Powell vs. Maryville Freshman game

PowellPanther4life

No offense or anything, but it was kinda ridiculous that the freshman team (mostly the coach) was that excited about beating Maryville's freshman team. I wanted to go up the their coach and say, "Congratulations, you just won the Super Bowl, what are you going to do next?" I know the guy is young, but it was silly to watch him celebrating at mid-field with his team... jumping up and down and chanting. The guy is a coach. Shake hands and leave the celebrating to your team.

Depends on your prespective if you really think about it. At Maryville ,where you have been successful for so long, maybe it would be "ridiculous" for your coach to celebrate with his team after a win. Certainly thats not GQ's style. However, IMO, there is nothing at all "ridiculous" about the Powell coach celebrating a big victory over a team from a community that rarely loses. Jumping and chanting included, so long as you aren't belittling or taunting the opponent, and he didn't. You should have just a bit of leaniancy about what a freshman coach does in celebration with his team (at their own home field by the way) after a big victory. I'm looking forward to the day that beating Maryville, even in freshman football, really is no cause for celebration.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense or anything, but it was kinda ridiculous that the freshman team (mostly the coach) was that excited about beating Maryville's freshman team. I wanted to go up the their coach and say, "Congratulations, you just won the Super Bowl, what are you going to do next?" I know the guy is young, but it was silly to watch him celebrating at mid-field with his team... jumping up and down and chanting. The guy is a coach. Shake hands and leave the celebrating to your team.

I felt the same way. That coach was either an idiot or trying to make a spectacle of himself. A rare victory is no excuse to be so un-professional in a FRESHMEN game.

I really hope that coach didn't start the chant, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. As to the chanting itself, I've got no problem with that at all. Those kids really did win by playing more physical than Maryville. #90, #2 & the QB (among others) have bright futures.

Depends on your prespective if you really think about it. At Maryville ,where you have been successful for so long, maybe it would be "ridiculous" for your coach to celebrate with his team after a win. Certainly thats not GQ's style. However, IMO, there is nothing at all "ridiculous" about the Powell coach celebrating a big victory over a team from a community that rarely loses. Jumping and chanting included, so long as you aren't belittling or taunting the opponent, and he didn't. You should have just a bit of leaniancy about what a freshman coach does in celebration with his team (at their own home field by the way) after a big victory. I'm looking forward to the day that beating Maryville, even in freshman football, really is no cause for celebration.

keep on looking!

Powell must have a great freshman class. This Maryville freshman class is thought to be right up there with the Chuck Prugh class of 99,Carl Stewart class of 2003 and the Tyler Maples class of 2007.

RR,

While Powell does have a real good team, MHS fumbled twice (both fumbles cost them) and Powell returned a kick for a TD. West played only the first two plays due to a deep thigh bruise. MHS helped Powell a lot. But, also don't take anything away from Powell. They're good. However, the magician will work the magic with this group of MHS freshmen and you should expect this group to live up to expectations.

RR,

While Powell does have a real good team, MHS fumbled twice (both fumbles cost them) and Powell returned a kick for a TD. West played only the first two plays due to a deep thigh bruise. MHS helped Powell a lot. But, also don't take anything away from Powell. They're good. However, the magician will work the magic with this group of MHS freshmen and you should expect this group to live up to expectations.

While I do believe West would have made a difference in the game, Powell was also short handed with #2 and #14 playing only half of the freshman game. Both of these guys start on Powell's JV squad at RB and LB. Powell did get some breaks, but they made their own breaks for the most part. I do feel confident that GQ will work wonders with his tallented group of freshman. The future looks bright for the Panthers! (It's already bright for the Rebels /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) Best of luck to both teams!

While I do believe West would have made a difference in the game, Powell was also short handed with #2 and #14 playing only half of the freshman game. Both of these guys start on Powell's JV squad at RB and LB. Powell did get some breaks, but they made their own breaks for the most part. I do feel confident that GQ will work wonders with his tallented group of freshman. The future looks bright for the Panthers! (It's already bright for the Rebels /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) Best of luck to both teams!

West makes a difference in any game....Who won tha JV game????

Rebels JV rolled 28-6 (IIRC). Powell scored late on the JV 2nd string on a big run by number 2 (who I believe is a freshman).

