All sports gone in Cumberland county?

brumfield

If what i AM HEARING IS correct, Cumberland county School will not start until October. That is when the state will take over and they will operate on a basic buget. This means NO SPORTS, NO BAND, NO ARTS, NO CHEERLEADING, NO AP or HONORS COURSES!!! I other words if you plan on attending college, MOVE TODAY!!! I guess we will know more in the next meeting, but it sounds like the BOE is standing its ground and the County Commisssioners want pony up! So the children of Cumberland County LOSE! I have never seen such an under educated bunch of commissoners, how did they ever got elected is beyond me!! This may kill sports at the state level in Cumberland County. Both schools will have to pay out their contracts and that will mean thousands of dollars spent and never recaptured. Stone is only in its 3rd year and does not have the money in the first place. In 16th century Japan the county commission would have to fall on the sword because the have disgraced the community. In 17th century France the would meet up with MR. Gullitine. In the early19th century they would be tared, feathered and run out of town on a rail. In 21st century USA they are re-elected. There is something wrong with this picture!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what i AM HEARING IS correct, Cumberland county School will not start until October. That is when the state will take over and they will operate on a basic buget. This means NO SPORTS, NO BAND, NO ARTS, NO CHEERLEADING, NO AP or HONORS COURSES!!! I other words if you plan on attending college, MOVE TODAY!!! I guess we will know more in the next meeting, but it sounds like the BOE is standing its ground and the County Commisssioners want pony up! So the children of Cumberland County LOSE! I have never seen such an under educated bunch of commissoners, how did they ever got elected is beyond me!! This may kill sports at the state level in Cumberland County. Both schools will have to pay out their contracts and that will mean thousands of dollars spent and never recaptured. Stone is only in its 3rd year and does not have the money in the first place. In 16th century Japan the county commission would have to fall on the sword because the have disgraced the community. In 17th century France the would meet up with MR. Gullitine. In the early19th century they would be tared, feathered and run out of town on a rail. In 21st century USA they are re-elected. There is something wrong with this picture!!

if this happens that is a sad injustice to all students in cumberland county. maybe the tssaa will make all athletes eligible to transfer to another school without losing their eligibility.

This might be a blessing in disguise for these poor football teams. Just think about the low morale and the humiliation from your peers with loss after loss. At least Stone and Crossville won't have to worry about that. Go Oneida.

Wow what a statement. I have followed this situation since last week, and how unfortunate. Win or lose does not matter. I remember in elementary school, how I could not wait to represent my high school program. Yes sports comes second to academics. Sports in most towns, at the high school level, play a big part in the community unity.

I won't touch on the comment ask_me because I will assume you are a younger person and have not put a lot of thought into your statement.

I agree the students should be allowed to have a choice in this matter. I wonder how the "powers that be" in Cumberland County would feel when their personal jobs were taken away. Oh yeah, they would have the opportunity to find employement elsewhere!

I would love for someone to give me information on who I could contact to sound an out cry to represent the students at these schools.

They also need to consider the self esteem that sports give students. It also gives incentive to stay academically eligible and gives them something to do to keep them from having too much time on their hands. Remeber an active busy child stays out of trouble. I think in this circumstance that TSSAA should reevaluate their tranfer rules to specifically address this type of situation. I know that every program is different but it has been my experience that Football and Basketball can support all of the smaller sports our BOE had so supplement sports very little. I feel for your situation I can't imagine the stress this is causing your community. As for the contracts shouldn't the board of education and the County Commssion have to eat those if their actions cause the default? Does your BOE have to appove your sports contracts?

Extra-curricular activities within a community are important, what about the tax dollars it may bring (not much but some) by people buying gasoline, eating out at local restaurants, and other eateries at local stores? You may also view it this way that sports is considered an entertainment venue and it gives people something to do within the community. Without it, they are just going to go else where like Knoxville or Cookeville to be entertained. Do you guyz want to be remembered like a suitcase college where everyone leaves because the entertainment part is not there.

This is just an idea and might not even make a difference, but....

How about everyone on coacht banning together for the interest of these students and e-mail TSSAA in support of allowing the kids to transfer if the school system and county commissioners can't do the responsible thing. Also, if someone could get e-mail addresses and phone numbers of the commissioners and school board members and everyone on coacht contact them also, maybe, if done in the interest of the students, enough e-mails and phone calls along with the coverage in the media, might force them to come to an agreement.

Again, just an idea....

This might be a blessing in disguise for these poor football teams. Just think about the low morale and the humiliation from your peers with loss after loss. At least Stone and Crossville won't have to worry about that. Go Oneida.

You are an idiot to make a statement like that. You probably couldn't make either team. They need to get those kids back out there.