A letter to WARREN CO. FANS

beatle78

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the way to get kids out to play football is to put their name in the paper when they're 8 years old? Brilliant! How about we try to instill in the youngsters the values of playing for a team, being a servant leader, sacrificing yourself for the good of your teammates, etc... How about we don't raise a(nother) generation that thinks it's all about their personal glory, Mr. Ocho Cinco. No we don't want to do that, let's blame the paper! After all, that's as easy as blaming the coaches, cause surely there's not that much to running a paper, except the fact that putting one kid's name in the paper means somebody else's name gets left out, or putting one youth league team's game in means another one gets left out, so somebody's gonna get mad either way. And they will then probably get on a stinking message board and throw blame around. Go apply for that job before you criticize it. It's a lot easier to say what should've been done after the fact. Just remember, somebody has to make the decision that you sit back and complain about. Btw, do you understand that a newspaper's job isn't to promote any program's agenda, but to report on what's happening in the community? IMO, the paper has always done a good job of working with the program and has been very kind to it, even at times when there wasn't a whole lot to be kind about. Btw, I've not seen anything about Pamela Rodgers's court dates in the sports section.

Really? You believe this? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Well, it took you a while, but you finally said something I can agree with!

Are you saying De La Salle didn't have any athletes? 151 wins in a row with no athletes? Hope I'm misunderstanding something here.

First, if peer pressure won't get 'em out there, what will?

Second, why should we do anything for the ones NOT playing? What have they earned? You should be doing more for the ones who went through 9 months of weights, spring practice, summer agilities and conditioning, fall camp, and ARE playing, then maybe some of the others might want to play. You tell us what sould be done, outside of putting their names in the paper from youth league, of course.

Yes I agree, but where do we start, nothing has worked. Also the team that ended the streak was BELLVUE WASH with only 2 D1 prospects? So you are saying W.C. HAS NO D1 PROSPECTS. I went through workouts, but the team knew we had kids that could get us to state if they had played. Plus W.C. doesnt have a web page, I just want more coverage pee wee to high school. I just want the kids feel that if they play they will be apart something big in our city. ALSO does anyone remember our basketball team under coach BOBBY LUNA in the mid 90's no DI talent but those kids went out destroyed teams.

We already have had more coaches than the Oakland Raiders in the past few years,Im not big on the coach we have now but what can be done....

Success breeds success. The more games the team wins, the more players that will play, in turn, the more games the team will win - and even more players want to play. But it works both ways. The more games the team loses, the less players want to play. It's a vicious circle, really. The fact is, you won't draw a big name coach to Warren County. The coach you have has taken a program that wasn't winning anything. Wasn't beating the worst of teams. In fact, in the few years before Madewell arrived, the team was the worst of teams. Coffee County was winning one game a year. Guess who it was against? Hey, I don't have a dog in this race. But I have seen improvement, vast improvement, from the Warren County teams of five years ago. Of course it can always get better. If we settle then what would we have to try and accomplish? I would hope one is not satisfied with 3-5 wins per year. BUT, understand things take time. Give Warren County one GOOD year. One stellar year - and things will climb fast. I'm not saying that will ever happen. But the fact is, the Pioneers will not get a coach that grades out higher than Madewell does, as an overall coach, until it puts a better product on the field.

Also, it's hard to follow your arguments? You say the team doesn't need athletes to win. Yet you were begging players that weren't playing to come and play because they could take the team to the state? I thought it didn't take players? I mean afterall, the best team's in the nation don't have athletes, or so you say?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yes I agree, but where do we start, nothing has worked. Also the team that ended the streak was BELLVUE WASH with only 2 D1 prospects? So you are saying W.C. HAS NO D1 PROSPECTS. I went through workouts, but the team knew we had kids that could get us to state if they had played. Plus W.C. doesnt have a web page, I just want more coverage pee wee to high school. I just want the kids feel that if they play they will be apart something big in our city. ALSO does anyone remember our basketball team under coach BOBBY LUNA in the mid 90's no DI talent but those kids went out destroyed teams.

ONE last statement last year's game between SOUTH LAKE CAROLL VS MIAMI NORTHWESTERN- MIA DI PROSPECTS 10+ SOTHLAKE maybe 3 at the most on that squad but played almost to a victory, and you are saying it takes great players to have great program I see why W.C. will never win AND ALSO THE SOUTHLAKE STAR PLAYERS WERE ON T-SHIRTS AND ON LOCAL ADS ON TV AND YOU DISAGREEING ABOUT MOST LOCAL COVERAGE / I JUST WANT BE RESPECTABLE PROGRAM NOW LET ME SEE YOU GO TEXAS, ALA,GA WITH THAT ATTITUDE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS YOU WILL GET RAN OUT OF TOWN...

ONE last statement last year's game between SOUTH LAKE CAROLL VS MIAMI NORTHWESTERN- MIA DI PROSPECTS 10+ SOTHLAKE maybe 3 at the most on that squad but played almost to a victory, and you are saying it takes great players to have great program I see why W.C. will never win AND ALSO THE SOUTHLAKE STAR PLAYERS WERE ON T-SHIRTS AND ON LOCAL ADS ON TV AND YOU DISAGREEING ABOUT MOST LOCAL COVERAGE / I JUST WANT BE RESPECTABLE PROGRAM NOW LET ME SEE YOU GO TEXAS, ALA,GA WITH THAT ATTITUDE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS YOU WILL GET RAN OUT OF TOWN...

