Question regarding red card

chasanooga

In the Bearden vs Notre Dame JV game, the ND keeper was given a red card for touching the ball outside of the box. The ND keeper was coming out hard to beat the forward to the ball and she slid out of the box in the process. Anyway the referee determined that it was a intentional hand ball because she was the last person in the line of the defense. She had to leave the game with ND playing with 10 players and Bearden was awarded a free kick (they did not score). I am not questioning the call but does anyone know what the rules say regarding this young lady? Does she have to sit out 1 game 2 games? Does this carry over to varsity games or does it just count on JV games? There are no more JV games left on the schedule and this girl is a senior (and senior night is two games away). Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Bearden vs Notre Dame JV game, the ND keeper was given a red card for touching the ball outside of the box. The ND keeper was coming out hard to beat the forward to the ball and she slid out of the box in the process. Anyway the referee determined that it was a intentional hand ball because she was the last person in the line of the defense. She had to leave the game with ND playing with 10 players and Bearden was awarded a free kick (they did not score). I am not questioning the call but does anyone know what the rules say regarding this young lady? Does she have to sit out 1 game 2 games? Does this carry over to varsity games or does it just count on JV games? There are no more JV games left on the schedule and this girl is a senior (and senior night is two games away). Any help would be appreciated.

Was Olivia playing keeper, or was it Victoria ? (Sorry, had to miss the game)...

well by NFHS rules, "an attempt to deny or to deny a goal" is a disquailfication (red card). If she's a senior why would she be playing JV? or would it be an attempt to get around the system to make her sit out a few JV games which she doesn't play anyways?

As per TSSAA, she must sit out two contests in the level she was competing. ie. varsity/ jv. Since it was a Varsity match she must sit two varsity games. Not one JV and one Varsity, but two of the same caliber

She has to sit out two games at the level the card occured (JV) and cannot compete in any other games in the same sport until she has completed the suspension. There is also a sportsmanship form that has to be filled out by the player, parents and principal and then faxed to the TSSAA. I have unfortunately had to do this once this year.

well by NFHS rules, "an attempt to deny or to deny a goal" is a disquailfication (red card). Since it was a Varsity match she must sit two varsity games. Not one JV and one Varsity, but two of the same caliber

It was a JV match, (she is the backup goalie on varsity) there are only 2 varsity games left (regular season) on the schedule.

well by NFHS rules, "an attempt to deny or to deny a goal" is a disquailfication (red card). If she's a senior why would she be playing JV? or would it be an attempt to get around the system to make her sit out a few JV games which she doesn't play anyways?

As per TSSAA, she must sit out two contests in the level she was competing. ie. varsity/ jv. Since it was a Varsity match she must sit two varsity games. Not one JV and one Varsity, but two of the same caliber

It was a JV match in which the red card occurred. It was also the last JV match of the season. She is a good goalie (one of 3 that ND has this year), but she had a terrible injury at the beginning of last season that cost her the full year. Nobody wants to break any rules, but people are wondering if she can start (like a senior usually does) on senior night.

I have never seen this situation with the red card in a JV game and how it affects a varsity game....so I can't add anything on the outcome here. I know rules are rules but I really hope in this case it does not carry over to senior night. That is such a special night for seniors and with what you said DonCChatt about her injury last year...that would be a tough blow for her. I will read this thread for the outcome and sincerely hope for the best for the Irish player.

It was a JV match in which the red card occurred. It was also the last JV match of the season. She is a good goalie (one of 3 that ND has this year), but she had a terrible injury at the beginning of last season that cost her the full year. Nobody wants to break any rules, but people are wondering if she can start (like a senior usually does) on senior night.

You can try appealing the card to the TSSAA. Good luck with that. I have not seen them overturn one yet, including one where the ref. was obviously wrong and it was on video. They can start her, but would have to forfeit the game and pay a fine for using an ineligible(suspended) player. I hate that this happened to the young lady.

Typically the varsity game immediately after does not count as one of the two games due to the fact you have not held your sportmanship meeting as required by the TSSAA. The best I can advise is call them and appeal. It will cost $50.00 to file the appeal and it has to come from the school.

See and I'll tell you that why the appeals don't go through is because people try to appeal things that fall under "in the judgement of the referee". Now say they substituted the girl who got the red card and the girl that subbed scored the game winner. Then you can protest. But it's tough to argue decisions by the referee in terms of judgement.

Referee's cannot set aside rules because it's going to be senior night in two games or it's the region semi-finals. Rules are written by coaches and enforced by officials. But i still hate it for the girl