Riverdale vs Siegel

MVM

The common opponent would be Blackman.

Correct, the common opponent would indeed be Blackman. To be honest, I have seen Siegel play more this year than R'dale so I have had more opportunities to see them on good days and not-so-good days. Had I seen R'dale as much, I might have a different impression.

I don't know if Riverdale has the speed covered. I do believe Siegel has some pretty quick girls with good footskills in the middle. This game should be interesting consdering many of the girls played on select teams together and know how to play each other.

Hence the advantage to Siegel in the middle third. I did not mean to imply that there was not quickness on the Siegel team. Riverdale made Blackman look slow across the field. Siegel made Blackman look slow only at spots on the field.

I am only speaking to the district game. Personally, I believe that Siegels strength of schedule will take them deeper into state than R'dale, even though I am hoping both make it as far as possible.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeperfan,

Their other common opponent is Baylor. In the Siegel / Baylor game, Siegel scored the first goal. The score going into the last 20 min of the game was 2-2, I believe. Baylor scored 2 goals, after the Siegel keeper went down with a knee injury. Baylor 4, Siegel 2. In the Riverdale /Baylor game, Riverdale dodged a couple of bullets in the first half that should have had Baylor up 2-0 going into the half. Riverdale was never a serious threat to Baylor??™s defense. Baylor scored in the second half. Baylor controlled the majority of the game. Baylor 1, Riverdale 0. I agree, the Riverdale / Siegel game should be one to watch. Let??™s see how Riverdale handles (or doesn??™t handle) Franklin and Hendersonvile first.

Keeperfan,

Their other common opponent is Baylor. In the Siegel / Baylor game, Siegel scored the first goal. The score going into the last 20 min of the game was 2-2, I believe. Baylor scored 2 goals, after the Siegel keeper went down with a knee injury. Baylor 4, Siegel 2. In the Riverdale /Baylor game, Riverdale dodged a couple of bullets in the first half that should have had Baylor up 2-0 going into the half. Riverdale was never a serious threat to Baylor??™s defense. Baylor scored in the second half. Baylor controlled the majority of the game. Baylor 1, Riverdale 0. I agree, the Riverdale / Siegel game should be one to watch. Let??™s see how Riverdale handles (or doesn??™t handle) Franklin and Hendersonvile first.

HHSoccer,

True,true, true. I'm just trying to see if what I thought I saw about the speed difference between the two is what I saw.

What was your perception with regard to speed between the two against Baylor?

Looks like R'dale 1 - 1 Hendersonville. Can anyone from Hendersonville give their perception of the speed difference between Siegel and Riverdale?

Please understand that all of this is conjecture for one game anyway.

My thinking was that Blackman offered a good comparison for the two teams at that point in time. Blackman personnel was the same for both games with no significant injuries, and the two games were just 8 days apart with each team coming off at least two days of rest. Syd was back in goal for Siegel, and R'dale was at full strength as well. The Blaze ran a low pressure 5-4-1 against both to counter the speed. The major difference was that in the R'dale game, the halftime score was 5-0 while the Siegel halftime score was 1-0. Blackman shifted to a 4-4-2 with about 15 left against R'dale, but came out at half in the 3-4-3 against Siegel. The Blaze had opportunities against Siegel, but not so much against the R'dale starters. R'dale final 6-1, Siegel final 4-1.

Another common opponent, Hendersonville. Siegel beat Hendersonville early in the season 1-0.

First half went mostly Riverdales way. Scored early, then had shot after shot but didn't finish. Second half went mostly Hendersonvilles way, Scored early to tie the game and was the more energetic of the two. Fairly physical game, the center ref didn't call much either way, the AR's called more than he did. Hope Ashley and Sarah can recover from their injuries before the Franklin game.

First half went mostly Riverdales way. Scored early, then had shot after shot but didn't finish. Second half went mostly Hendersonvilles way, Scored early to tie the game and was the more energetic of the two. Fairly physical game, the center ref didn't call much either way, the AR's called more than he did. Hope Ashley and Sarah can recover from their injuries before the Franklin game.

Hate to here that about Ashley and Sarah. Thoughts and prayers on speedy recoveries.

I saw the game as well and think Hendersonville is a team that plays better than their record but feel Riverdale must take advantage of scoring opportunities if they plan to advance far in the state. Hendersonville was more physical then Riverdale through out the game and Riverdale MUST learn to answer that.

I saw the game as well and think Hendersonville is a team that plays better than their record but feel Riverdale must take advantage of scoring opportunities if they plan to advance far in the state. Hendersonville was more physical then Riverdale through out the came and Riverdale MUST learn to answer that.

What does that mean exactly, being "more physical". I was under the impression that soccer was a game of speed and skill.

HHSoccer,

True,true, true. I'm just trying to see if what I thought I saw about the speed difference between the two is what I saw.

What was your perception with regard to speed between the two against Baylor?

Looks like R'dale 1 - 1 Hendersonville. Can anyone from Hendersonville give their perception of the speed difference between Siegel and Riverdale?

Please understand that all of this is conjecture for one game anyway.

My thinking was that Blackman offered a good comparison for the two teams at that point in time. Blackman personnel was the same for both games with no significant injuries, and the two games were just 8 days apart with each team coming off at least two days of rest. Syd was back in goal for Siegel, and R'dale was at full strength as well. The Blaze ran a low pressure 5-4-1 against both to counter the speed. The major difference was that in the R'dale game, the halftime score was 5-0 while the Siegel halftime score was 1-0. Blackman shifted to a 4-4-2 with about 15 left against R'dale, but came out at half in the 3-4-3 against Siegel. The Blaze had opportunities against Siegel, but not so much against the R'dale starters. R'dale final 6-1, Siegel final 4-1.

Siegel showed more speed against Baylor than Riverdale did. Baylor is not an exceptionally fast team, they make up for it with passing, foot skills, and strong shots from outside the 18. You??™re right, when Siegel played Blackman, Blackman played not to loose during the first half by packing the box (5-4-1), which gave them little chance to score. When the shifted to the 3-4-3 in the second half, Siegel beat them with better passing and speed.

Riverdale will have a much tougher time with Franklin. Franklin plays VERY physical, so Riverdale will need to be at full strength and match their physical play, to stay in the game. I would predict Franklin ??“ 3, Riverdale??¦.maybe 1, depending on their injury situation.

What does that mean exactly, being "more physical". I was under the impression that soccer was a game of speed and skill.

That means if the ref is going to let the game get physical you have to be able to play tough. For example: not get knocked off a 50/50 ball or not let the other team force you out of bounds. (not saying all this happened during this game) It explains itself if you've been around any type of sports.