9AA

NumbersDontLie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think lack of response means no one knows what is going to happen in this district. If you had asked me 9 months ago, I would have said East Lit easily will have this district. The newcomers that literally bullied their way through the district last year, with some sweet three point shooting on the permiter. I still think East Lit has the physicallity. Hume Fogg is also very physical. I think CPA and Ezell are re-building. FRA will have a player or two that makes a difference. Lipscomb will be the question. While only one of the seniors has seen time as a starter at varsity, the rest of the girls have been playing together for years. I think chemistry and confidence will be the key for DL. They were very successful at the end of camp season. They started clicking, and ended up having a run at UT's very tough team camp.

I know that with most of the privates and magnets, the girls have been playing volleyball, soccer, running cross-country, etc... Practices are just starting. I think this could end up being an exciting year in 9AA. I've said it before, and will say it again. Will the refs allow this be to street ball, or will they control the games? If they let it get physical, East Lit and Hume Fogg will have no competition. If they control the games, DL and Pearl-Cohn will be strong. Last year sometimes felt more like football vs. basketball.

It will be interesting... I'm ready for some 9AA basketball. Good luck to all, and hope for no serious injuries this year. There are players that graduated last year still living with the the injuries they incurred last season (concussions, back injuries, etc...). I pray that all the former players recover from the surgeries and injuries that have plagued them into college, and there are several. Let's all pray the seniors this year go to college injury-free, and with good memories of their last year playing basketball together.

East Lit will probably have their best team in school history for what that's worth. The key to the season will be how well they handle their non district schedule. This team has arguably the most tallent they have ever had. However, this team has the hardest schedule in school history X2. This team should make the region. They definitely believe in themselves after last year's run. After that it is anybody's guess.

I think this year the first place team will have at least four losses. The league will have much more parity than last year. Hume-Fogg will be good this year as will Pearl Cohn. I give the edge to Hume-Fogg. Lipscomb will always be Lipscomb. They might be better if they don't have to rely on one player to do everything this year. Ezell, CPA and FRA will be able to compete with what they have based on coaching and having a system. MLK is where East lit used to be. They are looking for that one win that will get them over the (winning) hump and give them some confidence.

The comments about streetball and the refs taking control are blown out of proportion. All teams have to adjust to the way officials call the game. If the officiating crew is weak a game can become rough, physical or even Helter Skelter in pace. The kids in the metro schools can get out of control sometimes, so can the kids at other schools. I have seen some of the plays that have been criticised in the past and most of them are nothing more than kids playing hard.

This will be an entertaining year in 9AA. Good luck to everyone

9AA will be the place to watch everyone beating everyone else, at least early in the season. How the teams mature will determine the tournament success.

East lit will be tough as will Hume Fogg-but these are not dominating teams and can be beat by many of the second tier teams. I pick Lipscomb as the surprise team and will be one of the tougher teams despite losing so many good players. Pearl Cohn lost a lot with Breedlove and company graduating-their success will come late if at all. CPA and FRA have some extremely good young players and will beat some of the top teams and might be the two most fun teams to watch-their time will come but probably not this year-too young. Can??™t see Ezel or MLK doing much but that??™s why you play the season.

9AA super entertaining but no runs into the Boro out of this district this year.

Hopefully the refereeing will have some consistency but maybe we should just hope that the refereeing is better than last year.

I don't think Hume Fogg finishes lower than 2nd. Good returning players and solid coaching. I think Pearl Cohn finishes higher than FRA.

East Lit also has a lot to replace in Gleaves.

Is Gleaves the one that was so consistent at the permiter? If so, that could definitely have an impact on East Lit. She was the key to keeping teams off balance. They had so much more weight/size than the other district teams, that opponents had to fill the paint to keep them from running the lane, and that left the three point line wide open.

I agree that there does not look to be teams from this district that will make a run for the Boro, but then you never know. East Lit showed that confidence can take a team a long way. I know that FRA lost Cannady and Jackson to graduation, but they still have Smith and some great young players. I'm not sure about CPA, would love to hear some info about their team, and how they did in camps.

I also think that David Lipscomb might be a dark horse. They are not going to be a one player team this year. Will the players that have been riding the pine for the past two/three years step-up since they finally have the chance? We'll see. Ezell is also returning some good players, and have a new coach. They might be motivated to prove everyone wrong. I'm giddy with anticipation.

