McCallie vs Baylor

singlewing

Nick, That was an excellent post. And this comes from a Baylor grad from a few years ago. I just don't think people really "get" what an experience it really was. I don't know if Baylor will host it at home again next year or not...but I certainly hope so. But it was a tremendous amount of work that went into it but oh it was worth it. The only thing I disagree with is the outcome....so disappointing for the Baylor seniors especially. I will never forget that experience as well. I just wish you had written into the chattanoogan.com about you positive experience from a McCallie student. A McCallie parent wrote in putting Baylor down in it a few days ago. I agree this game is for the players and students. Thank you again Nick for the wonderful memories from last year......here's to breaking the streak though. Go Baylor!

where do i send it in to the chattanoogan? and i'm not nick moore, he was a senior when i was like a sophomore? i think, nick just said that quote to the school paper, and its one of those things that's stuck with me...but i appreciate you're positive imput

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rollredroll...I will get information for you on the 1973 national championship team. You probably know this but NFL all pro John Hannah and brother Charlie Hannah were on that team. I don't know if the site you are working on needs this kind of info...but I cut and pasted the following from Baylor's website. Thanks.

Fast Facts on Baylor Football

At least five noted college football coaches sent their sons to Baylor: Tennessee's Robert Neyland, Alabama's Frank Thomas and Red Drew, Ole Miss' Johnny Vaught, and Arkansas' Frank Broyles.

At least two Baylor players became college head football coaches. Herman Hickman was head coach of Yale from 1948-51, while Russ Faulkinberry was head coach at Southwestern Louisiana from 1961-73.

Baylor football teams have played opponents featuring such future pro stars as Fran Tarkenton, Paul Hornung, and Reggie White.

James B. Rike, the highly successful Baylor coach of the pre-World War II era, was an outstanding player at Ohio Wesleyan for a young and relatively unknown coach named Branch Rickey. Rickey went on to gain nationwide recognition in 1947 when, as president of the Brooklyn Dodgers, he broke the major league baseball color barrier by playing Jackie Robinson.

A former Baylor player once won the prestigious Outland Trophy, which is given to the outstanding interior lineman in college foootball. Army's Joe Steffy, a 1944 Baylor graduate, won the award in 1947, the second year it was given. While at West Point, he was a teammate of Heisman Trophy winners Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard.

And speaking of the Heisman, Baylor's outstanding halfback Eddie Prokop finished fifth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy in 1943 while starring for Georgia Tech.

jon26 (or any other Baylor fans),

I'm trying to get some information about Baylor's 1973 national championship team; specifically, the '73 schedule and results and a roster if available. The information would be placed here: Mythical High School National Champions. Thanks to anyone who can help.

As for this game, this series is similar to the MBA-Ryan series here in Nashville, where one team has dominated for about a decade in a series that historically has been pretty tight. McCallie has had some tough, heartbreaking losses this year, and Baylor has looked pretty decent in its losses. This could be Baylor's year, but it would be hard not to "ride the horse until its dead" if one were picking in this game.

Sorry about the name mistake. It was an excellent article. If you want to send it in just email it to news@chattanoogan.com and he will probably put it in the editorial section. Thanks again.

where do i send it in to the chattanoogan? and i'm not nick moore, he was a senior when i was like a sophomore? i think, nick just said that quote to the school paper, and its one of those things that's stuck with me...but i appreciate you're positive imput

Great post. I know there are few things on earth sweeter than beating Baylor at Baylor. Still hope it stays at Finley. Finley needs it and it accomodates so many more fans. It's a community deal.

If this game is a "community deal" as you claim, then talk to the public schools about playing Baylor and McCallie so that they don't have to go to Charlotte, Charlottesville, Atlanta and other cities just to fill out their schedules. They already make trips to Nashville as part of their region.

