Week 6 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Week 6 Big games in Memphis are as follows:

MUS (D2-2A West) vs Cookville (3-5A): @ MUS

Both are 5-0 comming into this game. Last year Cookville won in OT in Cookville. There is already a thread on this game so I will just go with my pick.

Pick: MUS

Ridgeway (7-5A) vs Cordova (7-5A): @ Halle

Both of these teams are 5-1 comming into this game with undefeated region records. Cordova's lone loss came to ECS at the beginning of the year by a score of 21-12. Ridgeway's lone loss was a 31-7 thumping at the hands of CBHS at the beginning of the year. Since then, each team has reeled off five straight victories ... albiet vs common weak region opponents mostly ... Memphis Central, Bolton, Arlington, and Memphis Overton. I've noticed that Ridgeway has been the more dominant in their victories agaisnt these opponents then Cordova ... significantly in some cases. Both teams still have to face Craigmont and Millington, but this is a pivitol game for post season play.

Pick: Ridgeway

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs Briarcrest (D2-2A West): @ CBHS

CBHS is 5-1; 0-1 in region play with it's lone loss a 21-14 defeat at the hands of MUS. Last week, I listened to a portion of the CBHS game on the radio and they played last weeks game with their 3rd string QB because the starter and the 2nd string QB's were injured. I came away impressed at the outcome. Briarecrest's is under the leadership of a new head coach who has done a fine job thus far, but change has its affects. Their two losses came by the hands of BGA and USJ ... with the USJ loss being a blow out at 48-12. I don't think Briarcrest has the horses for this game either.

Pick: CBHS

Houston (8-5A) vs Collierville (8-5A): @ Collierville

Houston is 5-0 comming into this game. Their closest margin of victory was the 21-7 win at Bolton in the second game of the season. They have poured it on in every game since. Granted, none of Houstons opponents have winning records, in fact, the combined record of Houston's opponents is 3-21. Collierville, on the other hand is currently 2-3 with losses to Germantown, Whitehaven, and Millington. Collierville 2 wins were blowouts over 7-5A opponents Central and Memphis Overton. Needless to say, at this stage, Collierville is on the outside looking in. If Collierville loses this game, they are staring playoff elimination in the face; if they win, they still have a fighting chance. Houston needs this win to position itself for region supremecy. They don't want to lose to Collierville and then have o face Whitehaven the following week after a loss like that. This is a pivital 8-5A game. Region 8-5A has a lot of deciding games left to be played. I'm going with my gut on this one.

Pick: Collierville

Fairley (8-4A) vs Kingsbury (8-4A): @ J.P. Freeman

Fairley is 4-2 currently with losses to Whitehaven and Memphis East ... and both were close games. Kingsbury is currently 3-3 with losses to MUS, Melrose, and Germantown. All three of those losses were by large margins. The RB supreme is back in action @ Kingsbury, Mr. Gabriel Hunter. He gained 150 yards last week against Germantown, but it wasn't enough last week, and he won't be enough tonight. Fairley already has a region loss to Memphis East ... they can't afford another.

Pick: Fairley

Kirby (8-5A) vs White Station (8-5A): @ Fairgrounds

This is a very intruiging game. Kirby is currently 5-0, 2-0 in region play. Those wins are over 8-5A doormats Hamilton and Wooddale. This is significant due to the fact that Kirby was 1-9 last year. This year ... Kirby is putting points on the board. Their clossest margin of victory was the Haywood County game which was a 30-21 victory. The young men at Kirby are learning how to win and it is all due to their new head coach Chester Flowers. My hat is off to him. Yet, it can't be ignored, Kirby hasn't really faced any stiff competition to date. YES ... they are doing decidedly better then last year ... a whole lot better ... but they haven't faced a really good quality team. They face one tonight.

White Station, on the other hand is 2-3 on the season. Looking at their record alone will fool you. Closer inspection is needed. White Station has played murders row this season ... there isn't a cupcake on their schedule except for the two 8-5A doormats, Hamilton and Wooddale, who they have not played yet. White Station is also under a new head coach, coach Rutherford, and he has struggled to get his team W's ... but if you notice ... all of their losses are close ... against good competition (CBHS, Whitehaven, Fairley). WSHS is better then what folk think they are. They are 1-1 in region play with a loss to Whitehaven and a win over Germantown (4-1 on the season). White Station is an enigma. If you sleep on them, you will be sorry. I don't know the toll this rocky season has put on the White Station players ... but they still have a legitamite shot to be in the playoffs.

I really don't know who to pick in this one. Honestly ... I like the Kirby story ... from bottom of the heap to contender, but I can't ignore White Station's battle testedness. I'm going with my gut yet again.

Pick: White Station

Well ... that does it for me. Last week, I went 3-3 ... not good and not bad, I wonder how I will do this week. Jump on in folks, the water is fine!

I didn't mention the South Panola (University of S.P.) vs Olive Branch game because I didn't think all of Tenneessee would care. I think the Memphis folk will take an interest. I think South Panola wins this game. I just hope that O.B. keeps it close. South Panola, for those who don't know, have the nations current longest winning streak at 80 games in a row, which is the thrid best ever. The next in line is Tennessee's very own Maryville @ 66 in a row, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Pick: South Panola

I agree with all your picks but one. I think Houston will beat Collierville. The Dragons may be reeling from their last two weeks. Houston has been waiting on this game to prove they can play. This is also a rivalry game. Should be some hard hittin and lots of fun.

