Greenbrier Bobcats

sportsnutdad

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good are the Bobcats this year? They open against JPII, who they beat last year and then face the defending State 3A Champion Mustangs. How will they fare against these two opponents, and especially Lipscomb? Do they have a chance to knock-off the Mustangs?

-SND

I saw them scrimmage the first week of camp and I thought they were down in comparison with previous years. GB has a great Back though. It seemed like they didn't have the depth as much as usual. I'm thinking a 5 and 5 record.

How good are the Bobcats this year? They open against JPII, who they beat last year and then face the defending State 3A Champion Mustangs. How will they fare against these two opponents, and especially Lipscomb? Do they have a chance to knock-off the Mustangs?

-SND

Greenbrier has a shot to be really good this year. At the same time Greenbrier has the potential to be not so good this year. They are that "young" team that can do either or on a given night against anyone.

Greenbrier's first "BIG GAME" in my opinion is the week two road trip to DeKalb Co. They've got to win that game because the second half schedule for them in the region is tough. They have Station Camp in Week 6, Sycamore in Week 7, Pearl Cohn in Week 8, Macon Co. in Week 9, & White House in Week 10.

Pope John Paul II & David Lipscomb are games that they'll want to win no question about it however if Greenbrier wants to get out on the right foot then the game at ever improving DeKalb Co. will be their huge test.

I saw them scrimmage the first week of camp and I thought they were down in comparison with previous years. GB has a great Back though. It seemed like they didn't have the depth as much as usual. I'm thinking a 5 and 5 record.

Would the great Back happen to be #16 Zack Ziegler? (I would expect so.) Also how does the OL/DL look size, athleticism and experience wise?

-SND

Of course, he's talking about Z. However, don't overlook the others (Mason Head, Clint Ford, Treavor Thaxton, Connor Jones and my favorite, #15, Cody Elder - the boy just plays with a lot of heart). They have all been brought up in the Greenbrier tradition and will not back down from anyone. Most of 'em have seen what the other good ones have done before them and that should just motivate them more. Our coaches will, I'm sure, do a great job of getting them ready each week.

Our lines (both) are good, too, in my opinion. If they play like they're coached, they'll just get better as the year goes on...barring injury.

I was impressed at the Springfield scrimmage. And I'd say they're WAY better than 5-5. That's just average and they're better than that. Once again, our coaching staff tilts the scales, in my opinion. I just hope Coach Williams stays and keeps 'em all together at least till a certain bunch in Jr. Pro go through (yep, the li'l guys look forward to playing in Bobcat stadium on Friday nights, too). I've been here long enough to have seen a little of the 'tradition' and I kind of like it.

Go Cats! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Stays? Did you say "stays"? Am I out of the loop? I am already hoping Kelly stays after this year. I'd hate to think Kirk might go elsewhere. I already think he should coach until ummm...70? Or at least until I'm too old to get to the games anymore. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Stays? Did you say "stays"? Am I out of the loop? I am already hoping Kelly stays after this year. I'd hate to think Kirk might go elsewhere. I already think he should coach until ummm...70? Or at least until I'm too old to get to the games anymore. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yeah, I said 'stays,' because there was a rumor that he might retire 2 years ago. Obviously, it was only a 'rumor' and I'm glad. It's a tough job...coaching of any kind at a high level...and I hope he coaches as long as he wants. Kirk is a well-respected and humble good-guy, and he's assembled a top-notch staff. Most are passionate teachers of the game and they teach it the way I want my son to learn it. It's not easy playing for competent coaches sometimes because they expect 100% and they give 100%, win or lose. Selfishly, I hope they all stay around till, oh, say at least through the fall of 2014? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Where is he gonna go where he will get your type of support??? What is great about football around here. Coaches stay, programs flourish, community support.....

Good point, dandy. You didn't mention 'pride,' but then you guys invented BDP. Even though we've got it, GBP just don't have the same 'ring' to it.