If the community feels so strongly about the "right" to see this game, then the community should play them too.

i graduated last year, and was able to play in last years game, as a former player i just have a few things to say about the venue of the game....nothing. nothing. and i mean NOTHING compared to last year, not even the state championship my junior year, when i was in the 6th grade i watched the last game at baylor until last year, it was amazing. and i walked away thinking i wanna play in a game like this...i will never ever forget the memories that were made there last year, never. the anticipation became an actual physical feeling for our team on wednesday, and typically it happened on friday...i will never forget the bus ride over to baylor, and walking off the bus and all these 5 and 6 year old kids surrounding the bus and high fiving us when we got off the bus, TWO HOURS before the game, i will never forget walking onto the field and the stands were already packed, and people were already cheering. that NEVER happened at finely...i will never forget getting dressed and feeling the crowd's noise in my feet, i will never forget the few plays i did make in the game, i will never forget walking out and having the crowd go insane, i mean ya at finely the students yelled, but the parents, and alumni and the little kids, they were all on their feet screaming...i will never forget looking across at the baylor people and seeing them yell....i will never forget how hard i prayed to God matt would make that kick, and i will never forget crying like a baby when he did thanking God. i know everyone wants to see the game...my grandparents wanted to see the game, they had tickets, but my granddad isnt the most mobile, so they couldnt come, it was a shame, but they watched it on TV, and i called em afterwards and they were so happy and proud...i wish they coulda been there, but thats the way things work sometimes...the game is about the players, never forget that. its not about the fans, its not the fans' right to see the game, but their privilege...i know baylor's "small" in all honesty its not, 3000 people saw that game live, and i know mccallie is too, but i was so happy about the game being at baylor, it made it 10x better...i wish mccallie would have the game at mccallie this friday, i hope baylor has it on campus next year...finely is cool but its a terrible place for a player to play, the stands are 50 feet off the sidelines and i just remember feeling sooooo detached from everyone who came to watch the game, my memories at finely are all good but they all run together, i can remember that game at baylor like it happened last night....that is my pitch to anyone and everyone who has any power with the venue of the game in the future, bring it back to campus, for the players, and for the feeling of the game

now, onto the upcoming game....i believe the streak will continue, jay fullam and john brock and jim makepeace wont let it end, these 3 guys have lived in the rivalry for years and years and years, jay's had 2 older brothers in this game, and johns had 3, jim's lived on campus forever...these men know what the streak means, i know it will be a tough game, and baylor has a good bit of talent, Sam Williams, he's pretty dadgum good so i've heard, i know brett murray's good...but i just dont see baylor winning...look out chattanooga, #11 is coming soon

"The only difference between mccallie and baylor is a mindset, every year baylor hopes to win, but mccallie EXPECTS to win" -nick moore

GREAT POST and a real interesting perspective. I have to agree the atmosphere was exciting last year. However, I have to disagree that the game is only for the players. It is bigger than just the players and the game would not be exciting at all if played in front of empty stands.

It is too bad both McCallie and Baylor don't have more seating capacity. There is enough money at both schools to expand.

Thank you for saying that! It would be so nice if Chattanooga teams would agree to play both schools so they don't have to go out of state as often as they do. I know that Tyner steps up to play McCallie and there has been a team or two play Baylor for a year or two just to drop them. I agree completely that if the Chattanooga community feels so strongly about the "right" to see the game.....then push your high school to play both schools as well.

If this game is a "community deal" as you claim, then talk to the public schools about playing Baylor and McCallie so that they don't have to go to Charlotte, Charlottesville, Atlanta and other cities just to fill out their schedules. They already make trips to Nashville as part of their region.

If the community feels so strongly about the "right" to see this game, then the community should play them too.

Thank you for saying that! It would be so nice if Chattanooga teams would agree to play both schools so they don't have to go out of state as often as they do. I know that Tyner steps up to play McCallie and there has been a team or two play Baylor for a year or two just to drop them. I agree completely that if the Chattanooga community feels so strongly about the "right" to see the game.....then push your high school to play both schools as well.

This is the wrong "Futball" for me , but Baylor by 3. Some Baylor Soccer player will kick the winning field goal with seconds to go.

And Bigred4life...the reason local teams will not play Baylor or McCallie is...?

