Milan

theplayer

I'm going to have to make my way to some of these Milan practices to see what they have going on this year, lol...Think about that one twice /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I'm just kidding but Milan should be loaded this year and I see them playing for a state championship in the 'boro and I'll be pulling for them to beat Alcoa!

how do you figure they will get to state? they didnt even beat us in the spring game. gilbert runs straight up and j.w williams got trucked and rocked by the upcoming junior quarterback

If Crockett Co. beat Milan in the spring then they are going to be much improved this season. I expect that to be the case anyway. P.A. Pratt will have the Cavs back in the playoffs this year after missing out last season (which was a season filled with off the field controversy).

yeah they will have a good season. possibly state. great backfield and a good quarterback who has improved tremendously with a heck of an arm and a quick defense.

If Crockett Co. beat Milan in the spring then they are going to be much improved this season. I expect that to be the case anyway. P.A. Pratt will have the Cavs back in the playoffs this year after missing out last season (which was a season filled with off the field controversy).

how do you figure they will get to state? they didnt even beat us in the spring game. gilbert runs straight up and j.w williams got trucked and rocked by the upcoming junior quarterback

I suppose Crockett will get their chance to stop Gilbert in 09'. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Guest nwtnsports

My congrats to Luke, as well. I thought the Bulldogs looked really good in the scrimmage today.

The region's coaches pick Milan to win 8AA this season and Murphy Fair has them in his preseason AA top five - a compliment to this team, coaching staff and program.

I have some memories of Coach Tucker as well.....I played for Union City back in the early 80's and my senior year we had to play Milan at home for the right to go to the playoffs..We were both 6-1 at the time and we were on a six-game win streak...It was our senior night and there had been predictions for rain all week for Friday night...Well,it didn't just rain,it came a monsoon...It started raining sometime in the early afternoon and by gametime the field had probably an inch of water(someplaces more)standing on the field...Cancelled our Senior Night activities and all,anyway...Our team had been hearing from our coach,Randy Barnes was in his second season as head coach at the time,how we better be tough because you could darn well bet Tucker's boys were and then he went on to tell us all the stories about how hard he worked his team...You know,the fumble drills in the sticker bushes and all that....So anyway,during the whole game anytime I would get a chance I would just kind of glance over at the Milan sideline to see if I could see this guy named Tucker...One play during the game I not only saw him I kind of met him...We had run a screen pass and my job as tackle was to act like I was pass blocking,count to three and pull out toward the sideline to set up a wall for our running-back,well I did that and got a dream shot on one of those little corners,decleated him and sent him into the sideline,right at the feet of John Tucker...The kid goes sliding thru the sideline in what looked like a tidal wave because of all the water and mud....Next thing I know is I feel this thing hitting me on the head and yelling and carrying on about what a great hit I just made..It was John Tucker hitting me on the head with that game program or whatever he had in his hand all the time....I couldn't believe it...So,we end up losing the game 14-0 and of course we are all crushed in the locker room afterward then walks in John Tucker,all 5ft 2 of him or however small in height he is..He tells us boys I just want to tell you how hard you played and how he thought the better team didn't win tonite...He probably did that alot,but it meant alot to me at the time...They went on to play in the playoffs and we went on to finish 9-2 with a Civitan Bowl win over Haywood County....

I've always had a healthy respect for what Tucker accomplished at Milan and still pull for them when they start their annual journey into the playoffs....

I was reading in the Gene Pearce book 'Field of Dreamers' about how Tucker felt about Carlton Flatt of Brentwood Acd..In the book Flatt is asked by a Jackson Sun reporter about what he thought about approaching Tucker's record of 332 wins..Flatt said "I got to compete against him and I always looked at him as someone who was way above me..It would be an honor to be considered with him.....Tucker's reply???..."It's comparing apples to oranges..I couldn't bring players in to play for me."....No question about where this man stands on issues...

