Best In East

Guest Trojans29

JHITE7, hey, thanks for pointing out the FACT that i'm ALWAYS wrong. not once have i been right about anything concerning high school football. tell me how i cam turn my failures around? should i just listen to you and hold on to your skirt? please tell me how to increase my knowledge in the game of football...please, please, please...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportswriters are exactly what the name insinuates...WRITERS. They have opinions just like me and you, their's are published though. How can you make a comment saying that if West had Baugh, they would have beat Maryville? Had Baugh & Greeneville actually got past West, they would have had the chance to try to beat Maryville...BUT they would have failed also. Maryville beat West...not by Southerland's mistakes...but by running the football in key situations. Maryville done everything right to win the game...not Southerland did stuff to lose it. And I am not slashing you...I am simply slashing your comments that always seem to strike a nerve with people. AND yes...I am saying that you and the sportswriters are wrong. Baugh is good, but he is no Drew Southerland...nor does he have the supporting cast that Drew does. So YOU fbwiz are the one in for a rude awakening.

what makes baugh better than southerland:

1) baugh has a quicker release

2) baugh has a quicker step back and drop

3) baugh has a tighter spiral

4) baugh is stronger

5) baugh has quicker lateral movement

6) baugh is more versatile (good in the pocket and on the run)

7) baugh has a better passing efficiency

8) baugh makes fewer mental errors (fewer ints.; fewer overthrown balls; doesn't fail to pick up safety blitzes and so on)

9) baugh has better field vision (finds the open receiver)

however, on the other hand, southerland has one advantage over baugh. he can see over linemen better than baugh. that is about all you can give him.

Guest trojanball4
Posted by REBELRON:

I know one thing! I was impressed with Drew Southerland. He can throw the ball real well. I think he is underated. Southerland threw the ball better than any quarterback that Maryville faced.By far! If Baugh has a stronger arm than Southerland then he must have a cannon.

there is no way baugh has a stronger arm than southerland. i have played with both of them. dont get me wrong he is a nice qb but passing wise he doesnt compare to southerland.

who is steve spurrier? do you know? have you forgotten? do you think you know more about potential greatness in qbs. than he? come on people! wake-up! spurrier was very impressed with baugh at a qb camp in fla. he only saw one problem--5'11. also, why isn't southerland mentioned in 'football time in tenn'? why? why? why? don't tell me it's bias or that southerland is being overlooked. that's b.s. and you know it. even i would not question the master mind of qb quality.

Last time I checked...it's been about 30-40 years since Spurrier knew much about East Tennessee High School football. Did you talk to Spurrier personnaly? Did Spurrier come out and say...I think Cody Baugh of Greeneville High school is a better qb than Drew Southerland of Morristown West? Come off of it man. You say so much stuff that makes no since. This ranks right up there with the Maryville being compacent quote. If you want to know anything about Drew Southerland...ask maryville fans. They know football better than you will ever know. same as if you want to talk about carl stewart...ask some of the west guys who have tried to tackle him. I think it is great spurrier said good things about baugh...but he has not seen them both. I have seen them both, and i can honestly say that southerland is a better qb. for one...he has a rifle, 2)...he's been in this system for 4 years now. 3.) He has a better supporting cast. 4.) He knows what it takes to win, and win the big games. 5.) He has arguably the best head coach in all of east tennessee. Baugh has the approval of Steve Spurrier...who seen him in a camp...and has not seen him in a game situation. Last i checked...football is played in a game...not in a camp or combine. fbwiz...you are wrong...YET AGAIN!

Posted by REBELRON:

I know one thing! I was impressed with Drew Southerland. He can throw the ball real well. I think he is underated. Southerland threw the ball better than any quarterback that Maryville faced.By far! If Baugh has a stronger arm than Southerland then he must have a cannon.

REBELRON... he does not have as good of an arm...he's good, be he's not quite up to fbwiz scouting information. i think fbwiz is fooling us all...he really is an assistant for the Redskins. :rolleyes:

JHITE7, your argument sounds o.k., but you have one major fallacy--you are begging the question. address the claim. southerland is not recognized as the top qb in east tn, baugh is. this is not from me. why is this? you keep saying i'm wrong, but what you are really saying is the experts that promote individuals with talent like baugh are either ignorant or they are influenced by the individual's family contribution to the community. forget the ignorant claim. now, some athletes are overrated because of influential families. here is a good example: will newman, who gratuated from jeff.co. in 94, was one of the most overrated linemen in tn. he received several accolades as being the top linemen in tn. this was absurd. at best, he was o.k. he signed with u.t. and of course made no contribution whatsoever. his parents are very rich and powerful. now, getting to my point, baugh is from an average hard working family that has little if any significant influence in the community or state. so why is he rated as the top qb in east tn? he is the best, period.

[Edited by fbwiz on 8-15-02 11:54P]

In order to be the best...you have to beat the best. Baugh has not one a big game. Whether you want to believe this fact or not...Experts are wrong also at times. Just exactly like i said in one of my last posts. Experts are people who have opinions...except their's gets published. Baugh is a good quarterback, and is athletic. But you along with the rest of the experts are underrating Drew Southerland. I don't believe that Baugh is that overrated...he is not as good as being named the best, but he is good. Drew is VERY underrated. Drew has great pocket presence...good size...a very strong arm, and has been around this offense for 4 years now. But once again let me reiterate...Baugh does not have the supporting cast that Drew does, nor does he have the coaching that Drew does. you listen to much to the so-called "experts". The thing is...these experts have never been on the field with either one. Ask some of the people who have played against both...then tell me who's better. I wanna end this post with an example for ya....How many experts told the Indianapolis Colts that Ryan Leaf would be a better selection than Peyton Manning? Experts are human my friend. Listen to the players that have either played with Southerland or Baugh...let them tell you...not some men who watch football and make decisions and write magazines.

[Edited by JHITE7 on 8-16-02 11:33A]

nice argument, one of the better ones i've read on this site. i cannot evaluate my claim any further until the end of the season. having said that, did you watch w.southerland play? do you think he was as good as drew? why or why not?