. Stephen attending BA is not that far fetched, I would say that most (note, most) of the kids that play at BA are from Williamson County. To assume that any student attends BA on a "full ride" is false. Each child pays tuition. If you don't believe me call the school and ask them and they will give you an admission packet that gives you the policies and practices of admitting students into their schools.

Stephen attended BA in the 7th grade. Tito attended BA in the 7th grade. Richard attended BA in the 8th grade. Kurston attended BA in the 9th grade. So to insinuate that BA goes out looking for 6th graders or 7th graders that are great football players is ludicrous. I'm pretty sure that Carlton Flatt did not have a crystal ball that would tell him which 12 and 13 year olds would turn out to be outstanding high school football players. This may come to a shock to you, but Brentwood Academy's purpose is not to go out and get kids so that they can win football games. In fact, I would venture to say, that all of the DII schools are not about that. While being successful in athletics is important at these schools, they have higher purposes and greater priorities.

SRV please do not speak about people you have no knowledge of. Tito was one of the finest human beings that I have ever known. Yes, TITO COULD READ AND HE COULD WRITE. In fact, Tito probably worked harder in the classroom than he did on the football field. Please do not attempt to be sarcastic/funny or prove your unfounded claims and opinions by demeaning his achievements on the football field and making false assumptions on why he did or didn't go to certain colleges.

Coach Tucker and Coach Flatt are two of the greatest coaches to ever coach in Tennessee. Both Milan and Brentwood Academy have storied pasts and great tradition. Let's leave the speculation and hearsay of rumors out of the discussion. Good luck to Milan, they have an outstanding team, tradition and community. I hope that they play for a state championship and are successful in their pursuit of their 5th gold ball this year.

I am not making fun of the late Tito Lee......Heck of a football player.....I DID READ THE SPORTS ILLUSTRATED article on him...and WHEN HE COULDN"T GET INTO COLLEGE. For some reason he took his life... I kept the piece for a LONG TIME.....So let's leave it at that.. Good luck to Brentwood Academy....

Ok..This is THE WAY I SEE IT....

If Tucker could get ANY kid he wanted out of Gibson County...Why did Humboldt go 14-0 and win the State Championship in 79?...Milan was undefeated in 77....AND NAME ME ONE GREAT PLAYER MILAN HAD WHO WAS FROM OUTSIDE GIBSON COUNTY?....I don't think Tucker had kids from Haywood, Hardeman, or Crockett County playing for him did he?...If I am wrong...NAME SOME NAMES.... Never said you said Tucker wasn't a great coach but THERE IS NO PUBLIC SCHOOL THAT CAN COMPETE WITH THESE "SO CALLED PRIVATES" for great players..."MONEY TALKS"...

And WHEN I SAY BA can get ANY KID THEY WANT.......heck, Bubba Miller was FROM FRANKLIN....The TUITION is HIGH at those schools...and you think that most "REALLY GOOD ATHLETES" have THAT KIND OF MONEY... WHAT DID BUBBA MILLER"S PARENTS DO FOR A LIVING?...I don't think they made ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY HIS WAY TO BA....I am sure "They have special SCHOLARSHIPS for those players dont' you think?....Or they might have a SPECIAL JOB for the father of one of the kids... Just like MUS or CHRISTIAN BROTHERS.THERE IS SOME KIND OF "FINANCIAL AID MADE AVAILABLE......and as far as Tucker RECRUITING....You had Trenton, Humboldt and Milan...Never HEARD of one kid going from Humboldt or Trenton to play for Tucker Don't say it didn't happen but Humboldt was a POWER for years..so if Tucker got to CHERRY PICK Gibson County then...why was Humboldt so good?......Like I said...I heard that on The Late Larry Smith...But someone from Milan corrected me on that today...HE WAS FROM MILAN...

Brentwood Academy has always had LOADS OF DIVISION ONE material...In 1981 for example..I think they had 9 .....Milan HAD ZERO....Jimmy Hockaday went to GEORGIA..... Years later...The Late "Tito Lee" from BA...Rest his soul...COULDN"T EVEN READ OR WRITE...Couldn't even get into MTSU...Richard Land...who was 6-8 and 290..( Another RICH KID WITH MONEY)LOLwho went to THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS ANS STARTED AT OT......said he never was hit harder in college or high school than by Tito Lee. and this poor kid killed himself because he couldn't get into COLLEGE...Couldn't even get into JUCO......And yet "he had the money to go to Brentwood Academy"...and hang in the halls with Johnny Cash's son....Yeah right...

Those schools..WILL GET A GREAT PLAYER IN SCHOOL.........One way or the other...they fix it where YOU CAN GET INTO SCHOOL...Your OUTRAGEOUS TUITION will be covered by some way or the other....Some sort of SCHOLLY....That Kurston Biggers kids they had up there about 10 years ago was from MURFREESBORO....

...IF YOU ARE GOOD THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO GET YOU IN SCHOOL...watch HOOP DREAMS sometimes....About the PRIVATE CATHOLIC school that Isiah Thomas went to...and how they "GAVE OUT SPECIAL Scholarships....To the INNER CITY KIDS....IF the KID DIDN"T PAN OUT BY HIS Sophmore year...Suddenly there was NO MONEY for him...If he was AA..Then his way was paid...

Same thing with these private schools..Oh, sure you have some PRETTY GOOD athletes that have money...But when you see alot of these INNER CITY KIDS going to a RICH PRIVATE SCHOOL...."I THINK THERE IS A LITTLE CHERRY PICKING GOING ON"...JMO.... "These so called privates.".or NON-Privates as they like to call themselves..... Give me a break...THEY GET WHO THEY WANT....A Public school RARELY can compete with them...

