Memphis City Athletic Director Out

wtnoff

Well, it's very good that you clarify that for me. I cannot say that I support your argument, though, in very many ways, at least from a philosophical point of view. Perhaps you'll argue that the "real world" is different.

Our team's "half-dozen" supporters actually provide more than 85% of the money that funds the sports that I coach. In the school systems that surround me, those supporters often provide 100% of the money that funds those sports, including uniforms, supplies, transportation, entry fees, and other money associated with an athletic budget. (I am thinking specifically of several top-of-the-line programs with dozens of kids on the team.) I'm not opposed to to that, since we have loads more freedom to do exactly what we want to do in terms of travel and competitions than we would if I had to argue for every dime we spent. But let's be clear that football does not always fund us "minor" sports.

Athletic departments are not providing these sports with all of the money you suggest, at least not in this area. Individual boosters clubs are--and I'm not talking about those boosters associated with football. Most of us see very, very little money with any relation whatsoever to football or any other sport. I wouldn't mind having it--more money is always better! But it has not happened during my tenure as a coach.

Neither is the difference "night and day" if you are at a good school. At a good school the coaching staff is expected to do more than just coach--period.

You are perfectly correct...I'm talking the REALWORLD here!!!!

I see that this thread has gone astray. I rarely post on football threads, although they are always more interesting than everything else other than girls' soccer, but I had to in this case because of the argument above re: coaches, teaching, and (later) athletic budgets.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's very good that you clarify that for me. I cannot say that I support your argument, though, in very many ways, at least from a philosophical point of view. Perhaps you'll argue that the "real world" is different.

Our team's "half-dozen" supporters actually provide more than 85% of the money that funds the sports that I coach. In the school systems that surround me, those supporters often provide 100% of the money that funds those sports, including uniforms, supplies, transportation, entry fees, and other money associated with an athletic budget. (I am thinking specifically of several top-of-the-line programs with dozens of kids on the team.) I'm not opposed to to that, since we have loads more freedom to do exactly what we want to do in terms of travel and competitions than we would if I had to argue for every dime we spent. But let's be clear that football does not always fund us "minor" sports.

Athletic departments are not providing these sports with all of the money you suggest, at least not in this area. Individual boosters clubs are--and I'm not talking about those boosters associated with football. Most of us see very, very little money with any relation whatsoever to football or any other sport. I wouldn't mind having it--more money is always better! But it has not happened during my tenure as a coach.

Neither is the difference "night and day" if you are at a good school. At a good school the coaching staff is expected to do more than just coach--period.

I agree with you..He is expected to do more than coach..he is expected to WIN! See what happens if he doesn't yet excells in the classroom. That's why there is a TSSAA BULLETIN BOARD with dozens of jobs open each DEC. and JAN.

I see that this thread has gone astray. I rarely post on football threads, although they are always more interesting than everything else other than girls' soccer, but I had to in this case because of the argument above re: coaches, teaching, and (later) athletic budgets.

I going to try to make a few points in response to different posts. You left out Memphis East. They won a Championship in 4-A under Wayne Randall. Now the talent level in Memphis is outstanding the coaching in Memphis is lacking at best and inept at worst. Now understand there are some good coaches in Memphis. Sutton at Kingsbury is one that jumps out but for every Sutton there are five Weavers and DeBerrys. Now lets get back to Randall, who is white, dismissed by a black principal, replaced with a black coach without the experience and status as Randall. Wimberly may turn out to be a fine coach in the future but the verdict on him is still out. A great player doesn't always mean a great coach. So why replace a proven winner with a maybe. I don't think that question has ever been fully answered except by contradiction and flat out falsehoods. These are the questions that one must ask. Randall is just a representation of many such problems where race is a issue in hiring. Instead of hiring the best for the job it seems other factors are a priority. I know first hand of a case where a white experienced coach was passed over for a head position for a jv boys basketball coach with no football experience. I just believe the job any job should go to the best candidate for the position. Judge by performance and ones record. Leave the politics of race out of the hiring process. Would you hire someone to handle your lifes savings based ones skin color or the most qualified with the best track record. I wouldn't I work to hard for my pennies. As far as law suits I fear that's the only thing that will change the status quo. If someone feels wronged and nothing is being done to correct the issue or the issue is willingly ignored one must do what one must do. Hit the powers that be in the pocket book. That they understand. With the talent level in Memphis so high ask the question why do the majority of these schools preform so poorly over all. With a few exceptions. It's hard to win a Championship it takes a little luck but to field a consistant competative team takes leadership and quality coaching and that is where MCS is lacking.

Yeah, I'm really torn up about Wayne Weedon.

Can we please get back to football!

Maybe someone will walk into your office one day and tell you to "get out" with no explanation. Should that happen, and I hope it won't, how do you think you would feel? I'm ready for football too. I have 2 big scrimmages to handle before the Jamboree. I'm interested in how your region will shake down in your opinion.