Coach says: Hey Billy Bob, your pretty athletic, I see you playing basketball all the time. You think you want to play football for me? I mean, if you play I will put your name on a t-shirt and make sure you are in the newspaper

Billy Bob says: Well golly coach, I wasn't too sure until you said my name could be on a t-shirt.

.... That argument holds ZERO water, none.

Hey, we all want to win. That is the ultimate goal. But to compare Warren County to South Lake Caroll, Miami Northwestern, Pratville Alabama, Hoover, or any other nationaly recognized team is comparing apples to oranges at this point. You don't just rub some magic dust on the problem. A coach doesn't just say, "Hey, I'm gonna come in and get you guys on t-shirts and buy you some tv ads and get you some great local coverage so you better be ranked nationally". .... Local coverage is what it is. I dont' remember who said it earlier but he/she said it well, the newspaper covers what happens. It is not the paper's job to promote a certain athletic program over another. It reports the news. It isn't a mouthpiece for the football booster club. If the team does not win, dont' expect front page coverage.

ONE last statement last year's game between SOUTH LAKE CAROLL VS MIAMI NORTHWESTERN- MIA DI PROSPECTS 10+ SOTHLAKE maybe 3 at the most on that squad but played almost to a victory,

So the team with more athletes won the game? Or are you saying almost counts?

and you are saying it takes great players to have great program

I never said that at all. But having great players sure helps you win games. A great program sustains itself even when the talent is thin.

I JUST WANT BE RESPECTABLE PROGRAM

We all want a respectable program. It just seems that respectable is all too often the next step that we haven't taken yet for many people. 5 years ago respectable would have been playing Lincoln County to within 50 points. 2 years later we took 'em to OT at their house. Maybe we haven't had the 'breakthough' win yet, but ask the region if we're any more respected than we were before Madewell took over.

NOW LET ME SEE YOU GO TEXAS, ALA,GA WITH THAT ATTITUDE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS YOU WILL GET RAN OUT OF TOWN...

With what attitude? What have I said that would get me run out of town in, apparently, a 'real' football state.

If you look closely at each state champion this year in each state, you will see that most of teams are mostly consisted of white players.

this is one of the most ludicrous statemetns ive ever seen on the boards. But before this board gets closed i would like to put this out their , Alcoa ( A state championship team" i would not say mostly consisted of "white players.

Heres a list of our starters , just starters , not to mention some of the other 40 people that dont meet your criteria of "white players"

Chase JAmes QB

Taharin Tyson FB

Darryl Warren FB

Cameron FOster WR

Brother Walker WR

Dee Herbert HB

Jesse Hodge DL

Marcel Wadlen DL

I dont know where your getting your stats from , but its hard for me to think of a State championship team that " consist of mostly white players" and even if i could , what is th relevance of your statement? does it even have any relevance to it? more that likely this is just a irrational statement made by an angry fan

I'm sure beatle meant well when he started this thread. He just wants a respectable high school football team. The trouble is, he said most champions "consisted of white players." When trying to build a strong case for a football renassiance, you probably don't want to play the race card. I think it's less about ethnicity and more about talented kids who can can make plays.

OK look at MARYVILLE are they loaded with 4.3 guys NO but they seem to keep moving along, how many games have they won vs ALCOA which has way more talent. Im just tired of the BAIL-OUT ROUTINE that our city use every time the team loses. ALSO the team has been to the playoffs, in which they should, with 4 teams making it each year. ALL I ask is where is the vision for the team. NO more RIVERDALE GALLITAN, OAKLAND, yes I will compare W.C. to the top programs in the U.S. WE should hold those kids to a high standard they walk the hall ways at school. You guys are playing with kids futures, us as a city, the coaches, the parents. I PRAISE THOSE 35 KIDS THAT PLAY NOW. They watch tv ESPN games of the week, CSS and KIRK HERBSTREIT. Am I the only one who think those can go 8-2 with a top ten state ranking. As I was leaving the last home game vs L.C. I thought we had just as much as they did. Our young guys held up even though they are playing iron man. ALSO look at RIVERDALE when they were on top. FERNANDO BRYANT, ERIC LOCKE, DAVE THOMAS, ANTRON PEEBELS, GERALD GRIFFEN, TARON HENERY, ALVIN DUKE, GASTON MILLER, does that look like tons of D1 talent I almost forgot BRIAN DAVIS. With 1800 students we cant find at least 5 D1 prospects every 3 years. I havent seen the vision from the people up top. Another statement has to be made about local coverage. The DEKALB radio station was hyping there QB up like he was TOM BRADY. And all I asked was press cover more of those 35 players win or lose. I'll still be a fan not jump on the wagon. I guess I WILL SEE COACH RANKIN THIS YEAR AT STATE. THIS WILL HURT SOME OF YOU ASK THE BURRO COACHES ABOUT YOUR PROGRAM. JUST BEING HONEST WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN THE MID STATE JUST ASK WHITE CO. AND DEKALB CO.............

I don't think beatle78 is playing the race card. The more I think about it and have read the opening post several times, I think he is making reference to the statement used alot around here that "We need more black athletes on the football team".

As far as the newspaper goes they used to work with us pretty good when I used to help run and coach in the youth league. They gave us a form to fill out after the game as far as scores, stats and comments about the game. The coach's would complete the form after the game and we would collect them at the end of the day and turn them in to the sports editor of the paper on Mondays. They always done great with the info given and would come by to take pics when they could.