State Finals

ru4mocs

I had noticed that UTC had Men & Women's basketball games on Saturday, Feb. 21. I wrote to the TSSAA and asked them about the conflict on dates.

The wrestling tournament has moved its dates: February 18,19,20

Mark

Mark Reeves

Assistant Executive Director

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had noticed that UTC had Men & Women's basketball games on Saturday, Feb. 21. I wrote to the TSSAA and asked them about the conflict on dates.

The wrestling tournament has moved its dates: February 18,19,20

Mark

Mark Reeves

Assistant Executive Director

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

Great...more time off of work, siblings miss the matches, fewer people to attend. Makes sense to me.

Great...more time off of work, siblings miss the matches, fewer people to attend. Makes sense to me.

I agree. Such a great tourney, and unfair to the wrestlers when their families may not be able to attend. I'll bet no one has checked other venues. I may be reading this wrong (see link below), but Murphy Center at MTSU looks promising for the original dates. Anyone from the TSSAA want to investigate?

http://resc25wv.mtsu.edu/wv3/wv3_servlet/u...bdviewmode=grid

I agree. Such a great tourney, and unfair to the wrestlers when their families may not be able to attend. I'll bet no one has checked other venues. I may be reading this wrong (see link below), but Murphy Center at MTSU looks promising for the original dates. Anyone from the TSSAA want to investigate?

http://resc25wv.mtsu.edu/wv3/wv3_servlet/u...bdviewmode=grid

MTSU has a home Men's basketball game on the 19th.

What locks it in, is that there are a group of people and the resources to run that tourney right there in Chattanooga. We can all say it can be done, but the odds of pulling it off as professionally and timely is small. Also the core fans are in Chatt.

Wrestling one of the few state tourneys in the Black. What is surprising is that TSSAA BB tourneys are struggling with finances at the state.

Now I am new to the state and TN wrestling, but here's a thought: What about the Pyramid in Memphis? No one plays there any more and it holds around 17,000 or so I have been told. Like I said I am new to the state and live in the Memphis area, but wouldn't that venue be a good place to hold a state tournament?

It makes perfect sense to hold it in the pyramid. That's why it wont happen. Certain people are convinced that if the state tournament took place somewhere else, it would be a disaster.

I wish the state finals would rotate each year. Chatt, Memphis, Knoxville, Middle TN (Nashville or Murf).

The Municiple Auditorium in Nashville is another place that would be perfect for finals. It's got plenty of room, there are dozens of hotels around, places to eat. Same with Memphis. That's a huge city with plenty of hotels and resteraunts nearby. I'm not familiar with Knoxville but I'm sure a case can be made for it too. Chattanooga is not the only city capable of hosting the tournament.

It makes perfect sense to hold it in the pyramid. That's why it wont happen. Certain people are convinced that if the state tournament took place somewhere else, it would be a disaster.

I wish the state finals would rotate each year. Chatt, Memphis, Knoxville, Middle TN (Nashville or Murf).

The Municiple Auditorium in Nashville is another place that would be perfect for finals. It's got plenty of room, there are dozens of hotels around, places to eat. Same with Memphis. That's a huge city with plenty of hotels and resteraunts nearby. I'm not familiar with Knoxville but I'm sure a case can be made for it too. Chattanooga is not the only city capable of hosting the tournament.

To me, Nashville is the most logical place, it's center of the state. I'm from Memphis, and still believe Nashville is the fairest place for all. Although the refs can be a bit biased there (ha ha)

The location of the tournament does not make it successful, it's the people running the tournament. And those same people could run it just as well in Nashville

This will be my first season as a high school wrestling parent. Hopefully, my son will be able to participate in a state tournament. I think rotating it from Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Memphis would be the best thing for everyone.

I know here in Knoxville, we have Thompson Boiling and Stokley on UT's campus and The Civic Coliseum.

This will be my first season as a high school wrestling parent. Hopefully, my son will be able to participate in a state tournament. I think rotating it from Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Memphis would be the best thing for everyone.

I know here in Knoxville, we have Thompson Boiling and Stokley on UT's campus and The Civic Coliseum.

I think Chattanooga (McKenzie Arena) has proven to be a wonderful venue. Because UTC wrestling and the TSSAA State wrestling tournament currently share the same piece of dirt,,,,and a solid tradition has been established,,,,I think more should be done to safe-guard the dates and location of the tournament. Moving the venue is not the answer (this scenario could happen anywhere),,,, not moving the dates is the solution.

If that??™s just not possible,,,,,Murfreesboro may very well be the best location for the State (wings and a beer at Toots sounds pretty good). However, bouncing from one city to the next each year (Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Murfreesboro, etc??¦.) sounds like Russian roulette, and years of growing pains. As I see it,,,,if one City (or more) does a horrible job of running this tournament,,,, it will be 4-5 years later before they get another shot at doing it right. In stead of a solution,,,we may very well have more problems??¦?

CC

I think Chattanooga (McKenzie Arena) has proven to be a wonderful venue. Because UTC wrestling and the TSSAA State wrestling tournament currently share the same piece of dirt,,,,and a solid tradition has been established,,,,I think more should be done to safe-guard the dates and location of the tournament. Moving the venue is not the answer (this scenario could happen anywhere),,,, not moving the dates is the solution.

If that??™s just not possible,,,,,Murfreesboro may very well be the best location for the State (wings and a beer at Toots sounds pretty good). However, bouncing from one city to the next each year (Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Murfreesboro, etc??¦.) sounds like Russian roulette, and years of growing pains. As I see it,,,,if one City (or more) does a horrible job of running this tournament,,,, it will be 4-5 years later before they get another shot at doing it right. In stead of a solution,,,we may very well have more problems??¦?

CC

just curious? What part of the state are you from?