Henry County v. Memphis Treadwell

chaos001

Now THAT is a touchy subject. I listen to the Boatright High School Scoreboard radio talk show on Friday nights after the games. Its a local show were they have fans and coaches call in and talk to the hosts about their game and their team. I listened to the show after Kingsbury beat Haywood and the head coach for Kingsbury was on the show. He was asked about Hunter, in particular, amoung other things. The coach for Kingsbury stated that Hunter's injury was not as bad as initially thought and that he could be back towards the end of the season, if not sooner, and possibly play in the playoffs. He also indicated that coach Houston Nutt has made it known that he doesn't want Hunter to play at all since he (Hunter) has already committed to Ole Miss. That's a delicate situation. I don't think the Kingsbury coach will jeapodize the young man's college career ... but if he is healthy ... he will play.

I find it very strange that a college coach could dictate a high school player's playing time. If he wants him badly enough he will take him injured or not. Plus his verbal committment is just as binding as Hunter's verbal committment to him, which is absolutely NOT binding at all. If and when Hunter is able to play because Ole Miss could "unextend" their offer anytime. He better play and be seen by others if he is able to do so.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very strange that a college coach could dictate a high school player's playing time. If he wants him badly enough he will take him injured or not. Plus his verbal committment is just as binding as Hunter's verbal committment to him, which is absolutely NOT binding at all. If and when Hunter is able to play because Ole Miss could "unextend" their offer anytime. He better play and be seen by others if he is able to do so.

With 4 SEC teams with offers on table and Alabama also interested along with Memphis and Texas Tech he has the eyes of scouts, already. It will be interesting to see what he does or his Coach allows!

I'm not surprised at all. This kind of stuff is par for the course. Gabriel Hunter has options, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans to the head coach of the SEC school he's committed to. I've heard of many instances like this. I've even heard of SEC coaches telling a HS coach to NOT allow a player(s) to visit other schools on recruiting trips. This doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen it before. I don't think coach Sutton will play the young man if he thinks playing him may injure him furthur. But if he is healthy, he's going to play, regardless of what coach Nutt desires.

I'm not surprised at all. This kind of stuff is par for the course. Gabriel Hunter has options, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans to the head coach of the SEC school he's committed to. I've heard of many instances like this. I've even heard of SEC coaches telling a HS coach to NOT allow a player(s) to visit other schools on recruiting trips. This doesn't surprise me at all. I've seen it before. I don't think coach Sutton will play the young man if he thinks playing him may injure him furthur. But if he is healthy, he's going to play, regardless of what coach Nutt desires.

Thats exactly what he should do. He should play if he is healthy and Coach Nutt or any college coach should have NOTHING to say about it. In fact I would advise the young man NOT to go to Ole Miss BECAUSE Coach Nutt told him not to play.

Thats exactly what he should do. He should play if he is healthy and Coach Nutt or any college coach should have NOTHING to say about it. In fact I would advise the young man NOT to go to Ole Miss BECAUSE Coach Nutt told him not to play.

I understand where you are coming from but Gabriel's best option is to just play it by ear. If he becomes healthy and he can play, then by all means he should play. I wouldn't burn any bridges with Ole Miss because coach Nutt wants to protect his future recruit, however selfish his motive may be. Gabe's best option is to keep all options open, just don't make a decision based upon some college coach who you may or may not play for. Coach Nutt isn't any different then any other coach at a big time college program, especially those in the SEC. They are all similar. Since Gabe has verbaled; coach Nutt feels that he has a right to voice his desire as to what the young man should do. You and I don't agree, but ... that's how it is when dealing with a bigtime college program like a SEC program. Coach Nutt is just expressing his wishes. Should the young man at Kingsbury hurt his knee further ... Ole Miss will probably NOT offer him. Coach Nutt is just trying to ..."protect his investment" ... in a manner of speaking. I'm not saying what coach Nutt implied is wrong or that it is right ... I am saying that coaches in these big programs will not hesitate to tell a recruit who has commited to their program to not play if they have sustained an injury during their senior season and that injury is deemed serious. Gabe just needs to proceed with caution.

Would this years Melrose team beat last years Melrose team. How would predict the region to end up (order of top four spots)?

Melrose 2008 .... 18 pts ............ vs ............... Melrose 2007 .... 13 pts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This year's Melrose team is a bit better, overall, than last year.

The reason is simple: This year's passing offense is 3 X more explosive than last year's, primarily because of the QB's (Toney) tremendous improvement! Given Toney's development, Melrose 2008 is always just one play away from a TD strike. Their potent, quick-strike offense provides its defense with a much wider margin for error, than did last year's offense.

Last year's defense was 1-notch better, IMO. This year's defense is still formidabe enough, however, to keep games close. This gives Toney & the passing game plenty of opportunities to pull out a victory.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Fact: ....... Melrose 2008 is only 2 or 3 SHORT, executed plays away from being UNDEFEATED (5-0).

