MTN. LAKES CONF.(Who will be on top?)

headhunter13

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I partly agree with what your saying but what league of play should THS and SS be in, because in the playoffs whoever makes it as far as Maryville always falls short, don't get wrong I'm not knocking either team. Look at Johnson County how far would they go if they played in the league that they should be in, the last three years 3rd has been there best and more than likely will not get any better than that. The same goes for alot of the teams in the MLC.

Tennessee High and South should be in this conference because they are legitimate 4A schools. Unicoi Co., Johnson Co., Elizabethton, and North aren't and it shows. North hasn't made the playoffs since they moved up to 4A. Unicoi Co. has only made the playoffs once since they moved up in 2001, resulting in a 41-0 loss to Mo West. Johnson Co. struggled for several years and even though they've made the playoffs for the past 3 years they haven't won a 4A playoff game yet. Elizabethton used to be a regular playoff contender, but has missed the playoffs the past two seasons and hasn't won a playoff game since 2004.

Johnson Co. has had some good teams the past three years, but they haven't been able to make it past the first round. In 2A or 3A they would have a shot to make it to the quarterfinals before facing Alcoa or Fulton.

It is a big accomplishment if a team from this region can make it to Maryville much less beat Maryville. Remember, for 5 years Regions 1 and 2 had a big roadblock at Morristown West. Teams had to worry about them before they even thought about playing Maryville. Also during those years, Mo West would regularly play Maryville in the regular season. Add a few teams from the Knoxville area and Mo' West was prepared for anything Tennessee High, South, or Greeneville could throw at them.

In short, the other teams should move down.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee High and South should be in this conference because they are legitimate 4A schools. Unicoi Co., Johnson Co., Elizabethton, and North aren't and it shows. North hasn't made the playoffs since they moved up to 4A. Unicoi Co. has only made the playoffs once since they moved up in 2001, resulting in a 41-0 loss to Mo West. Johnson Co. struggled for several years and even though they've made the playoffs for the past 3 years they haven't won a 4A playoff game yet. Elizabethton used to be a regular playoff contender, but has missed the playoffs the past two seasons and hasn't won a playoff game since 2004.

Johnson Co. has had some good teams the past three years, but they haven't been able to make it past the first round. In 2A or 3A they would have a shot to make it to the quarterfinals before facing Alcoa or Fulton.

It is a big accomplishment if a team from this region can make it to Maryville much less beat Maryville. Remember, for 5 years Regions 1 and 2 had a big roadblock at Morristown West. Teams had to worry about them before they even thought about playing Maryville. Also during those years, Mo West would regularly play Maryville in the regular season. Add a few teams from the Knoxville area and Mo' West was prepared for anything Tennessee High, South, or Greeneville could throw at them.

In short, the other teams should move down.

Leaving Tennessee High, South, Central, and East. Combine them with Daniel Boone and David Crockett from 4A Region 2, who technically should still be in the MLC anyway, and you still have the same problem. It's a moot point really; teams in somewhat rural areas usually get the shaft when it comes to conference competition, thus leading to a let down when the pressure is on late in the season. I have always said out of conference scheduling is your best option for playoff preparation. I commend Tennessee High on playing DB and Science Hill each year. I understand their rivalry with Virginia High is timeless, but, hypothetically speaking, imagine if they added a Greeneville, Morristown East, or Morristown West to their schedule, I believe it would benefit them tremendously. I also can commend South with Science Hill and Greeneville on the schedule. With there current team prowess, however, it seems keeping DB on the schedule might have been a better option than dropping the Indians and adding the Trailblazers. Either way, conference competitiveness or strong out of conference scheduling, it's all up to the TSSAA and local Athletic Directors, thus we should not expect anything to drastically change. It's all about logistics and the money, the excesses or lack there of.