Maybe someone will walk into your office one day and tell you to "get out" with no explanation. Should that happen, and I hope it won't, how do you think you would feel? I'm ready for football too. I have 2 big scrimmages to handle before the Jamboree. I'm interested in how your region will shake down in your opinion.

Bolivar has a scrimmage against Haywood on Friday. I'll know more about them after that. At this point, I think Region 6 3A is wide open.

BTW, I've been fired before, and given a crappy reason. It turned out to a be a blessing in disguise. I love my current position. More money and less stress. Sometimes your percieved setbacks become your breakthroughs.

Just and FYI......

Lastly, (and I promise this is my last post to this thread) NONE OF US really knows what is going on with Memphis City Schools or the Memphis political scene. All of the stuff on this thread is second-hand info and media-driven, personal opinions. There is nothing wrong with the discussion, but why on a high school football message board? There are plenty of other forums to discuss these topics with knowlegdeable people, of which I am not one.

WTNOFF,

How many Shelby County Schools besides Southwind(which will be a city school in the future) have black head coaches. I cant think of one, I maybe wrong. If not what is the diffrence between Shelby County, which has only 1 and Memphis which has some white head coaches.

WTNOFF,

How many Shelby County Schools besides Southwind(which will be a city school in the future) have black head coaches. I cant think of one, I maybe wrong. If not what is the diffrence between Shelby County, which has only 1 and Memphis which has some white head coaches.

Cedric Miller at Southwind is currently the only Black Head Football coach for any Shelby County School. He did a nice job in his tenure at Woodale and will make Southwind a real player in no time. (Did you see the number of kids that turned out for football last year?.... I estimate 80 plus.... very impressive!!)

I am one that wishes ethnicity would not be included in such a discussion. You are either a GOOD COACH or NOT. Regardless of Race.

I think that in the next few years you could see more Black head coaches in the Shelby County System.

Former Tiger RB Lenard Crutchfield was the head coach at Cordova up until a couple of years ago. He left Cordova to pursue a job in Mississippi.

There are several Black Assistant coaches that are more than qualified to become a head coach. (Glenn Rogers, Jr at MUS comes to mind).

Rogers makes more at MUS as an asst than he ever would as a head coach at a public school. Dont see him leaving.

As far as the Southwind coach...he may have a good coaching track record but he better be a little more careful thus year. Last year, he had four kids go to the emergency room for severe dehydration because he only allowed one 2 minute water break for over a 2 hour practice in 95 plus degree temps. Every other coach across the county was happy to hear that they had to start practicing post 6 pm because he could not give water breaks!

I can assure you that Rogers wouldn't be carried off the field in a playoff game by the police because he couldn't control himself in a "killing" by W.Sta. To compound matters the game was televised as the "Game of the Week". I 've know Rogers for a while and he conducts himself as a gentleman. I can think of no reason why he would not be an outstanding coach.

WTNOFF,

Galilee. It`s time we move on. Kids today don`t care what color their coach is. They just want someone that can coach. Let`s kill this notion that black kids need black role models so therefore we must hire black coaches and teachers. That just doesn`t hold water. What black kids need and what white kids need are "good role models" as well as good teachers/coaches. I saw what happened last Spring on the news at your former school and without a doubt there were NO good role models at your school that night. Whoever the adults were at that school function failed at being a role model that night.

I have no doubt that there are very qualified black coaches out there that have a hard time getting that head coach position. But at the same time there are also very qualified white coaches that are in the same boat.

As I read your post I wonder what your point is???? Do you think county schools should hire more blacks or do you think city schools should hire more whites? It seems that you think county schools should hire more blacks. Lets take a look at two of the most promising coaches from the city schools. Tim Thompson and Lynn Lang. Are these role models for your grandkids?

Another case in point is JCM. Four years ago Jim Hardegree resigned a very goo program. The local NAACP said it`s time we hired a black coach in Jackson. Frankly I had no problem with that because I felt there were some good black coaches out there (Thompson and Lang aside). Here`s my point...their mission was to hire a black coach "just because". Instead of trying to hire "the best coach" they`re mission was to hire a black coach. And that they did. They hired a really good Christian man with values who was a bottom tier assistant coach from Dyersburg. JCM was so bent on their mission to hire a black coach "because Jackson needed a black coach" that they never even bothered to call Dyersburg to get a recommendation. The result 4 years later was JCM won 1 game last year and was "mercy ruled" half their games.

Honestly...these kids don`t care what color their coach is. I wish more schools would take a look at black coaches, but at the same time at no point should a school purposely hire a teacher just because of color.

Kids recognize leaders. They recognize non leaders. I know you weren`t there at the Mitchell school dance last Spring, but I`d love to hear your opinion on the leaders that were there. Do we want role models that give in to young kids or do we want role models that stand up and demand civility?