News from Wilson County....

Football Man

Due to budgets cuts Wilson County is cutting all coaches pay as of Sept. 15th. No band, football, volleyball, basketball etc.. coaches. It's is sad for these kids in this county. They deserve better. Second richest county in the state and we can't find money for coaches??? Sports are the best teacher of life skills in any school system. Some of these kids have a chance to play at the next level. Now they will be left at in the cold. It's in todays Lebanon Democrat, not sure what the site would be. Check it out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad thing is that the future of our students has become a pawn in a political show down. The kids do deserve better. The time and effort they out in will be flushed down the drain if this happens. However, they can't cut teacher positions either.

I think the spending needs to be evaluated from the ground up. One of the issues is funding a new Lebanon High School. They do need a new school. But, to offer 1.5 million on a school design when the county already owns the plans for the new MJHS and WCHS makes absolutely no sense. The schools in Rutherford County all mirror one another, why does the county need to blow over 1 million dollars just so they can be different.

I doubt this happens and if it does, I am sure that many coaches will continue to coach this season. It is ashame that this could happen, Football molds more young men than any other individual activity or class in America. It is a source of structure, commitment, resposibilty, and family. Whomever is responsible for suggesting the answer was to cut coaches pay should have no decision making authority with our youth whether it is education or athletics. The person who suggested this as an answer is a bonefied dumbass

I personally was very good at math, but I never had a math teacher influence my life like my football coaches.

I am a man of strong values, great work ethic, and a dependable employee not because of math, english, or science classes but because of sports in my youth and family.

I doubt this happens and if it does, I am sure that many coaches will continue to coach this season. It is ashame that this could happen, Football molds more young men than any other individual activity or class in America. It is a source of structure, commitment, resposibilty, and family. Whomever is responsible for suggesting the answer was to cut coaches pay should have no decision making authority with our youth whether it is education or athletics. The person who suggested this as an answer is a bonefied dumbass

I personally was very good at math, but I never had a math teacher influence my life like my football coaches.

I am a man of strong values, great work ethic, and a dependable employee not because of math, english, or science classes but because of sports in my youth and family.

very well put

Did Wilson County leadership come from Cumberland County? I know this is not really funny. But, what is going on here? Is this something we can expect to happen to other school systems?

not sure...but new director of schools is from East Tennessee

I am under the impression that the coaches will be locked out as well

Due to budgets cuts Wilson County is cutting all coaches pay as of Sept. 15th. No band, football, volleyball, basketball etc.. coaches. It's is sad for these kids in this county. They deserve better. Second richest county in the state and we can't find money for coaches??? Sports are the best teacher of life skills in any school system. Some of these kids have a chance to play at the next level. Now they will be left at in the cold. It's in todays Lebanon Democrat, not sure what the site would be. Check it out.

I'm not making light of the situation but WHEN did Wilson Co. become the second richest county in the state?

I'm not making light of the situation but WHEN did Wilson Co. become the second richest county in the state?

Scroll down to page 38 in this PDF file: http://tennessee.gov/tacir/PDF_FILES/Educa...%20Capacity.pdf

Wilson is 15th in local revenue - compare that to Rutherford's 7th in local revenue.

Where do they rank in spending per student?

http://www.borowatch.com/ada_stats_06_07.html

Rutherford County is 114th (not a typo, 114th) and Wilson is 123rd (that is 1-2-3-r-d) out of 137 school systems in the state.

Sad...

i hope if they are really putting this into effect that all region 4 teams set out buckets at their games to help give the coaches of lebanon and wilson central something to continue through the rest of the year...probably will be ALOT less than their regular salary but nobody wants their season to end like that. would put 2 forfeit wins on a few teams schedules and i think they would rather play to determine the results.

of course their are bigger causes to put a donation bucket out like the hurricane gustav, but i just hope something can be done to prevent this. im sure both schools boosters are already working towards that.