Cookeville Scrimmage

boyfromsi

How did the Cats do over in Cookeville?

Scrimmage was against Blackman, Cookeville, Bearden, and Oak Ridge. As far as I am concerned this is the best and most well run scrimmage OR goes to every year. It is well organized and the kids get a lot of good work. Plus, they play on Tenn Tech Field which is great for kids too.

They started off with each team getting work on all phases of kicking game. Bearden stood out as their kickoff return team ran back their return all the way against Cookeville. They then had all four teams playing at the same time, two on each end of field. They ran goal line from the 10 yard line for a few series and then moved out to the 45 and worked toward opposite end zones. I did not keep track of the scores of any of the games, although I know some did. Maybe they can post with that info. To me, score at scrimmage does not matter as the coaches typically are trying kids in new positions and trying new plays plus they also put kids in not so good formations just to see how they react. But, I think in generall all the teams were fairly equal as far as scores go.

OR looked a lot more improved from the Maryville scrimmage, but still has work to do. Both QBs played well. I actually thought David Irby played better than I have ever seen him play. His first pass went for a TD and second went to the 2-3 yard line. Clark struggled initially and got better as scrimmage went on. I think we are in for another year of a two QB offense. Defense looked good too. A lot of good play by linebackers harter, Johnson, and Underwood. Front line look good too. Rogers was back on field from injury list and he definately adds to the offense. Several of their younger tailbacks looked good at times. Receivers were all good and held on to ball. Trent made a great catch in the end zone. He is a good add to the team!

As far as size goes, Blackman won hands down. They had some D-1 looking players. Don't know what they feed those boys, but they were big! They also had a very good tailback that kept their offense running.

If OR can keep improving each week like this, they will be ready to go in my opinion. The Kingsport game (third game I think) will be their first true measuring stick.

Scrimmage was against Blackman, Cookeville, Bearden, and Oak Ridge. As far as I am concerned this is the best and most well run scrimmage OR goes to every year. It is well organized and the kids get a lot of good work. Plus, they play on Tenn Tech Field which is great for kids too.

They started off with each team getting work on all phases of kicking game. Bearden stood out as their kickoff return team ran back their return all the way against Cookeville. They then had all four teams playing at the same time, two on each end of field. They ran goal line from the 10 yard line for a few series and then moved out to the 45 and worked toward opposite end zones. I did not keep track of the scores of any of the games, although I know some did. Maybe they can post with that info. To me, score at scrimmage does not matter as the coaches typically are trying kids in new positions and trying new plays plus they also put kids in not so good formations just to see how they react. But, I think in generall all the teams were fairly equal as far as scores go.

OR looked a lot more improved from the Maryville scrimmage, but still has work to do. Both QBs played well. I actually thought David Irby played better than I have ever seen him play. His first pass went for a TD and second went to the 2-3 yard line. Clark struggled initially and got better as scrimmage went on. I think we are in for another year of a two QB offense. Defense looked good too. A lot of good play by linebackers harter, Johnson, and Underwood. Front line look good too. Rogers was back on field from injury list and he definately adds to the offense. Several of their younger tailbacks looked good at times. Receivers were all good and held on to ball. Trent made a great catch in the end zone. He is a good add to the team!

As far as size goes, Blackman won hands down. They had some D-1 looking players. Don't know what they feed those boys, but they were big! They also had a very good tailback that kept their offense running.

If OR can keep improving each week like this, they will be ready to go in my opinion. The Kingsport game (third game I think) will be their first true measuring stick.

Any info on Blackman/Cookeville scrimmage?

Thanks

It was actually Cookeville's return team that took one back for a TD against Bearden instead of the other way around.

As for the scrimmages, from what I could see, all 4 teams looked very good and should do well this upcoming season. I agree that this is one of the best scrimmages, organizational wise, around. All 4 teams got work with their Freshmen, JV, and Varsity squads which should pay off in the long run.

Cookeville played OR's varsity first, Blackman's varsity next (after a few JV scrimmages), and ended with Bearden. I thought the Cavs did a good job of playing with all 3 teams. Against OR it was very even with the only points coming on an OR field goal that hit the cross bar and bounced over. The Blackman game was controlled by Cookeville who moved the ball well but could only come away with one score. The D held the Blaze intact until the last play when they scored on a long pass that ended the scrimmage tied at 7-7. To end the night Cookeville once again played well and I think won 14-6 after blocking Bearden's Extra Point Attempt on their only score.

As mentioned earlier in the posts, scores in these games don't really mean all that much when you consider coaches are trying to get a lot of looks from a lot of different people while also working on certain plays and situations. From a Cavs fan standpoint I thought the players played better as the games went along. I thought they settled down a bit played their style of football.

Once again, all 4 teams were very solid and I was proud that the Cavs could hang around. I wish all 4 teams the best of luck this season. Go Cavs!

Bearden didnt return one kick return on Cookeville..the start of the whole Kick Off game..CHS score first from a 89 or so Kick Return by Zach Salada (just wanted to clear that up)

Bearden is supposed to have a SOPH RB who is going to be a stud this year... did anyone see how he looked? He's undersized but quick, quick, quick.

and yes..there running back they had was Really Really Quick...thats how the scored on Cookeville...the first play i think from the 50 yrd line..he ran right up the middle and nobody touch him..