I went back and forth over this game actually. I just think that a Collierville win will just muddy the 8-5A playoff seeding waters even more. Collierville has their back to the wall and I don't think they have played up to their capabilities. I agree ... I think that Houston wants to win this game just to prove they are legit. With this being a neighborhood rivalry ... you throw records out of the window.

Week 6 Big games in Memphis are as follows:

MUS (D2-2A West) vs Cookville (3-5A): @ MUS

Pick: MUS

Ridgeway (7-5A) vs Cordova (7-5A): @ Halle

Pick: Ridgeway

CBHS (D2-2A West) vs Briarcrest (D2-2A West): @ CBHS

Pick: CBHS

Houston (8-5A) vs Collierville (8-5A): @ Collierville

Pick: Collierville

Fairley (8-4A) vs Kingsbury (8-4A): @ J.P. Freeman

Pick: Fairley

Kirby (8-5A) vs White Station (8-5A): @ Fairgrounds

Pick: White Station

South Panola (University of S.P.) vs Olive Branch

Pick: South Panola

MUS vs Cookville ... I picked MUS, MUS won 42-0 ... 1 for me

Ridgeway vs Cordova ... I picked Ridgeway, Cordova won 24-0 ... 1 I missed

CBHS vs Briarcrest ... I picked CBHS, Briarcrest won 26-15 ... 2 I missed

Houston vs Collierville ... I picked Collierville, Collierville won 24-0 ... 2 for me

Fairley vs Kingsbury ... I picked Fairley, Fairley won 27-22 ... 3 for me

Kirby vs White Station ... I picked White Station, White Station won 42-6 ... 4 for me

South Panola vs Olive Branch, I picked South Panola, South Panola won 21-13 ... 5 for me

All in all I went 5-2 this week ... not bad if I do say so myself, but I have to admit ... I didn't anticipate many of the scores ... like MUS over Cookville by 42 points. I just didn't see Cookville being totally dominated like they were. Then there were the 24-0 shut outs by Cordova over Ridgeway and Collierville over Houston ... WOW!

I read in the paper where the head coach for Kirby disciplined FIVE of his starters in the White Station game ... but still ... losing 42-6 ... man! I do believe benching those starters for the game HURT! ... BUT ... my hat is off to the coach for benching them and allowing his team to see what happens when important players on the team violate team rules. Kudo's to coach Flowers ... it will pay off in the long run ... especially in those young mens lives ... they have to realize that they are part of something bigger then just themselves and what they do ... ON and OFF the field, affects more then just them. Their team mates suffered as a result of the actions of a few. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I hope they learned their lesson. This time ... it was just a GAME they didn't get to participate in ... in life ... it's not just a game you might miss.

...I read in the paper where the head coach for Kirby disciplined FIVE of his starters in the White Station game ... but still ... losing 42-6 ... man! I do believe benching those starters for the game HURT! ... BUT ... my hat is off to the coach for benching them and allowing his team to see what happens when important players on the team violate team rules. Kudo's to coach Flowers ... it will pay off in the long run ... especially in those young mens lives ... they have to realize that they are part of something bigger then just themselves and what they do ... ON and OFF the field, affects more then just them. Their team mates suffered as a result of the actions of a few. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I hope they learned their lesson. This time ... it was just a GAME they didn't get to participate in ... in life ... it's not just a game you might miss.

Kwc,

Those are my sentiments, exactly!

-----------------------------------------------------

These kids need to learn that there consequences to their actions. You absolutely will be held accountable for your bad deeds, regardless of your "stature" or "positon" in society.

It's better that they learn those important lessons NOW (for free)....football games pale in comparison to the life lesson that Coach Flowers taught those kids, by suspending them. Hopefully those kids learned from their mistakes.

I tip my hat to Coach Flowers. He's obviously more concerned about his players' development into productive and law abiding citizens, than he is about wins and losses....We need more coaches like him.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I attended that Kirby - White Station game. I'm not so sure that those 5 players would have changed the outcome of the game..... White Station absolutely manhandled Kirby, in ALL phases of the game.

Kwc,

Those are my sentiments, exactly!

-----------------------------------------------------

These kids need to learn that there consequences to their actions. You absolutely will be held accountable for your bad deeds, regardless of your "stature" or "positon" in society.

It's better that they learn those important lessons NOW (for free)....football games pale in comparison to the life lesson that Coach Flowers taught those kids, by suspending them. Hopefully those kids learned from their mistakes.

I tip my hat to Coach Flowers. He's obviously more concerned about his players' development into productive and law abiding citizens, than he is about wins and losses....We need more coaches like him.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I attended that Kirby - White Station game. I'm not so sure that those 5 players would have changed the outcome of the game vs White Station..... White Station absolutely manhandled Kirby, in ALL phases of the game.

It has been my experience that losing indiviuals on a team sport could have dire consequences if you lose KEY people. I don't know who the young men were ... but it DOES affect the team. We will have no way of knowing how much though.

It has been my experience that losing indiviuals on a team sport could have dire consequences if you lose KEY people. I don't know who the young men were ... but it DOES affect the team. We will have no way of knowing how much though.

They'll get their chance at redemption this week, vs Germantown.

We shall see...