High School vs Club formations

franklyspeakin

What common formations do you see played across the state ?... i.e. 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 1-4-4, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 ?

Does teams that have alot of club players use the same formation for high school games as club ?

I know these young ladies are still learning the game but when does a coach realize a particular formations isn't gelling with a team?

What common formations do you see played across the state ?... i.e. 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 1-4-4, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 ?

Does teams that have alot of club players use the same formation for high school games as club ?

I know these young ladies are still learning the game but when does a coach realize a particular formations isn't gelling with a team?

It depends on the coach (or more-so the knowledge of the coach). Sometimes is takes a while for a new formation to gel with the team. It is still early in the season, so my advice would be to be patient (although I don't know the details of the situation). A good coach works his formation based on the talent that he has. You shouldn't run a flat back four if you don't have speed for recovery, you shouldn't play 3 up top if they can't work well together, and so on. Most high schools across the state that I have seen run a 4-4-2 with a diamond back defense. It is the most simple and safest line up to run (and also very effective if run properly). A good coach will even change his line up during the flow of a single game to add or subract positions at need. Catholic did this very well last season for their guys' team.

Remember, that MOST times, the club teams have a little more overall talent in all positions than high school teams do. Not a knock on high school teams, just clubs get talent from several different high schools. So, clubs have the ability (or some do) to run a more complex line up than some high schools (right, MVM?)

If I were you, Frankly, I would give it a little time. If things still aren't clicking by the second or third scrimmage, politely ask the coach what their vision is on the line up. That way you aren't "questioning" their decision, just trying to understand it. You might find they have things in order, but are working on the finer points. Unfortunately, you also might find that they don't...

wait! you mean there are different formations in soccer? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'll throw my 2 cents ink, I feel soccer is so fluid that the formation that you play can sometimes be over analyzed. It is about the personality of the system you want to play. Dedicate people in the attack wide, do we pack it in on defence, for example. I do think the "system" has to fit the players, but you can tweak some of their strengths and hide their weaknesses by giving them "ques" to read in the game. The best teams are always organized in the back and attack, no matter what formation they play. Guess that doesn't help any. If it is a question of affectivness, I'd go G's route and just talk to the coach.

Heck, I know I self assess myself to make sure I am not getting stuck into a single mindset with formations or styles of play, or people in certain spots. It is what makes coaching soccer so challenging and enjoyable. We can't call time out, so we have to prepare more.

wait! you mean there are different formations in soccer? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I'll throw my 2 cents ink, I feel soccer is so fluid that the formation that you play can sometimes be over analyzed. It is about the personality of the system you want to play. Dedicate people in the attack wide, do we pack it in on defence, for example. I do think the "system" has to fit the players, but you can tweak some of their strengths and hide their weaknesses by giving them "ques" to read in the game. The best teams are always organized in the back and attack, no matter what formation they play. Guess that doesn't help any. If it is a question of affectivness, I'd go G's route and just talk to the coach.

Heck, I know I self assess myself to make sure I am not getting stuck into a single mindset with formations or styles of play, or people in certain spots. It is what makes coaching soccer so challenging and enjoyable. We can't call time out, so we have to prepare more.

I heard you were running a 9-1 next season and so I thought I would run a 1-9 and we would have some fun! (We could switch line ups at half!)

Paintball Palooza 2009 coming up, baby!!!

i think that it is unfair for any of us to judge what the coach has or has not done, and it is unfair to judge what the coach knows or doesn't. we all know that it depends greatly on the experience and talent of the players as well as the training. I would compliment a coach who is trying to train his/her players to play a zone in the back, especially if they have never played a zone. It may take the team most of the season if not years to play it correctly if never played before, not 2 or 3 games.

i think that it is unfair for any of us to judge what the coach has or has not done, and it is unfair to judge what the coach knows or doesn't. we all know that it depends greatly on the experience and talent of the players as well as the training. I would compliment a coach who is trying to train his/her players to play a zone in the back, especially if they have never played a zone. It may take the team most of the season if not years to play it correctly if never played before, not 2 or 3 games.

Note that I said that after 2 to 3 games to ask the coach's vision, not to give up on what he is trying. It takes a long time to implement a new offense or defense well, but I also think it is important to communicate to one's players and parents what one is trying to accomplish in the long run, even (or especially) if it isn't working in the short... BUT, there has to come a time when a coach realizes that something isn't going to work. Patience is so important in BOTH coaching AND the playing of this sport. Good communication between player and coach will build this patience. If the player sees what the coach is trying to do, and can grasp the future vision, it can become real.

It's a tough one. I have been on both sides of this one, as a coach and a player. Again, I would suggest patience, Frankly. (But I would suggest communication more-so).

I assumed that the coach had communicated what he was trying to do with the players, but I think that the question and replies were too quick to question the coach's motives and tactics, especially before the regular season has started, and more so if a parent is questioning his system. I still think that a coach who is teaching new ideas, such as a zonal defense to players who have only played man-to-man, is commendable. The players that he is training may be the coaches that take over the program in future years, and the more ideas that they are introduced to may help the program in the future.

It's a tough one. I have been on both sides of this one, as a coach and a player. Again, I would suggest patience, Frankly. (But I would suggest communication more-so).

You call all that cherry picking you use to do playing.

Ha Ha!! I think Cherry picking is too loose of a term... I prefer "defense intolerant".