FootballDad... I really have no dog in this fight. My little brother plays on the JV team and I don't really care what Maryville's freshman team does. However, when I went to the Powell/Maryville game on Monday and watched the freshman coach run around the sidelines celebrating I thought it pretty ridiculous. I MIGHT be able to understand if Powell had pulled out a close win late in the game. That wasn't really the case. They were up by two possessions. He had plenty of time to get his excitement under control and act like a professional. He didn't. Instead he ran out in the middle of the field, surrounded by his team and chanted with them. Not to mention their chant was a little bit of a taunt. I am sure the Maryville kids didn't care, but it could definitely be taken as a taunt. We used to do that in high school, as fans, and it was definitely to taunt the team we just beat. I don't think I have ever seen another high school coach go to the middle of the field and jump up and down with his team while chanting. I had no problem with the chant its self, or the kids doing it. I just had a problem with the coach leading the cheer, or at least practically leading it. High fives, hugs, chest bumps, side bumps, etc. are all acceptable forms of celebration. Chanting with your team at mid-field really isn't.

Rebels JV rolled 28-6 (IIRC). Powell scored late on the JV 2nd string on a big run by number 2 (who I believe is a freshman).

FootballDad... I really have no dog in this fight. My little brother plays on the JV team and I don't really care what Maryville's freshman team does. However, when I went to the Powell/Maryville game on Monday and watched the freshman coach run around the sidelines celebrating I thought it pretty ridiculous. I MIGHT be able to understand if Powell had pulled out a close win late in the game. That wasn't really the case. They were up by two possessions. He had plenty of time to get his excitement under control and act like a professional. He didn't. Instead he ran out in the middle of the field, surrounded by his team and chanted with them. Not to mention their chant was a little bit of a taunt. I am sure the Maryville kids didn't care, but it could definitely be taken as a taunt. We used to do that in high school, as fans, and it was definitely to taunt the team we just beat. I don't think I have ever seen another high school coach go to the middle of the field and jump up and down with his team while chanting. I had no problem with the chant its self, or the kids doing it. I just had a problem with the coach leading the cheer, or at least practically leading it. High fives, hugs, chest bumps, side bumps, etc. are all acceptable forms of celebration. Chanting with your team at mid-field really isn't.

"MaryvilleRebels":

This board is about opinions and yours is as valid as anyone elses. It would be boring if we all agreed. You and I don't agree on this topic. I would think that you would take it as a compliment that your program is regarded so highly that someone, including a coach, would get excited enough to chant, chest bump, high five, etc.. after a freshman football game. When you call out a coach in a public fourm like this board by calling his reaction "ridiculous" after your team just lost makes it sound to the rest of us that you are being a bit sensitive to losing the game. And you're being super sensitive if you took the chant, celebrating as a taunt,....lighten up. Every coach doesn't subscribe to the same set of coaching ethics that you do. Heck, I thought Bruce Pearl painting up for a Lady Vols game was great, bet that was something you had never seen as well. Anyway, just food for thought. I can assure you the celebration after the game was merely that... a celebration.

I don't know that I neccessarily agree with what the young man did after the game, but I do know that his attitude (as well as the other freshman coaches' on the sideline) seemed to be infectious. The kids were playing well and the coaches were keeping them pumped up and were getting excited themselves. I wasn't crazy about the chant at mid-field, especially because it probably fired up the Maryville JV team, but my son and his friends certainly enjoyed it. And for what its worth they love their freshman coaches and love the fact that they get fired up with them. I guess what I'm saying is I can see both sides, and I can definitely see it rubbing people who just lost the wrong way. Not to say that it's sour grapes. I'm being completly honest, if Powell would have lost and the rebels would have done that it would have bothered me as well. Like I said though, that is that coach's style. According to my son and his friends he's an in your face type coach. In fact, he once told me something like I try to make sure that I love on them just as hard when they do something great as I come down on them when they mess up. He's not one of those Phil Fulmer types thats going to stand there and clap his hands no matter what is going on....but you know what Coach Lowe isn't either. Just my two cents.

Are we talking about the Head coach ? Does he coach the freshman team as well ? I thought we were talking about some young assistant coach , which I wouldn't have as much of a problem with acting this way ... but I still wouldn't be thrilled with my coaches acting that way . If we're talking about the head coach , well that's another story .

Powell must have a great freshman class. This Maryville freshman class is thought to be right up there with the Chuck Prugh class of 99,Carl Stewart class of 2003 and the Tyler Maples class of 2007.

I can say their team is good but, I can tell you that the Karns Freshman dominated the game with Powell, 34 to 13 and Powell scored with 10 secs. left on the third teamers.So maybe Karns has some thing to look forward to. I believe that the Karns freshman coach tried to get a game with Maryville but, the schedule was full for Maryville.