Soddy Daisy vs. Rhea County

Im a nother old timer trying to figure this computer stuff out too, so be patient with me.

I predict that SD quarter back will be wishin he sat this one out when he wakes up on Saturday mornin after JON FINCH and the rest of that RC defense gets uh hold of him. I'm lookin' forward to seein' the boys get after it on Friday night. I agree with supereagle, hopefully they play better than they are coached. That coachin last week was nothin short of pitiful. It seems to just be gettin worse n worse every year. Everyone in the whole county knows it's a joke.

anyways...I predict it'll be a good game to watch. Hopefully the right team wins! Go EAGLES.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a nother old timer trying to figure this computer stuff out too, so be patient with me.

I predict that SD quarter back will be wishin he sat this one out when he wakes up on Saturday mornin after JON FINCH and the rest of that RC defense gets uh hold of him. I'm lookin' forward to seein' the boys get after it on Friday night. I agree with supereagle, hopefully they play better than they are coached. That coachin last week was nothin short of pitiful. It seems to just be gettin worse n worse every year. Everyone in the whole county knows it's a joke.

anyways...I predict it'll be a good game to watch. Hopefully the right team wins! Go EAGLES.

Old timers huh I'm the oldest timer around here. When I started following football it was at Rhea high in dayton. Everybody is trying to throw out facts I've got some that might surprise you. Supereagle and revive horton you guys are no different than any other football fans throughout the years. The only difference is you can get on the computer in this day and time and blast the coaches. Here are the facts. A group of people didn't like butch so they ran him out of town. Think he won 7 or 8 games his last year. When they hired coach horton there was a large group that didn't like him from the beginning. Fact after the 1984 year there was a big push to fire him after he went 4-6 in 1983 and 1-9 in 1984. If you don't think that is true check it out. also in 1991 there was a group who pushed to have him fired. At this time he was going to take a job at science hill because he was tired of it. Also in the 80's bill almost took the Bradley County job because of some factions in this county. I like what some of you say about I pay my money so I can say what I want. That is exactly how coach horton saw it as well. His wife use to get upset because of what people said about him in the stands. But ole coach said they pay to get in they can say what they want. Facts brad payne was run out of town. Then came the college coach from SMU in year record of 6-5 he's gone. Coach fitzgerald came in and won a region Championship and went to the quarterfinals twice. That wasn't good enough for some people so Hammontree comes back. He had won a State Championship @ Maryville after seasons of 6-5 and 5-6 and some off field issues he's gone. Do you see a pattern so now coach fitzgerald is back. Is he the greatest hs football coach no!!! But does he bleed green and gold and care about those players I think he does. Believe me we have won some games we shouldn't have and vice versa.

You guys that want to talk football lets do it!!!! You guys who want to critisize go ahead it has been that way since football began and will continue as long as this great game continues. If you want to talk to me come on over to the visitors side and pull out the lawn chair with me.Beat SD!!!

Old timers huh I'm the oldest timer around here. When I started following football it was at Rhea high in dayton. Everybody is trying to throw out facts I've got some that might surprise you. Supereagle and revive horton you guys are no different than any other football fans throughout the years. The only difference is you can get on the computer in this day and time and blast the coaches. Here are the facts. A group of people didn't like butch so they ran him out of town. Think he won 7 or 8 games his last year. When they hired coach horton there was a large group that didn't like him from the beginning. Fact after the 1984 year there was a big push to fire him after he went 4-6 in 1983 and 1-9 in 1984. If you don't think that is true check it out. also in 1991 there was a group who pushed to have him fired. At this time he was going to take a job at science hill because he was tired of it. Also in the 80's bill almost took the Bradley County job because of some factions in this county. I like what some of you say about I pay my money so I can say what I want. That is exactly how coach horton saw it as well. His wife use to get upset because of what people said about him in the stands. But ole coach said they pay to get in they can say what they want. Facts brad payne was run out of town. Then came the college coach from SMU in year record of 6-5 he's gone. Coach fitzgerald came in and won a region Championship and went to the quarterfinals twice. That wasn't good enough for some people so Hammontree comes back. He had won a State Championship @ Maryville after seasons of 6-5 and 5-6 and some off field issues he's gone. Do you see a pattern so now coach fitzgerald is back. Is he the greatest hs football coach no!!! But does he bleed green and gold and care about those players I think he does. Believe me we have won some games we shouldn't have and vice versa.

You guys that want to talk football lets do it!!!! You guys who want to critisize go ahead it has been that way since football began and will continue as long as this great game continues. If you want to talk to me come on over to the visitors side and pull out the lawn chair with me.Beat SD!!!

First of all I would like to say that's a very nice post. You obviously have some knowledge about what you're talking about and not just throw out random facts that don't make sense while calling people stupid. It's true that there's always gonna be what Johnnie Majors called "the legions of the miserable." I myself used to be a Fitzgerald supporter in the pre-Hamontree days, and let me remind you that the main reason he was replaced by Hamontree was the lack of discipline. (namely the "Back Valley Brawl" after the Cleveland game.) It was clear to me that the team was out of control when you have coaches throwing punches after the game. I was very excited with the return of Hamontree, and hoped he could bring us back to prominence, and I believe, if he would have planned on staying, and received the administrative support he needed, he could have.

I was still cautiously optimistic going into the 2006 season when Fitzgerald took back the reigns, and after a decent 8-4 season (that was their record right?) I was still fairly confident in their ability to coach. Last year ruined that for me. In my opinion it was a terrible coaching performance. From yanking Swafford after a 3-1 start, to various other players who were playing in the wrong position, to letting roberts get injured in that Walker Valley blowout, to having to sit and listen to players swear on the sidelines. I was talking with a former player after the Maryville game last year down on the field just telling him he played well. It struck me as strange that he didn't seem to be upset or anything, but then he told me, and I quote, "well none of us really expected to win, we all knew we had just as good of athletes as them, but the team has no faith in the coaches..." Now I don't expect our coaching staff to be like Quarles and have that unbelievable amount of success, but I do expect them to be able to inspire their players and make them believe. I want some coach to come in who makes the players believe, makes me believe, makes this whole county believe again.....and whether that happens or not, I'll be up in the stands every Friday night yelling for my boys!

I agree 100%

I also have watched Rhea County Football for a long time and have seen many of the things that "footballfanrc" mentioned. I remember the comments concerning coaching after the quaterfinal loss (19-9) to Knoxville Halls in

1986 and after the 10-7 losses to Tyner and McCallie in 1988, both on last second field goals with the McCallie game being played in hurricane type conditions. People were having a cow in the stands in 89 after two back to back close losses to Red Bank(17-15) and Cleveland(19-8) to open the season. The 89 season ended with a semifinal loss to Murfreesboro Oakland(27-17). You can't please all of the people all of the time and its all been said before in one form or another. I don't believe that as a "unit" the coaching staff is as strong as was in the 80's but I am not going to get on here and bash them either. As fans we have all questioned the coaching from time to time and as a fan and a ticket holder everyone has the right to their own opinion and the right to voice that opinion, but if a person's opinion is so negative that it consumes them, then maybe they should find another way to spend their time and money on Friday nights.

I support the staff 100 percent. Jason is the best coach we've had since Horton! But, I tip my ballcap to Walt Camron he puts together an exciting high powered offense every year. Defense wins championships but Walt Camron's offense packs Bill Horton field every friday night! I'm excited to see how we match up with Soddy! and lets stay positive on here fellas. See ya friday! Ill prolly be all painted up to support my hometown boys!!

Great post. A lot of great information and history, and just to follow up on Coach Payne. He went on after Rhea to have a very successful career at Cartersville Hish School as a assistant and coordinator, including a State Title. But of course it also helps when you have Ronnie Brown to coach and a few others who went to play in college and the pros.

Nice post footballfanrc.Just for the record i do not remember calling you stuip but did say you did not have a clue.I think the QB change was after the 5th game and rhea was 3-2 and for the one player that did not think they could win he shouldve stayed at home.Sounds to me with every thing you are seeing you should change careers and put in for a few NFL jobs that come open this year.

Hope we are ready to go Friday Soddy is for real.That is the only thing i have heard this week at work.Good luck to the players and the coaches and supereagle does not speak for most of Rhea co fans even know he acts like it.Its people like him in the world that makes kids doubt what coaches,teachers,parents are telling them but he cant see that.People like him will tear a program down so eagle nation stay tight and lets beat Soddy!

Guys Soddy is for real Coach S has done a great job with them so be ready number2, 7 and 9 are tuff.The last thing i will say is you guys are very lucky to have the staff you have its a shame you can not see that.I am still in shock from last year with you all not having anybody to throw the ball and with all of us putting 8 and 9 people in the box your running game yards per game was amazing.I guess that was two things oh well good luck eagles see you soon.

First of all I would like to say that's a very nice post. You obviously have some knowledge about what you're talking about and not just throw out random facts that don't make sense while calling people stupid. It's true that there's always gonna be what Johnnie Majors called "the legions of the miserable." I myself used to be a Fitzgerald supporter in the pre-Hamontree days, and let me remind you that the main reason he was replaced by Hamontree was the lack of discipline. (namely the "Back Valley Brawl" after the Cleveland game.) It was clear to me that the team was out of control when you have coaches throwing punches after the game. I was very excited with the return of Hamontree, and hoped he could bring us back to prominence, and I believe, if he would have planned on staying, and received the administrative support he needed, he could have.

I was still cautiously optimistic going into the 2006 season when Fitzgerald took back the reigns, and after a decent 8-4 season (that was their record right?) I was still fairly confident in their ability to coach. Last year ruined that for me. In my opinion it was a terrible coaching performance. From yanking Swafford after a 3-1 start, to various other players who were playing in the wrong position, to letting roberts get injured in that Walker Valley blowout, to having to sit and listen to players swear on the sidelines. I was talking with a former player after the Maryville game last year down on the field just telling him he played well. It struck me as strange that he didn't seem to be upset or anything, but then he told me, and I quote, "well none of us really expected to win, we all knew we had just as good of athletes as them, but the team has no faith in the coaches..." Now I don't expect our coaching staff to be like Quarles and have that unbelievable amount of success, but I do expect them to be able to inspire their players and make them believe. I want some coach to come in who makes the players believe, makes me believe, makes this whole county believe again.....and whether that happens or not, I'll be up in the stands every Friday night yelling for my boys!

Yeah that was a fun Halloween Night when the "Back Valley Brawl" took place. Lavonte Barber ran his mouth so much that night and then after the game came over to the Rhea players running his mouth taunting them some more lead to the fight. hammontree well, I better hold my tongue because I have nothing nice to say about hammontree.

Yes the record was 8-4 overall 6-1 in the region. Ok so one out of how many years Fitz has coached, made you not like him? I mean isn't that a little in harsh judgement. Swafford had his shot and to be honest he is 10 times better player at WR than QB. That is one position change that has paid off nicely. Swafford I can see it in the way he acts and even his attitude has changed since the position change. He loves being at WR, and he is having fun now. Maryville is a tall order for any team, what has it been now 62 games since they last lost. As for athletes yeah right, Maryville has athletes like no other team in the state. As for the team not having faith that is one person opinion not a whole team. Just believe in this team.

So can you give us some info on Soddy Rhea Co, the offense they run, playmakers, etc..

Sure Soddy runs a spread offense. I mean it is the pretty much same offense E.K. ran at Red Bank. Alot of 3,4 and even 5 wide. They run some plays with TEs. They have a few different run plays. Offensive playmakers for Soddy QB Scott Parrott, much improved from last year, very good arm, and pretty accurate with his throws. He is not afraid to spread the ball around. He loves to get it to his two huge playmaker wide receivers in Bubba Haney (#7) and Donovan Barnes (I believe he is #9). Haney maybe the best athlete I have seen this year or will see out of the Chattanooga Area. He can do it all. He can be a WR, he can play RB, he returns kicks and punts, and is a excellent player on defense. Barnes is their returning leading receiver, but he impressed me the most at Red Bank as a corner. He was laying the wood to Red Bank's receivers. Their running back Hubbard is a good back. However if he starts to dance around, the defense should be able to get some good shots at him. Soddy's line is decent to good. They do alot of little things right, which really helps. However even with Revis out, Rhea has the better line. Soddy's defense is pretty much the same as last year.

Guys Soddy is for real Coach S has done a great job with them so be ready number2, 7 and 9 are tuff.The last thing i will say is you guys are very lucky to have the staff you have its a shame you can not see that.I am still in shock from last year with you all not having anybody to throw the ball and with all of us putting 8 and 9 people in the box your running game yards per game was amazing.I guess that was two things oh well good luck eagles see you soon.

Agreed Slaughter is for real. He has done a great job turning around Soddy so far. Yeap see you guys in a couple of weeks, good luck too.