I hope you are right. Last year we had a soccer player, Andrew Roden, that consistantly put the football in the endzone on kickoffs. He did not do field goals for some reason but on the one he did he kicked about a 40 yarder. This year we have another soccer player doing kickoffs and field goals. Tanner Taylor. He did them last year except for the one Roden kicked. Tanner has over a 40 yarder already this year.....soccer players kicking....the way to go.

As for the reason local teams will not play Baylor or McCallie.....I don't really know for sure. As for Baylor in recent years Boyd played us for I think four years but droped us from their schedule. East Ridge played us for two years but only if they could play both games at East Ridge. So we played both at ER. Central played us for two years to help celebrate a Central aniversary....but both played at Finley. The Red Bank coach openly came out in the paper last year that it would not help them to play Baylor because of the closeness of the schools. I really did not get that one because Red Bank is such a football tradition. But he seemed to think they had nothing to gain and only could lose in that situation.

As for McCallie....at least Tyner has stepped up and continually plays them. They would have to fill you in on the rest.

MVM, so I will leave it with you. You are a Soddy Daisy guy.....the reason local teams will not play Baylor is McCallie is....?

This is the wrong "Futball" for me , but Baylor by 3. Some Baylor Soccer player will kick the winning field goal with seconds to go.

And Bigred4life...the reason local teams will not play Baylor or McCallie is...?

I agree 100%. I am a long time Owl fan because I live in the community. I do not have children in school but I still follow them when they travel. I love and support high school football. What better match up and rivalry could be between the private and public sector than those two schools taking on Ooltewah and maybe one other community powerhouse team. The Owls only play 9 games, why not play those two. I have heard it is because the Owl principle won't allow it because those schools recruit. I do not want to put words in his mouth if that is not true, but if it is true... why did we get Caldwell and Marshall from McCallie and according to one of the other posts I saw last week... Reed from Baylor?

I say we keep Hamilton County money in Hamilton County. Heaven knows are public schools need it. And I am sure the parents of the private school kids could use a break as well.

GO OWLS!!!

BattleCat, you are right. Far from all private school parents have "money". They could use the break as well like you said. I will not get into the recruiting area....you will never be able to convince those that don't want to believe otherwise. So, I will leave that area for the public vs private board. I would not go into Reed leaving Baylor for Ooltewah except that his father has addressed it already on the boards. It has been mentioned that he left because Coach Massey's son was QB....well he was. But he graduated last year and that was not the reason. As Mr. Reed has addressed it was finances....something we all understand all too well especially now. It was not because they wanted to leave Baylor....just the circumstances. Ooltewah has a great football program and I wish him all the success there. Great family. Wouldn't Ooltewah vs Baylor and/or McCallie be a great rivalry? Probably will not happen though.

I agree 100%. I am a long time Owl fan because I live in the community. I do not have children in school but I still follow them when they travel. I love and support high school football. What better match up and rivalry could be between the private and public sector than those two schools taking on Ooltewah and maybe one other community powerhouse team. The Owls only play 9 games, why not play those two. I have heard it is because the Owl principle won't allow it because those schools recruit. I do not want to put words in his mouth if that is not true, but if it is true... why did we get Caldwell and Marshall from McCallie and according to one of the other posts I saw last week... Reed from Baylor?

I say we keep Hamilton County money in Hamilton County. Heaven knows are public schools need it. And I am sure the parents of the private school kids could use a break as well.

GO OWLS!!!

