A letter to WARREN CO. FANS

beatle78

I don't think beatle78 is playing the race card.

I agree or I would have stopped this topic earlier. When you are at a 4A or 5A school that has few black athletes, like I am at Lawrence County, you often hear from fans and opponents alike that you will never be able to win consistently. I think he is using examples where that isn't true so that he can convince players that you can win anyway because no matter what you do you aren't going to change the racial makeup of your community.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is one of the most ludicrous statemetns ive ever seen on the boards. But before this board gets closed i would like to put this out their , Alcoa ( A state championship team" i would not say mostly consisted of "white players.

Heres a list of our starters , just starters , not to mention some of the other 40 people that dont meet your criteria of "white players"

Chase JAmes QB

Taharin Tyson FB

Darryl Warren FB

Cameron FOster WR

Brother Walker WR

Dee Herbert HB

Jesse Hodge DL

Marcel Wadlen DL

I dont know where your getting your stats from , but its hard for me to think of a State championship team that " consist of mostly white players" and even if i could , what is th relevance of your statement? does it even have any relevance to it? more that likely this is just a irrational statement made by an angry fan

I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE A GREAT TEAM, BUT WE HAVE PEOPLE IN OUR TOWN THAT ALWAYS BRING UP THE ATHLETE CARD AS BAIL OUT. HOW MANY RINGS DOES MEMPHIS MELROSE HAVE? MARYVILLE BEATS ALCOA EVERY YEAR WITH LESS TALENT BUT WITH GOOD COACHING. LOOK AT WEB SITES FROM EACH SCHOOL FIRST START WITH MARYVILLE,DAVID LIPSCOMB, RAVENWOOD,BRENTWOOD,GOODPASTURE,OAKRIDGE,GERMANTOWN, JUST TOO NAME A FEW OF THE TEAMS THAT HAVE MADE IT TO STATE IN TN. LOOK AT TEXAS, CALI,OHIO,PENN, IM TRYING TO SAY YOU DON'T NEED TOP ATHLETES WIN AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. JUST GOOD COACHING.

I agree or I would have stopped this topic earlier. When you are at a 4A or 5A school that has few black athletes, like I am at Lawrence County, you often hear from fans and opponents alike that you will never be able to win consistently. I think he is using examples where that isn't true so that he can convince players that you can win anyway because no matter what you do you aren't going to change the racial makeup of your community.

THANK YOU THATS THE POINT IM TRYING MAKE BUT SOME PEOPLE TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY.....

Dude quit yelling. I totally agree that you don't need high D1 athletes to have a successful program. It just seems that on one hand you're saying a program doesn't need high end athletes, and then on the other hand your saying we have those athletes but they're not playing and we need to get 'em on the football field. I also think you're overstating the athlete case. You seem to imply that if a kid isn't high D1 level then he isn't an 'athlete'. All those top teams in all those states may or may not have multiple D1 players, but they do have a certain level of athlete playing, and that's one thing we definitely need to improve, the overall talent level from the top of the roster to the bottom. Which is something I think we both agree on. But don't come on and say you don't need athletes to win and then use Riverdale with all their college players as an example. Heck, just look at Cookeville in our own region, they're not loaded with 'athletes' but they've been on top of the region for a few years because they have a good program.

Btw, how much more coverage do you think the paper should give them? The football team is always the front page story on Sunday with a sidebar or two generally added in somewhere.

I think all anyone one wants in WC is a better program, but its not as easy as Firing/hiring a new coaching staff as some people might believe.The coaching staff is doing a good job (just look at where they came from).From my veiw Coach D and the commitment to off season workouts,teaching camps and off season coaching will benefit our program in the next few years .

Be patient dont throw the coaching staff under any bus its a tough job,

Dude quit yelling. I totally agree that you don't need high D1 athletes to have a successful program. It just seems that on one hand you're saying a program doesn't need high end athletes, and then on the other hand your saying we have those athletes but they're not playing and we need to get 'em on the football field. I also think you're overstating the athlete case. You seem to imply that if a kid isn't high D1 level then he isn't an 'athlete'. All those top teams in all those states may or may not have multiple D1 players, but they do have a certain level of athlete playing, and that's one thing we definitely need to improve, the overall talent level from the top of the roster to the bottom. Which is something I think we both agree on. But don't come on and say you don't need athletes to win and then use Riverdale with all their college players as an example. Heck, just look at Cookeville in our own region, they're not loaded with 'athletes' but they've been on top of the region for a few years because they have a good program.

Btw, how much more coverage do you think the paper should give them? The football team is always the front page story on Sunday with a sidebar or two generally added in somewhere.

I think added press should be the goal, to make these guys a household name in our city now, not if they beat a good or go to the playoffs.Where a small town, there's no reason that we cant avg 3000-5000 fans at home games.Remember only 35 kids out 1800 students. Just added depth of 10 kids will help maybe a few OL and DB/WR'S. WHAT is the coaching staff, school,AD, doing to reach those other kids. They might not be D1 but for us it might be enough. ALSO speed kills, if we got kids at skill positions that run 4.7's they should be down to 4.5 at the start of next season. I personally didn't see big speed improvements with the young players. I think if the kids see their times go down thats added boost, and with the O we run, added speed can lead for few W'S just on speed alone. NEXT SEASON, those 55 kids should the faster and stronger. cause im waiting to go to OHIO and play in the CHALLENGE I hope everyone else has the vivion 2.

I think all anyone one wants in WC is a better program, but its not as easy as Firing/hiring a new coaching staff as some people might believe.The coaching staff is doing a good job (just look at where they came from).From my veiw Coach D and the commitment to off season workouts,teaching camps and off season coaching will benefit our program in the next few years .

Be patient dont throw the coaching staff under any bus its a tough job,

TRUE.