I actually lived in nashville, and my mom sent me to BA as a way to get my life on the right track. i was getting in some trouble when i was younger, and she decided that it was worth her getting two part time jobs to be able to pay my tuition. i was a financial aid student, but she still paid $5,200 of the $6,500. as far as getting "dumb" kids into school, i would not have been challenged at a public school, since i worked hard enough to make great grades at BA and eventually graduate from UT in 3 years. i hope you feel good about bashing my best friend who is no longer with us. he could write well enough to write a terrific english paper about what being at BA meant to him. he touched more lives with his smile than his football talent ever could. God Bless!!

Sometimes in the heat of an argument....Things are said ....or Lines are crossed that SHOULD NOT BE CROSSED....And in my "discussion or argument of public/privates I CROSSED A MAJOR LINE when I brought up the subject of the death of Tito Lee....Without a doubt Tito Lee had people/classmates/family that loved him....It is apparent by the response of two former classmates/alumni who knew the young man...

All I know about Tito Lee is what I read/heard....I didn't know the young man personally ....And to say the things about a person who isn't here to defend himself is WRONG....

The things I said after much thought were WRONG of me...And to all Brentwood Academy Eagles past and present I APOLOGIZE for my remarks about Tito Lee... Saying "He couldn't read or write was wrong"....I know Tito had problems getting into college and that is all I know from what I have been told and what I read in Sports Illustrated

To Biggs47 and Mark86 I apologize for my UN-SENSITIVE remarks about the Late Tito Lee...

Suicide is a terrible thing and Tito apparently was a fine young man and an outstanding football player...

Again..PLEASE FORGIVE me for my crude remarks about Tito Lee....They were totally out of line...I meant NO HARM... That was a classless thing to do...I am sorry...

Sometimes in the heat of an argument....Things are said ....or Lines are crossed that SHOULD NOT BE CROSSED....And in my "discussion or argument of public/privates I CROSSED A MAJOR LINE when I brought up the subject of the death of Tito Lee....Without a doubt Tito Lee had people/classmates/family that loved him....It is apparent by the response of two former classmates/alumni who knew the young man...

All I know about Tito Lee is what I read/heard....I didn't know the young man personally ....And to say the things about a person who isn't here to defend himself is WRONG....

The things I said after much thought were WRONG of me...And to all Brentwood Academy Eagles past and present I APOLOGIZE for my remarks about Tito Lee... Saying "He couldn't read or write was wrong"....I know Tito had problems getting into college and that is all I know from what I have been told and what I read in Sports Illustrated....

To Biggs47 and Mark86 I apologize for my UN-SENSITIVE remarks about the Late Tito Lee...

Suicide is a terrible thing and Tito was a fine young man and an outstanding football player...

Again..PLEASE FORGIVE me for my crude remarks about Tito Lee....They were totally out of line...I meant NO HARM... That was a classless thing to do...I am sorry...

SRV

SRV,

there are no hard feelings at all. one of the main things BA instills in its students is forgiveness, and that is what makes that Christian environment so special. i love my school and what it stands for outside of football. i understand that it is hard to see this unless you have experienced it. there will always be shots taking at us because of our success on the field, but it is hard to hear about how football is all we care about. i accept your apology and i understand that coacht is for opinions, but we have to be careful about the effects of our comments about young kids. sometimes what we say, fact or not, will be taken as the truth. yes i did play at UT, and our concern should be directed to why BA, and schools like it, are exponentially harder academically than our state college. God Bless!!

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...13551/index.htm Thanks.. biggs 47 ( remember when you played at BA and when you went on to UT... Don't know if you care to read it but HERE is the Tito Lee story

thank you. i read that article all the time. not to keep this thing going, but to shed some light on his situation. his act/sat scores were adequate, but with the tough academics at BA his GPA was not high enough. what most people dont know, is that before our senior year, coach flatt tried to get Tito to go to franklin high school so that he could qualify. with his scores, he would had qualified if he had a 2.95 GPA. he refused to go because he loved BA that much. that is the type of man Flatt is. flatt was willing to get rid of the best player he ever had because it was the best thing for Tito. thats why i say that football is not the most important thing at BA. not to bash Franklin but he would have easily had the grades had he not been at BA. i am telling you this to help defend the false sense out there that he couldnt cut it. i wish you the best!!

• Like 1

Guest nwtnsports

matt86 said it best - Coach Tucker and Coach Flatt are two of the greatest coaches to ever coach in Tennessee. Both Milan and Brentwood Academy have storied pasts and great tradition.

Thanks to the Trojan fans who defended the Bulldogs.

But, let's get back to this year's Milan team. They will work the next two days, with classes starting tomorrow, then travel to scrimmage Mayfield on Friday.

thank you. i read that article all the time. not to keep this thing going, but to shed some light on his situation. his act/sat scores were adequate, but with the tough academics at BA his GPA was not high enough. what most people dont know, is that before our senior year, coach flatt tried to get Tito to go to franklin high school so that he could qualify. with his scores, he would had qualified if he had a 2.95 GPA. he refused to go because he loved BA that much. that is the type of man Flatt is. flatt was willing to get rid of the best player he ever had because it was the best thing for Tito. thats why i say that football is not the most important thing at BA. not to bash Franklin but he would have easily had the grades had he not been at BA. i am telling you this to help defend the false sense out there that he couldnt cut it. i wish you the best!!

Kurston, I couldn't add anything else. You've summed everything up perfectly.

People don't understand unless they've experienced what BA has to offer. It is a special place that cares so much more about the eternal value of each student that attends - so much more than what kind of athlete they are.