In terms of my comment about physicallity...I probably exagerated. It is just tough to watch a player run full steam across the court and slam someone to the ground trying to steal the ball. Concussions and serious injuries were incurred from this type of play last year. I get they were playing hard, but they would be ejected from a soccer game for this. One foul is not much of an incentive to keep someone from seriously injuring another player. That is the type of thing I am worried about. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt on any team. I talked to a parent of a 9AA player that was injured in this same scenario last year. She is a freshman in college, cannot participate in intramurals, and is looking at surgery to give her relief from pain. This is a girl that could have scholarshiped in two sports, but her athletic career is over, and it has impacted her ability to even enjoy college as a normal student. Please, please, please...let's all hope that none of our girls experience this type of injury.

Good luck to all.. .should be fun!

Is Gleaves the one that was so consistent at the permiter? If so, that could definitely have an impact on East Lit. She was the key to keeping teams off balance. They had so much more weight/size than the other district teams, that opponents had to fill the paint to keep them from running the lane, and that left the three point line wide open.

I agree that there does not look to be teams from this district that will make a run for the Boro, but then you never know. East Lit showed that confidence can take a team a long way. I know that FRA lost Cannady and Jackson to graduation, but they still have Smith and some great young players. I'm not sure about CPA, would love to hear some info about their team, and how they did in camps.

I also think that David Lipscomb might be a dark horse. They are not going to be a one player team this year. Will the players that have been riding the pine for the past two/three years step-up since they finally have the chance? We'll see. Ezell is also returning some good players, and have a new coach. They might be motivated to prove everyone wrong. I'm giddy with anticipation.

In terms of my comment about physicallity...I probably exagerated. It is just tough to watch a player run full steam across the court and slam someone to the ground trying to steal the ball. Concussions and serious injuries were incurred from this type of play last year. I get they were playing hard, but they would be ejected from a soccer game for this. One foul is not much of an incentive to keep someone from seriously injuring another player. That is the type of thing I am worried about. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt on any team. I talked to a parent of a 9AA player that was injured in this same scenario last year. She is a freshman in college, cannot participate in intramurals, and is looking at surgery to give her relief from pain. This is a girl that could have scholarshiped in two sports, but her athletic career is over, and it has impacted her ability to even enjoy college as a normal student. Please, please, please...let's all hope that none of our girls experience this type of injury.

Good luck to all.. .should be fun!

Shenita Gleaves is a good player and a great kid and is now playing at Trevecca.

One of the incidents you keep, keep, keep, bringing up is Canady at FRA going down. This injury was something that had already occured during soccer. In that game, she did go down hard and made the injury worse. Nothing flagarant.

The other incident you speak of frequently is the Ezell Harding player getting a concussion. This was a play in which she went up for a rebound and came down backwards and hit her head, a jump ball was called on the play.

If you were at the District Championship Game, you would have saw that an East Literature player got fouled on a fast break in the 3rd quarter and got a concussion. She was advised to not go back in the game by the trainers and she didn't. The East Literature player had to sit out both games of the Region Tournament.

Why has this play not been discussed on here, because most people believe that it is just basketball and stuff like this happens in basketball. Injuries happen all over the country every night in basketball. 10 people + fast pace +no pads + hustle + hard floor = high probablility for injury.

I can see someone writing about those situations right after they happened in a moment of haste, before watching the film to see what really happened, but to be on here talking about it, inconspicuously, 9 months later, is absurd.

May God be with these girls and help keep them free from injury during this special time of their lives.

Any chance there is some actual basketball to be talked about on this thread?

Have any 9AA teams had any scrimmages or playdays? How about this weekend? Anyone playing anywhere?

David Lipscomb scrimmaged Hendersonville last Thursday and will scrimmage Franklin this Thursday. They were supposed to scrimmage BGA, but it got cancelled. They beat Hendersonville pretty handily in each of the first 3 quarters (they cleared the scoreboard after every quarter). Tied the 4th quater, but Lipscomb went deep into the bench in the 4th.

Anyone with anything else to whet our appetites as we get ready for another exiting season in 9AA basketball? I know scrimmages and playdays don't mean anything in the long run, but hey, it's all we have at the moment! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />