VOLUNTEER FALCONS AT CLINTWOOD VA

VHSFALCONS

Good luck in which ever of your 7 state championships you play in. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That would be 6...which will be the same number your state will play for next year /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man what are you smokin Tennessee High use to play teams in SWVA. Now you ask THS why they dont play them anymore, and trust me its not cause of the drive or the gas money.

Played Bluefield Beaver 2game series =split, Graham 2 game series=split, Gate city 3 times that i know of in the 90s when they were very good had the state championship(Housewright and that bunch) team in 96 i think we got beat 21-7 and we did,nt even make the playoffs that year... the other two times one was a very close game and lost,.. the other was a easy win for us and gate city canceled the series not us.I hated that to, it was becoming a very good rivalry /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

That would be 6...which will be the same number your state will play for next year /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Uh? Maybe I am wrong but doesn't Va. have like 3 or 4 "State Champions" for each classification.

Don't remember any team from swva playing a Norfolk , Richmond , Va. Beach team. I am certain they still play some football on the other side of the state ?

Congrads to the Green Wave for their victory Friday night. You guys have a fine looking ball team. It was a hard fought game until the 4th quarter when we wore down, which I think is embarrasing considering the size difference in the teams. That just shows that we have come a long way towards building a more competitive football team but we are by no means there yet. Even though we have made the playoffs the last couple of years, I would still consider us in the lower half of our Region. Eventually we may crawl out of the cellar. Coach Rider, his staff and the team is working hard to get there and in the last couple of years have made great strides in that direction. It takes time to make a good football program out of one that has always been par or subpar.

As for whether or not SWVa football is as good as NET football, I think we would be comparing Apples and Oranges. There is no way that year in and year out that teams from schools with enrollments of 300 to 600 can compete with schools that have enrollments of 1100 to 1600. There has been times over the years that a team from SWVa would have been capable of beating the top teams in NET and did on occasion. Anyone that has been around High School football in this area would tell you that the Clintwood teams of the mid 70s, the Gate City teams of the early 70s, the Powell Valley teams of the late 80s and early 90s could hold their own with anyone over here. I would love to see the matchups more often because I love going to some of the tradition rich stadiums and watching High School football in its purist form. I wished that our top programs (DB , TN High, MoWest, South, etc ) would take as much pride in taking the underdog role and using it to motivate themselves for the big games. If they did maybe. just maybe they could get past the big teams in the Knoxville area and have a chance to represent NET for a State Championship the same way SWVa does year in and year out.

Good Luck to schools on both sides of the line!

PS Falcons, keep working to turn this thing around! STAY HUNGRY /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

man what are you smokin Tennessee High use to play teams in SWVA. Now you ask THS why they dont play them anymore, and trust me its not cause of the drive or the gas money.

It's because they had to make room for Unicoi and Johnson Co, at least that was the situation with Graham and Grundy. I don't know why Gate City and TN High stopped playing.

The turning point of the game was the perfectly executed fake punt that clintwood did. It was a crazy play that really turned the momentum. Volunteer never could get anything going after that. It was really a close game until the 4th qtr. Volunteer looked like they got really tired towards the end of the third qtr and they let the robinson kid run all over them. Clintwood has a very good team they should win state. As for volunteer it doesnt get any easier. If they dont improve and improve fast they may not win another game.

3 classifications, split into 2 divisions in which one state champion comes from each division=6 state champions...that's for football. Basketball was just recently split into 2 divisions also, but for one class. The other sports have 3....one state champ from each classification, no divisions.

Don't remember any team from swva playing a Norfolk , Richmond , Va. Beach team. I am certain they still play some football on the other side of the state ?

As far as those areas go, one has to make it to the finals to play the other, lol. But yeah, they still play, haha. 2007 VA state semifinal and final results: http://www.vhsl.org/fbsemifinals07.doc

3 classifications, split into 2 divisions in which one state champion comes from each division=6 state champions...that's for football. Basketball was just recently split into 2 divisions also, but for one class. The other sports have 3....one state champ from each classification, no divisions.

As far as those areas go, one has to make it to the finals to play the other, lol. But yeah, they still play, haha. 2007 VA state semifinal and final results: http://www.vhsl.org/fbsemifinals07.doc

Well OK then. I guess congrats are due? I really do not know much about the Commonwealth state or where many of these schools or cities are located. I did understand that there was multiple champions in each classification. I did see Clintwood listed as beating Bath co. (Bath County) I bet its an oxymoron. LOL. Anyway Clintwood beat them for State last year? After getting hammered by Falcons. Wow. Gooooo! Greenwave!

Well OK then. I guess congrats are due? I really do not know much about the Commonwealth state or where many of these schools or cities are located. I did understand that there was multiple champions in each classification. I did see Clintwood listed as beating Bath co. (Bath County) I bet its an oxymoron. LOL. Anyway Clintwood beat them for State last year? After getting hammered by Falcons. Wow. Gooooo! Greenwave!

Clintwood beat Bath County in the state semi finals. They lost in the state game to undefeated Buffalo Gap 28-19.

What? No one was bragging about anything, and no one asked for congratulations. I was just telling you the correct number and the way things lined up. Nothing to take a shot at. And yeah, they beat them and lost to Volunteer (who's not a 1A team), so?

I do believe that Coach Rider and his staff are working hard to turn around the Volunteer program. Scheduling Clintwood was not a good team to schedule in VA. They should have Pound, Hurley, Twin Valley, Coburn, Rye Cove and so on. Coach Rider should have talked to his dad to find out who to play and who not to play since he has coached in Southwest Virginia. I know the people in Clintwood are very proud of their Green Wave. It must have been a good game.