I have some memories of Coach Tucker as well.....I played for Union City back in the early 80's and my senior year we had to play Milan at home for the right to go to the playoffs..We were both 6-1 at the time and we were on a six-game win streak...It was our senior night and there had been predictions for rain all week for Friday night...Well,it didn't just rain,it came a monsoon...It started raining sometime in the early afternoon and by gametime the field had probably an inch of water(someplaces more)standing on the field...Cancelled our Senior Night activities and all,anyway...Our team had been hearing from our coach,Randy Barnes was in his second season as head coach at the time,how we better be tough because you could darn well bet Tucker's boys were and then he went on to tell us all the stories about how hard he worked his team...You know,the fumble drills in the sticker bushes and all that....So anyway,during the whole game anytime I would get a chance I would just kind of glance over at the Milan sideline to see if I could see this guy named Tucker...One play during the game I not only saw him I kind of met him...We had run a screen pass and my job as tackle was to act like I was pass blocking,count to three and pull out toward the sideline to set up a wall for our running-back,well I did that and got a dream shot on one of those little corners,decleated him and sent him into the sideline,right at the feet of John Tucker...The kid goes sliding thru the sideline in what looked like a tidal wave because of all the water and mud....Next thing I know is I feel this thing hitting me on the head and yelling and carrying on about what a great hit I just made..It was John Tucker hitting me on the head with that game program or whatever he had in his hand all the time....I couldn't believe it...So,we end up losing the game 14-0 and of course we are all crushed in the locker room afterward then walks in John Tucker,all 5ft 2 of him or however small in height he is..He tells us boys I just want to tell you how hard you played and how he thought the better team didn't win tonite...He probably did that alot,but it meant alot to me at the time...They went on to play in the playoffs and we went on to finish 9-2 with a Civitan Bowl win over Haywood County....

I've always had a healthy respect for what Tucker accomplished at Milan and still pull for them when they start their annual journey into the playoffs....

I was reading in the Gene Pearce book 'Field of Dreamers' about how Tucker felt about Carlton Flatt of Brentwood Acd..In the book Flatt is asked by a Jackson Sun reporter about what he thought about approaching Tucker's record of 332 wins..Flatt said "I got to compete against him and I always looked at him as someone who was way above me..It would be an honor to be considered with him.....Tucker's reply???..."It's comparing apples to oranges..I couldn't bring players in to play for me."....No question about where this man stands on issues...

You should of heard the one where it was either the 77 or 78 team was preparing to play Lexington and NOBODY has seen Coach Tucker...Nobody on his team...Anyway they get on the bus to go...and HERE HE GETS ON THE BUS ALL 5" 3" or whatever he was dressed like BEAR BRYANT.....Oh, did it fire that bunch up....And some up the stories that were told to me...People wouldn't believe it...

Sorry, but I don`t buy it. I have great respect for Coach Tucker. No doubt he was one of the best coaches in Tennessee high school history. I respect Milan football for all they have accomplished through the years. I`m proud that they have represented West TN so well through out the years. But that doesn`t change the fact that for years Milan could get just about any kid they wanted in Gibson County. Lack of strict zoning made it possible for the Bulldogs to attract kids from outside the city of Milan zone. I`d love for someone to deny that (especially Stevie Ray). For Coach Tucker to proclaim he couldn`t "bring in players" is totally misleading.

I`m not trying to stir things up, but let`s keep things real.

Coach Tucker is one heck of a coach. He came to Gibson Co. of all places and won while he was at Gibson Co. despite the fact he told the kids they were sorry. In my brothers Senior year Coach Tucker led GC to the playoffs. I believe GC finished with a 7-4 or a 8-3 record and took GC into the playoffs to take on a gold cleated Melrose team. Despite us getting our brains beat out Coach Tucker proved that he could coach just by taking a team like GC, whom has struggled forever, and took them into the playoffs. Coach Tucker DEFINATELY never got any players into GC except the players that were at GC. He took a team with no winning tradition and turned them into winners in the years he was there. You also have to look at what he did at Humboldt. He did nothing at Humboldt but win, win, and win some more.

Sorry, but I don`t buy it. I have great respect for Coach Tucker. No doubt he was one of the best coaches in Tennessee high school history. I respect Milan football for all they have accomplished through the years. I`m proud that they have represented West TN so well through out the years. But that doesn`t change the fact that for years Milan could get just about any kid they wanted in Gibson County. Lack of strict zoning made it possible for the Bulldogs to attract kids from outside the city of Milan zone. I`d love for someone to deny that (especially Stevie Ray). For Coach Tucker to proclaim he couldn`t "bring in players" is totally misleading.

I`m not trying to stir things up, but let`s keep things real.

Let's call it like it is: Which would you rather have the pick of GIBSON COUNTY or Davidson County?...Heck all those schools RECRUIT...Brentwood Academy, Goodpasture, David Lipscomb, YOU CAN"T HAVE THAT MANY D-1 prospects in one area....ESPECIALLY THE RICH SECTION OF NASHVILLE....And yeah, I have heard Tucker had some kids that WEREN"T from Milan...The Late Larry Joe Smith who went to UT with Earnest Fields and John Fisher ( I believe he was in that class) was from CHESTER COUNTY....Don't know HOW TRUE it is...But I heard it...But you can't deny the man was a GREAT COACH.....Let's put it this way...Let Carlton Flatt have Milan's talent and let Tucker have Brentwood Academy's.....Don't think it would be close...