6-5A predicitions in TENNESSEAN - agree or disagree- your picks

overseascoach

True. But when you consider the weakness of the line the past three seasons, alot of had to do with being undersized. No disrespect to our guys the past few years because they did bring alot of intensity and grit every week, but when you have a 5'10 185 tackle facing a 6'3 245 DE, that end is going to break through more often than not. And yes, it still comes down to executing blocks and moving the pocket, and thats where some of this youth might hurt CHS off the bat. But as these big guys start getting some more experience and perfecting their skill, 2 years from now we may be talking about the CHS O-Line the way we are talking about BHS's this year.

very true and as they get more experienced they will get better THIS YEAR. if they work hard at it. which could pose some problems for teams they face later in the year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay yes they have size but i can pan down almost any roster and find big kids and size on the team, does all that size have talent and can they block should be the big question - look at ravenwood and Indy the last 2 teams to appera in the state championship game they were very undersized up front

That is true that a roster may have several very large individuals but that doesn't mean they are aggressive football players especially when talking about OL/DL.

Ravenwood's line was not undersized at all when they were runner-up in 06

Joe Thompson 6'5 275

Garrett Snoeyenbos 6'3 260

Luke Stansfield 6'4 275 ....just to name a few.

However Independence's was in 07....

Stephen Bilbo 5'10 190

Brett Johnson 6'1 195

Thomas Berry 6'0 215 .....just to name a few.

Well 2 1/2 years starting quarterback which is pretty close to 3 years for Nichols and 3 straight years playoff experience... last year going to quarterfinals. I am not so sure Scales at CHS has had any playoff experience. thats if we are talking specifics on experience. Your right though athleticism defiantely goes to Scales, but athleticism cant always produce wins without brains to use it. Oh last year at Hunter's Lane Nichols had, I cant remember exactly, but two or three rushing touchdowns each over 25 yards.

Look I am not the one to argue Scales is a good QB because he's not. And if Centennial had one that was worth anything he wouldn't play QB and would be moved to a different position. Nichols is by far the better QB. However Chaz has that athletic factor that no one in the region is close too. And for that, makes him a great football player, in particularly a great athlete on the field.

That is true that a roster may have several very large individuals but that doesn't mean they are aggressive football players especially when talking about OL/DL.

Ravenwood's line was not undersized at all when they were runner-up in 06

Joe Thompson 6'5 275

Garrett Snoeyenbos 6'3 260

Luke Stansfield 6'4 275 ....just to name a few.

However Independence's was in 07....

Stephen Bilbo 5'10 190

Brett Johnson 6'1 195

Thomas Berry 6'0 215 .....just to name a few.

Having a 6'2 220 pound bruising back in Scott Pettigrew doesn't hurt either.

True, it's funny when your RB outweighs all but one of your OL.

That's the thing though, when you have a back like Pettigrew who can run after hits and can fight for extra yardage, then sometimes people forget about the size advantage. I remember the CHS/IHS game last year it seemed like the CHS D was getting through to Smith and Heckman on every play.

tennessean- YES VERY VERY SAD that they spend so little on high school sport previews considering the loyal fan support that is rabid in middle tennessee this time of year -

Over the past five years I've come to the conclusion that the high school football writers at the Tennessean aren't the most energetic dudes around. If I were the sports editor of the Tennessean I would get those two knuckleheads out of the Tennessean break room and into the field. During two-a-days in August I would assign them to attend a different football practice each day. With two reporters each attending two practices a day for 10 days they could get a first hand look at 40 different teams in Middle Tennessee. Then they could attend scrimmages. I was at the Smyrna / MBA scrimmage as were a reporter and cameraman from the Nashville Fox Sports television affiliate. Why were we there? Because MBA won the the DII state championship last year going undefeated and Smyrna was the 5A champion. We could get a look at the 2008 versions of two of the top programs in the state going head to head. The Tennessean didn't publish anything. They do the bare minimum, just to get by each and every season on high school football while devoting entire pages each day to the Titans. I'd like to see just one article each day with some opinion as to how different high school teams are coming along and what the challenges are that their coaches are facing in building their teams.