Week 2 Big games in Memphis

kwc

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an outstanding game, very exciting. I have no voice left. MUS just clicked...and to think they played without their two leading receivers. Go Owls!

....without their 2 receivers?

Are you kidding me!?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1) I knew that 1 of their Receivers was out with a Collar Bone injury; what's the deal with the other?

2) When are the receivers expected to return?

OK, it's week 2 and these are the big games going on this week in Memphis in my opinion.

MUS vs Olive Branch:

There is actually a thread about this very game already. It doesn't have any significant regional impact but boy is this a doozy of a game. Olive Branch went to Florida and pulled off a comback of the ages in a high scoring affair last week to a perenial powerhouse. MUS has bested Melrose and Kingsbury (squeeked by one and buried the other) Although OB is in MS, it is an area school that has received City of Memphis transfers recently (just ask CBHS where their star RB went). Personally, I'm pulling for MUS to whoop up on some OB behind ... but I'm smart enough to know that this is anybody's game. Since I'm not a betting man, I have nothing to lose, so i'm going to be a homer.

Pick: MUS

[/size][/color]I am going to leave the prognostications to you from now on. I was off on just about every game.

MUS 29 OLIVE BRANCH 22

Whitehaven vs White Station:

Man ... the stadium at Whitehaven has been packed to the hilt two week ends in a row. First ... the Whitehaven Classic was elbow to elbow. Then the Fairley game was so packed ... it took me 15 minutes to get in. I didn't get there till half time and stood at the front gate for at least 8 minutes NOT moving. I finally had to walk all the way around to the west gate to get in. When I initially arrived ... there were 10 minutes left on the half time clock ... when I finally got inside ... there were eight minutes remaining on the third quarter clock! WHEW! This game will be packed as well. Now onto the game. Whitehaven has won 2 games against some pretty good competition. Mitchel and Fairley. White Station lost it's only game of the season, but they played against some good competition as well in CBHS in a competative game. This is a home game for Whitehaven and a region game with the fact that this is a new coaching staff @ WSHS. You already know who I am picking. Region 8-5A is soooo tough, every region game is a big game.

Pick: Whitehaven

Whitehaven won a tough one 17-0

Germantown vs Collierville

Germantown has beat Arlington 33-0 and Bartlett 34-15. Collierville crushed Central 47-0. There isn't too much to gather from those games to say that either is more dominant then the other. Arlington and Central aren't going to test anybody ... and from the looks of it, neither is Bartlett. The game is at Germantown so that is an edge in Germantown's favor. Last year, Germantown wasn't the Germantown of old ... but they came out of the blocks rolling this year. I think they try to get back to their winning ways. This is another HUGE 8-5A region game.

Pick: Germantown

Germantown wins 20 to 10.

Kirby vs Woodale

I know some of you may think I'm crazy, but I am keeping my eye on Kirby. They are 2-0 beating Raleigh-Egypt and Haywood. I'm keeping my eye on them because their head coach is Chester Flowers, the same Chester Flowers who coached Melrose to their last appearance in the championship game the year after coach ingram left. I don't know if Kirby becomes a contender in 8-5A this season ... but I do think he makes them more competative then what they were before. This is a region 8-5A game, and every region game is importatnt. Woodale hasn't looked too good losing to a good Memphis East team that played Maplewood pretty close.

Pick: Kirby

Kirby wins 22 to 6. Wow, the post Cedric Miller days haven't been good to the Woodale Cardinals.

Fairley vs Memphis East

Speaking of East ... they play a big region game against Fairley. I saw Fairley play this past Friday against Whitehaven ... they are loaded. This game will be a really big region 8-4A game. Until last week, I thought the contenders in 8-4A were Melrose, Fairley and Kingsbury with the verdict out on East. Now ... I think the contenders are Melrose, Fairley and East. Kingsbury has probably lost Gabriel Hunter for the season ... and that has severly reduced them from the equation. This is a HUGE region game for Failey and East.

Pick: Fairley

East with the upset here. I stand corrected. You were right about the improvement with East. Big Win for that staff. East 30 Fairley 28

Feel free to comment or add a game or two that you think will be big.