Meigs County ?

87Cat

Does anybody know what's going on within the Meigs Football program? I understand all programs have their up and down times. But I live near Decatur and follow high school football. Seems like every time I'm in town I hear a new rumor about what is wrong with the football team.

Most of them seem to point to the coaches. I know the Head Coach has been there before and was successful. Heard that one asst. coach tried to quit this week when he got caught by a parent "yelling" at a player in the parking lot. Also that there is turmoil between coaches. They can't agree on play calling. and so on.

Heard that some former players and athletes from other sports wanted to come out and play last week, to try and help revive the football program. But were turned away because they haven't done their time on the practice field.

Normally I would agree with the fact they need to "do their time on the practice field" but with things going like they are currently, It might be a good idea to accept any help you can get.

I'm not talking about any one player that has transferred or quit. I'm talking about a large group of players that have decided not to play football at Meigs.

There has to be some truth to what I'm hearing.

Tell me what your thoughts are..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know what's going on within the Meigs Football program? I understand all programs have their up and down times. But I live near Decatur and follow high school football. Seems like every time I'm in town I hear a new rumor about what is wrong with the football team.

Most of them seem to point to the coaches. I know the Head Coach has been there before and was successful. Heard that one asst. coach tried to quit this week when he got caught by a parent "yelling" at a player in the parking lot. Also that there is turmoil between coaches. They can't agree on play calling. and so on.

Heard that some former players and athletes from other sports wanted to come out and play last week, to try and help revive the football program. But were turned away because they haven't done their time on the practice field.

Normally I would agree with the fact they need to "do their time on the practice field" but with things going like they are currently, It might be a good idea to accept any help you can get.

I'm not talking about any one player that has transferred or quit. I'm talking about a large group of players that have decided not to play football at Meigs.

Exactly what I have been saying,, But no one wants to talk about it.

Good luck to Meigs County football.....great program.....we know what your going through over here in the valley with Bledsoe County......hang in there...maybe the both of us can turn things around... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

There is absolutely no excitement surrounding the program. We have the least amount of coaches than anyone in the conference. I look at other programs and see 7-12 coaches on the sidelines, whether they be volunteers or paid.

We lost some very good coaches in Baker and Martin, both who brought excitement and knowledge to the program.

We replaced these two with young and inexperenced coaches.

If you go to our middle school games we generally dress close to 50 players. Now thats only for 7th and 8th graders. When they get to high school they dont play for some reason. Yes there is a hall full of kids who could help our program, but they choose not to play. I am not putting the blame on anyone because I dont know each kids reason.

IMO the reason is lack of excitement for the program from the top down. Kids want to be a part of good things and right now things are bad. I just hope someone in charge realizes this before it gets worse, if thats possible

The coaching staff situation, I know of one coach who had an offer to go coach at a neighbor school but turned it down to stay at Meigs, a school in which he has been a part of during his career. It wouldnt surprise me if some coaches left after this year. But do you blame them if they leave since all they hear is its their fault.

The coaching staff situation, I know of one coach who had an offer to go coach at a neighbor school but turned it down to stay at Meigs, a school in which he has been a part of during his career. It wouldnt surprise me if some coaches left after this year. But do you blame them if they leave since all they hear is its their fault.

Just what is the coaches fault? Players leaving, not playing or what? yes the coaches should shoulder some blame. Is it not the coaches job to create excitement and get players out? Is it not the administrations job to put people in place who can create this excitement? Its not one persons fault, we are all to blame for sitting on our duffs and allowing this to happen. Anyone involved could see this coming, why do you think martin left?

Just what is the coaches fault? Players leaving, not playing or what? yes the coaches should shoulder some blame. Is it not the coaches job to create excitement and get players out? Is it not the administrations job to put people in place who can create this excitement? Its not one persons fault, we are all to blame for sitting on our duffs and allowing this to happen. Anyone involved could see this coming, why do you think martin left?

listen meigs has some atheletes walking the halls but they do not have the (deleted) to play football...i am sorry but thats pretty much what it comes down to. the reason they quit is because they are not man enough to take the beating these players go through everyday.... most of these atheletes are only good at basketball... we did lose a great reciver this year but that doesnt matter...he chose to concentrate on baseball...

as for the coaching situation..everyone needs to stop with the rumors..there is a reason they are called rumors...

and as for some of the people that bad mouth meigs and are from meigs...why dont you go jump on someone elses bandwagon... when meigs was doing good you were all for them but now they lose 3 straight you are bad mouthing them...

what was their record last year...7-3 they can still go 7-3 this year

Please watch the language

One thing I have always liked about Meigs football was the Phisicality. You knew you were going to get hit when you played Meigs. Sorry to hear about whats going on. I believe in supporting all the teams in the region, so please take this as friendly, supportive advice and nothing else. Hard times bring out hard feelings and things get said that maybe shouldn't. Rally behind your team. If they ever need to see unity in their community, it is now. It took us awhile at Sequoyah to understand this (me in particular). I don't know what all is going on down there, but I hope you all can get things straightened out soon. Losing a coach will cause some kids to quit and it will cause some to stand back and wait and see what happens. Yeah a new coach needs to create the excitement to get them out there, but it also takes continous encouragement from members of the community.

Good luck to you guys.

most of these atheletes are only good at basketball...

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Meigs County in basketball went 16-15 last year. I dont know if they are really good at it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I'm sorry I just thought that was funny. New coach, losing a bunch of good seniors, good kids walking the hall. Thats why Meigs is 0-3. No need to panic, it might a take a rebuilding year or two. Good luck

There is alot of truth to what you are hearing Meigs is in deep trouble. I like Coach Eller and he has been dealt a terrible hand at Meigs but he is going to have to take control and lead them out of this crisis and it starts with his assistant coaches or lack there of. We have had several good players quit and we have several Kids walking the hall ways that could help this team. When i say bad hand i do not mean in player tallent even though it is down some at Meigs this year they still have enough tallent and heart to compete if they had the kids out that have quit or chose not to play or have transferred due to the coaching issues.