Leaving Tennessee High, South, Central, and East. Combine them with Daniel Boone and David Crockett from 4A Region 2, who technically should still be in the MLC anyway, and you still have the same problem. It's a moot point really; teams in somewhat rural areas usually get the shaft when it comes to conference competition, thus leading to a let down when the pressure is on late in the season. I have always said out of conference scheduling is your best option for playoff preparation. I commend Tennessee High on playing DB and Science Hill each year. I understand their rivalry with Virginia High is timeless, but, hypothetically speaking, imagine if they added a Greeneville, Morristown East, or Morristown West to their schedule, I believe it would benefit them tremendously. I also can commend South with Science Hill and Greeneville on the schedule. With there current team prowess, however, it seems keeping DB on the schedule might have been a better option than dropping the Indians and adding the Trailblazers. Either way, conference competitiveness or strong out of conference scheduling, it's all up to the TSSAA and local Athletic Directors, thus we should not expect anything to drastically change. It's all about logistics and the money, the excesses or lack there of.

I agree, but with your proposal it creates two additional non-conference games which Tennessee could fill with a Morristown West or Greeneville. If they face one of the legitimately 3a schools, I'm more open to them facing Elizabethton or Greeneville because they are traditionally tough programs. If the Vikes were willing to travel over 2 hours to play Grundy and Graham, then they could consider facing a Knoxville team. Back then, however; gas was cheaper.

Speaking of out of conference games, who do you think the Vikes will pick up in 2009? They'll most likely have 4 non-conference opponents. Virginia High is a certainty. I'm thinking East and Elizabethton are the next two possibilities, but I have no idea who they will get for the fourth.

Guest longhorns51

I agree, but with your proposal it creates two additional non-conference games which Tennessee could fill with a Morristown West or Greeneville. If they face one of the legitimately 3a schools, I'm more open to them facing Elizabethton or Greeneville because they are traditionally tough programs. If the Vikes were willing to travel over 2 hours to play Grundy and Graham, then they could consider facing a Knoxville team. Back then, however; gas was cheaper.

Speaking of out of conference games, who do you think the Vikes will pick up in 2009? They'll most likely have 4 non-conference opponents. Virginia High is a certainty. I'm thinking East and Elizabethton are the next two possibilities, but I have no idea who they will get for the fourth.

Ive got a question for you. You say that THS traveled to play grundy and graham back in the day right? Then you say that they need to play in a stronger conf. Well I played at Tazewell HS and they are in the same conf with grundy and graham and they are 2A schools. So my question is if you believe that THS should play in a stronger conf dont you think they should play stronger non-conf teams? Or am i not reading your post right please explain. Thanx

Also i agree that THS should play in a stronger conf cause lets face it teams cannot compete with them year in and year out. Every now and then there is a team like South had the past 3 years who can compete and the team Johnson County has this year i believe can compete with them but we will find out on OCT 10th.

I think sevierville would be a good choice...or maybe pick up a knox halls or central or better yet 2 of the 3.

Ive got a question for you. You say that THS traveled to play grundy and graham back in the day right? Then you say that they need to play in a stronger conf. Well I played at Tazewell HS and they are in the same conf with grundy and graham and they are 2A schools. So my question is if you believe that THS should play in a stronger conf dont you think they should play stronger non-conf teams? Or am i not reading your post right please explain. Thanx

Also i agree that THS should play in a stronger conf cause lets face it teams cannot compete with them year in and year out. Every now and then there is a team like South had the past 3 years who can compete and the team Johnson County has this year i believe can compete with them but we will find out on OCT 10th.

I wasn't complaining about weak non-conference games. Tennessee currently plays DB and Science Hill for 2 of their 3 non-conference games. They are normally great tests for Tennessee and DB is usually the toughest opponent they play all year. I just used Graham and Grundy as examples for how far TN High has traveled in the past for non-conference games. Both are about 2 hours away from Bristol. Both Graham and Grundy are Division 3 AA teams so they would probably be 2A or small 3A teams in Tennessee. I don't want THS to play either of those teams. When they played in 1999 and and I think 2000, THS wasn't as good as they are now. Graham defeated THS the first year while Grundy defeated THS both times they played.

To answer your question, I believe THS should play strong non-conf teams next year, although it will be next to impossible to top Science Hill and DB unless the Vikings are willing to travel to Morristown or Knoxville. But, my point wasn't to say that the Vikings needed to go and play in a tougher conference because nobody can compete with them. It was that smaller teams (North, Unicoi) need to play where they belong.

It shouldn't be an issue next year since THS will be in the 5a/6a district (Big 7) and will also have room on the schedule to play strong non-conference opponents.