I understand where you are coming from but Gabriel's best option is to just play it by ear. If he becomes healthy and he can play, then by all means he should play. I wouldn't burn any bridges with Ole Miss because coach Nutt wants to protect his future recruit, however selfish his motive may be. Gabe's best option is to keep all options open, just don't make a decision based upon some college coach who you may or may not play for. Coach Nutt isn't any different then any other coach at a big time college program, especially those in the SEC. They are all similar. Since Gabe has verbaled; coach Nutt feels that he has a right to voice his desire as to what the young man should do. You and I don't agree, but ... that's how it is when dealing with a bigtime college program like a SEC program. Coach Nutt is just expressing his wishes. Should the young man at Kingsbury hurt his knee further ... Ole Miss will probably NOT offer him. Coach Nutt is just trying to ..."protect his investment" ... in a manner of speaking. I'm not saying what coach Nutt implied is wrong or that it is right ... I am saying that coaches in these big programs will not hesitate to tell a recruit who has commited to their program to not play if they have sustained an injury during their senior season and that injury is deemed serious. Gabe just needs to proceed with caution.

I am now retired, but coached for over 30 years in Mississippi. What Coach Nutt is doing is ridiculous. The fact is that Coach Nutt has offered more scholarships than he has to offer. That is the rule, and not he exception, in big time college football. Hunter owes him nothing. His high school coach owes Nutt nothing. When the time comes, there may not even be a scholarship for Hunter from Ole Miss. I would advise Hunter to play when he is healthy enough to play, and let no college coach influence him on when he returns to the field of play. Coach Nutt has made no investment at all in Hunter, and therefore has nothing to protect. He should be ashamed of himself, if what you say is true. He should also explain all of the offers, or "investments", that he has made beyond the number of scholarships that he has to give. I have seen this type of thing many times during my career, and it is sickening.

I am now retired, but coached for over 30 years in Mississippi. What Coach Nutt is doing is ridiculous. The fact is that Coach Nutt has offered more scholarships than he has to offer. That is the rule, and not he exception, in big time college football. Hunter owes him nothing. His high school coach owes Nutt nothing. When the time comes, there may not even be a scholarship for Hunter from Ole Miss. I would advise Hunter to play when he is healthy enough to play, and let no college coach influence him on when he returns to the field of play. Coach Nutt has made no investment at all in Hunter, and therefore has nothing to protect. He should be ashamed of himself, if what you say is true. He should also explain all of the offers, or "investments", that he has made beyond the number of scholarships that he has to give. I have seen this type of thing many times during my career, and it is sickening.

Like you said, that is the rule and not the exception in big time college football. I agree, coach Sutton nor Gabe owes coach Nutt anything and therefore they should and probably will proceed on the side of caution for Gabe's sake, not coach Nutt's sake. Its part of doing business with the SEC, like it or leave it. I'm sure that the coaching staff at Kingsbury is aware of coach Nutt's over extension of scholarship offers. Gabe isn't lacking for offers either, so I don't think it will be much of a concern either way. I think that coach Sutton will do what's best for the young man and for Kingsbury. I'm sure Gabe doesn't want his sr. season to end with him sittin on the bench watching his teammates if he knows that he can play.

Like you said, that is the rule and not the exception in big time college football. I agree, coach Sutton nor Gabe owes coach Nutt anything and therefore they should and probably will proceed on the side of caution for Gabe's sake, not coach Nutt's sake. Its part of doing business with the SEC, like it or leave it. I'm sure that the coaching staff at Kingsbury is aware of coach Nutt's over extension of scholarship offers. Gabe isn't lacking for offers either, so I don't think it will be much of a concern either way. I think that coach Sutton will do what's best for the young man and for Kingsbury. I'm sure Gabe doesn't want his sr. season to end with him sittin on the bench watching his teammates if he knows that he can play.

We are in complete agreement. I hope the young man gets healthy enough to play, and does just that. If he has always wanted to go to Ole Miss, then I hope it works out for him. Otherwise, I personally hope that Coach Nutt loses this one.

Henry County Henry County, all I hear is Henry County,

My Knights seem to be struggling this year with losses to an undefeated Beech team and a 5a state runner-up Independence. I was beginning to think maybe we are not very good,

My thinking has changed, maybe if we played a soft schedule like Henry County, we would be 4-0.

Afterall, we have one common opponent with Henry County and we are 1-0 in those regards. I have to think that we could beat any team that Henry County has beat to this point.

Just wait until Brighton comes to town, they will show you what for in that one.

They have the Defense to stop the mighty Patriots, and the offense to mercy rule the mighty Patriots.

Brighton is not Westview, or Northwest, or Liberty, Treadwell, or Dickson. They are for real and are going to kick your butt.

Henry County Henry County, all I hear is Henry County,

My Knights seem to be struggling this year with losses to an undefeated Beech team and a 5a state runner-up Independence. I was beginning to think maybe we are not very good,

My thinking has changed, maybe if we played a soft schedule like Henry County, we would be 4-0.

Afterall, we have one common opponent with Henry County and we are 1-0 in those regards. I have to think that we could beat any team that Henry County has beat to this point.

Just wait until Brighton comes to town, they will show you what for in that one.

They have the Defense to stop the mighty Patriots, and the offense to mercy rule the mighty Patriots.

Brighton is not Westview, or Northwest, or Liberty, Treadwell, or Dickson. They are for real and are going to kick your butt.

fastcat dont even talk trash to henry county. our jv team whipped yall up and down that field at kenwood