all 4 of my highschool years as a football player (the last 4 seasons) i wanted to play red bank, or ooltewah...because all the papers claimed that they were the best in chattanooga...that could've been true, but i wanted to play them to either prove, or disprove this statement, we can sit here and say red bank would be mccallie or ooltewah would lose or whatever it is your opinion is but we never knew, remember the ooltewah team that went undefeated a couple years back, and the mccallie team that had BJ? well i do, i also remember ooltewah losing in the playoffs, and i was on the sidelines when i saw us lose to brentwood academy in the state championship...i bring this up simply because one of mccallie's games that year we played a team from S.C. they were said to be like the 3a state champs in South Carolina, but they were awful, i was a backup on that team and saw significant playing time in that game. how amazing would it have been if mccallie didnt play the team from south carolina and instead played a pretty good ooltewah team? one team woulda won and one woulda lost, but they both woulda been tested, and more prepared for the post season...it would've drawn sooooo many fans to finely or to mccallie or to ooltewah, both schools woulda made some money and also both woulda gotten some good experience that woulda been valuable in the post season...i remember before that season started we (mccallie) played Red Bank in that krystal kickoff scrimage thing, it was 20 min of running clock. it was fun, but a joke...the following year Red Bank did the same thing against baylor...i dont know facts for sure, but all i HEARD and this is word of mouth, is that ooltewah wouldnt play us because they didnt want to lose their good players to mccallie's recruiting ways...i personally havent ever seen a case of us recruiting, but i'm not denying that it could happen, but you would think that if ooltewah played mccallie and won, then why would any of thier players want to come to mccallie? same for baylor? i have heard rumors of baylor recruiting, but i wont get into that because i dont know any facts for sure...personally i think it would be great if mccallie got to play ooltewah, or red bank, or hixon, or soddy, or somebody from around town....please public schools, i dont know whether its a lack of guts, or just them not wanting to, but it would help the chattanooga community and it would also better chattanooga football as a whole

all 4 of my highschool years as a football player (the last 4 seasons) i wanted to play red bank, or ooltewah...because all the papers claimed that they were the best in chattanooga...that could've been true, but i wanted to play them to either prove, or disprove this statement, we can sit here and say red bank would be mccallie or ooltewah would lose or whatever it is your opinion is but we never knew, remember the ooltewah team that went undefeated a couple years back, and the mccallie team that had BJ? well i do, i also remember ooltewah losing in the playoffs, and i was on the sidelines when i saw us lose to brentwood academy in the state championship...i bring this up simply because one of mccallie's games that year we played a team from S.C. they were said to be like the 3a state champs in South Carolina, but they were awful, i was a backup on that team and saw significant playing time in that game. how amazing would it have been if mccallie didnt play the team from south carolina and instead played a pretty good ooltewah team? one team woulda won and one woulda lost, but they both woulda been tested, and more prepared for the post season...it would've drawn sooooo many fans to finely or to mccallie or to ooltewah, both schools woulda made some money and also both woulda gotten some good experience that woulda been valuable in the post season...i remember before that season started we (mccallie) played Red Bank in that krystal kickoff scrimage thing, it was 20 min of running clock. it was fun, but a joke...the following year Red Bank did the same thing against baylor...i dont know facts for sure, but all i HEARD and this is word of mouth, is that ooltewah wouldnt play us because they didnt want to lose their good players to mccallie's recruiting ways...i personally havent ever seen a case of us recruiting, but i'm not denying that it could happen, but you would think that if ooltewah played mccallie and won, then why would any of thier players want to come to mccallie? same for baylor? i have heard rumors of baylor recruiting, but i wont get into that because i dont know any facts for sure...personally i think it would be great if mccallie got to play ooltewah, or red bank, or hixon, or soddy, or somebody from around town....please public schools, i dont know whether its a lack of guts, or just them not wanting to, but it would help the chattanooga community and it would also better chattanooga football as a whole

I know it would never happen, but how awesome would it be to see a Chattanooga playoff. All the teams from Hamilton County and its surrounding areas. Then you would have Ooltewah, McCallie, Baylor, Red Bank, South Pittsburg, Tyner, Boyd, Soddy, Cleveland, Dalton, LFO, the list goes on. Think of how packed all of those games would be.

To answer you last statement.... it is POLITICS and EGOs that are keeping the boys from playing. All schools recruit. Each public school has a different academy that only they offer so students can transfer. Look at Red Bank's last baseball team... led by two kids who did not get along with the Owl coach. Let's say end to politics and PLAY BALL!!!

I pull for Ooltewah and ANY Hamilton County school playing an outsider. It is all about HOMETOWN PRIDE!