Rumors in this town are a fun thing to hear... but thats all they are good for is a laugh. THere have only been three head coaches in the past 20 something years... I dont think its time to make it a fourth...

I dont doubt that the day that he leaves will come... but hey... LETS THINK POSITIVE HERE! He and the staff (both current and past) have done wonders for this program...and it can only go UP!

TO THE VERY TOP! NO ELEVATORS! (wow... I have been around this too long...)

BUT... we have a bigger question... How will the Cats fare this season?

Crusing around the boards... there are quite a few bold statements on the way the region will go... and Im confident in the boys abilites... another playoff season I say...

Quoting my self from the 4-3A post:

I love to hear how the Bobcats are always "young" and "rebuilding" and "down" (NOT ANYONES DIRECT QUOTES!) and all that jazz... it really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to think of that when we prove people wrong... only then do they start to talk good things...

While they may be young, they are experienced...yeah, we lost some seniors...BUT WHO DIDNT? Just give em a chance. We looked great agains Springfield (IMOPO)...(also, Im not so sure what SF had to offer) they looked like something I havent seen in a while... a solid team.

...I love Greenbrier just as much as anyone does... and I have seen the best and the worst in my 20 years of life... As much as I would like to say we would win the region one more time before the shake up...I dont see us finishing better than 4th or (hopefully not) 5th...but... we are just as good as we want to be...

but... Its just another season to come... this has been my favorite region to play in and watch since we joined way back when...

prepare to shock the masses I guess...but its one game at a time...and it starts tonight....

Four and a half hours to go... I can see the flags waving from my vantage point already!

Last years PJP game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time... and I expect nothing less tonight. YOU GOTTA LOVE THAT WEEK ZERO!

Go GREEN!

Rumors in this town are a fun thing to hear... but thats all they are good for is a laugh. THere have only been three head coaches in the past 20 something years... I dont think its time to make it a fourth...

I dont doubt that the day that he leaves will come... but hey... LETS THINK POSITIVE HERE! He and the staff (both current and past) have done wonders for this program...and it can only go UP!

TO THE VERY TOP! NO ELEVATORS! (wow... I have been around this too long...)

BUT... we have a bigger question... How will the Cats fare this season?

Crusing around the boards... there are quite a few bold statements on the way the region will go... and Im confident in the boys abilites... another playoff season I say...

Quoting my self from the 4-3A post:

I love to hear how the Bobcats are always "young" and "rebuilding" and "down" (NOT ANYONES DIRECT QUOTES!) and all that jazz... it really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to think of that when we prove people wrong... only then do they start to talk good things...

While they may be young, they are experienced...yeah, we lost some seniors...BUT WHO DIDNT? Just give em a chance. We looked great agains Springfield (IMOPO)...(also, Im not so sure what SF had to offer) they looked like something I havent seen in a while... a solid team.

...I love Greenbrier just as much as anyone does... and I have seen the best and the worst in my 20 years of life... As much as I would like to say we would win the region one more time before the shake up...I dont see us finishing better than 4th or (hopefully not) 5th...but... we are just as good as we want to be...

but... Its just another season to come... this has been my favorite region to play in and watch since we joined way back when...

prepare to shock the masses I guess...but its one game at a time...and it starts tonight....

Four and a half hours to go... I can see the flags waving from my vantage point already!

Last years PJP game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time... and I expect nothing less tonight. YOU GOTTA LOVE THAT WEEK ZERO!

Go GREEN!

We lost a coach after 2006 that made a BIG /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> difference already. There's enough player change year to year. I hope the coaching staff remains for a few year anyway.

GO CATS...Good Luck tonight!!! Make it count!

Good luck to the Bobcats from an old Red Devil. I think this will be a good year for Greenbrier Football!

Greenbrier came from behind tonight to beat PJPII 20-17!! A last minute nail-biter....again.

Great job guys!! Brandon Teel....you're the man! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />